• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

November Clink Auction

248 posts in this topic

I've always been a big fan of Mystic Comics #10. It's been in a holding pattern for about a week now so we'll see if it ends up getting a big bump at the end of the auction. Love the Marvel Mystery 40 except for the annoyance of someone's name written through the title.

One that I had some outside hope for was the Action 8 but it's just doubled in bid price and still not hitting the reserve...oh well, still a few possibilities left before the auction ends.

I've always been a big fan of Mystic Comics #10. It's been in a holding pattern for about a week now so we'll see if it ends up getting a big bump at the end of the auction. Love the Marvel Mystery 40 except for the annoyance of someone's name written through the title.

One that I had some outside hope for was the Action 8 but it's just doubled in bid price and still not hitting the reserve...oh well, still a few possibilities left before the auction ends.

I imagine the grade would be higher if not for the page quality. It does present fairly well.

My understanding is that cgc grades are irrespective of page quality. Furthermore there is a school of thought that says "light tan to off white" is actually a better page quality per the cgc paradigm than the more common "cream to off white" that we usually see. Anything other than brittle is fine for most collectors of key golden age, and they'll even take brittle pages if it's a rarely offered mega key.

-J.

My understanding is that cgc grades are irrespective of page quality. Furthermore there is a school of thought that says "light tan to off white" is actually a better page quality per the cgc paradigm than the more common "cream to off white" that we usually see. Anything other than brittle is fine for most collectors of key golden age, and they'll even take brittle pages if it's a rarely offered mega key.

-J.

CGC grades are irrespective of page quality down to "cream to off-white" - they do take something off for "light tan to off-white" (or so popular wisdom says; who knows for sure since they don't publish their standards).

Light tan is supposedly in between cream and brittle, with light tan pages being stiff but not yet brittle. Many GA collectors, including me, do avoid the LT/OW designation. (I don't even buy cream to off-white; I don't collect keys but I do go after some scarce books at times.)

Check out this link for a detailed paradigm of cgc page quality designation. It seems to be consistent with what I have seen and they also provide additional examples. Notice LT-OW is 5th while CR- OW is 12th. Also, there are indeed known comics graded by cgc with LT pages at a 9.8 grade and with slightly brittle pages all the way up to a 6.5.

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/CGCWhiteness/

Really all this does is tell me again that, other than pages being slightly brittle or brittle PQ means something between very little and bupkiss especially since comics have been known to be CPR'd and come back with different PQ designations on numerous occasions.

-J.

Cream to ow is a superior cgc pq designation to light tan to ow. Here is the pq hierarchy from "best" to "worst"

White (pink )

Off white

Cream

Light tan

Tan

Slightly brittle

Brittle

Cgc will generally detract grade for slightly brittle and brittle.

Gator: the article addresses that as well at the bottom with examples in the chart. It is interesting that all of the examples of books with CR-LT PQ have old labels:

"Shouldn't "light tan" be above "tan" and below "cream"?

Based on the CGC page color schema of listing edge color to interior color (or a single color if both are the same), the ranking of Light Tan above Cream would appear to be correct. The first color (edge color) is almost always the darker color due to the nature of oxidation and that the edges are more exposed to air than the interior portion of the page.

I have yet to see a label that states "Light Tan to Cream Pages", but there are many examples of "Cream to Light Tan Pages" which taken in context of other labels...

Off-White to White Pages

Light Tan to Off-White Pages

Cream to Light Tan Pages

...would indicate that Cream is a worse condition than Light Tan. "

Is the author completely missing something?

-J.

Gator: the article addresses that as well at the bottom with examples in the chart. It is interesting that all of the examples of books with CR-LT PQ have old labels:

"Shouldn't "light tan" be above "tan" and below "cream"?

Based on the CGC page color schema of listing edge color to interior color (or a single color if both are the same), the ranking of Light Tan above Cream would appear to be correct. The first color (edge color) is almost always the darker color due to the nature of oxidation and that the edges are more exposed to air than the interior portion of the page.

I have yet to see a label that states "Light Tan to Cream Pages", but there are many examples of "Cream to Light Tan Pages" which taken in context of other labels...

Off-White to White Pages

Light Tan to Off-White Pages

Cream to Light Tan Pages

...would indicate that Cream is a worse condition than Light Tan. "

Is the author completely missing something?

-J.

Cream is a better page quality than light tan. Cream to off white is better than light tan to off white.

I have never seen a cream to light tan designation (shrug)

on the flip side, the lt tan to ow is better than a light tan to cream (or vice versa if such a designation exists) , as the second quality designation is superior.... ie, ow is better than cream or lt tan, and therefore would be listed higher...

has nothing to do with just the first pq qualifier, but more an "avg" of the 2

the point is really moot, as both borock, haspel and I believe even west have confirmed that light tan is "inferior" to cream (thumbs u

on the flip side, the lt tan to ow is better than a light tan to cream (or vice versa if such a designation exists) , as the second quality designation is superior.... ie, ow is better than cream or lt tan, and therefore would be listed higher...

the point is really moot, as both borock, haspel and I believe even west have confirmed that light tan is "inferior" to cream (thumbs u

"Light Tan to Off-white" means the edges of the pages are light tan and the center of the pages are off-white. You will never see an "Off-white to Light Tan" designation... unless of course, someone starts to burn the center of a comic. doh!

FYI: the reason the Superworld #1 in the auction is graded 7.5 is due to the PQ. CGC stated that it wouldn't give a higher grade than 7.5 (the Superworld looks closer to an 8.5 or a 9.0) directly because of the PQ. Personally, I thought the paper looked better than rated, but whadda I know??

"Light Tan to Off-white" means the edges of the pages are light tan and the center of the pages are off-white. You will never see an "Off-white to Light Tan" designation... unless of course, someone starts to burn the center of a comic. doh!

Thanks west. To the best of your knowledge does cream to light tan even exist ?

Cream to ow is a superior cgc pq designation to light tan to ow. Here is the pq hierarchy from "best" to "worst"

White (pink )

Off white

Cream

Light tan

Tan

Slightly brittle

Brittle

Flake

Dust

Cgc will generally detract grade for slightly brittle and brittle.

you forgot two lol

Thanks west. To the best of your knowledge does cream to light tan even exist ?

BlackCat33-1.jpg

Defies "logic"

I've seen some of the Harvey file copies that have a reverse halo with it darker in the middle. It has been restricted to the cover and usually to just Black Cat #30. This one was a very early graded book and CGC hasn't really pinned down page quality even now. I just consider it an early failed experiment.

Here is a reverse halo #30.

BlackCat30.jpg