• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

November Clink Auction

248 posts in this topic

Got a few GA items in the current Clink auction myself, so here's my also rather shameless plug - a high grade (8.5!) Adventures Into Weird Worlds 1, a run of high grade Mystics with quite a few pedigrees included, and a mid grade Crime Suspenstories 22.

As always, there are a few books I'm interested in - the Cap 1 and 37, but they're already attracting serious attention...

Were you pleased with how your Mystics performed? I thought the final prices were pretty strong on the high-grade examples.

I was generally very pleased with how they did, if not surprised in a handful of cases. The books all did at least as well as I expected, except possibly the 5 and the 6 - the 6 is definitely scarcer than most of the books in the run, but was only a 6.0 after all. If it had been a 9.0 you could've added an extra zero to the closing price.

I saw the 9.6 copy of Little Dot #1 jumped from $14,000 to just under $26k in the last few seconds. :o Very active auction with lots of great stuff for sale but most of the ones I wanted just jumped above my expectations. I did see that the 4.5 Superboy #1 seemed to go for a relative bargain at about $1400, so I guess there were some deals to be had.

I saw the 9.6 copy of Little Dot #1 jumped from $14,000 to just under $26k in the last few seconds. :o Very active auction with lots of great stuff for sale but most of the ones I wanted just jumped above my expectations. I did see that the 4.5 Superboy #1 seemed to go for a relative bargain at about $1400, so I guess there were some deals to be had.

The Superboy 1 did have the cover reattached with tape, which will put off some potential buyers.

The latest white-paged book I cracked had interior cover tanning.
This definitely occurs with some of the Dell File copies. I'm okay with a certain amount of it and with the Dell white-pagers it's usually acceptable but it would be better if it were noted on the label.

As far as ascertaining "freshness" it's much more of a challenge when a book is slabbed. I'm pretty good these days but when you are buying a non-returnable slab based on scans there will inevitably be some books that don't end up looking like you'd hope they would.

I have to respect dealers who accept returns of slabbed books. I know Rob Hughes of Archangels accepted a return of a slabbed book from me with no hassle whatsoever; the book had some rust on a staple that wasn't apparent in the scans. I'm struggling to think of other dealers who'll do that, but there must be some.

:hi:

Anything is returnable here at Bedrock City. No questions asked.

Children :wishluck:

which one of yours did Bedrock father? (shrug)

whew!

can't recall the last time i was shut out in a c'link auction; happens now and again with heritage, but i usually go home with something from the link. nada this time, tho', but it wasn't for a lack of trying.

can't recall the last time i was shut out in a c'link auction; happens now and again with heritage, but i usually go home with something from the link. nada this time, tho', but it wasn't for a lack of trying.

:o

Got a few GA items in the current Clink auction myself, so here's my also rather shameless plug - a high grade (8.5!) Adventures Into Weird Worlds 1, a run of high grade Mystics with quite a few pedigrees included, and a mid grade Crime Suspenstories 22.

As always, there are a few books I'm interested in - the Cap 1 and 37, but they're already attracting serious attention...

Were you pleased with how your Mystics performed? I thought the final prices were pretty strong on the high-grade examples.

I was generally very pleased with how they did, if not surprised in a handful of cases. The books all did at least as well as I expected, except possibly the 5 and the 6 - the 6 is definitely scarcer than most of the books in the run, but was only a 6.0 after all. If it had been a 9.0 you could've added an extra zero to the closing price.

....The 6 was a bargain...."The Eye of Doom" is about as good as Wolverton gets. The 15 looked MUCH nicer than a 6.5 and also seemed reasonable. Had I been off last night both of those would have gone higher.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....The 6 was a bargain...."The Eye of Doom" is about as good as Wolverton gets.

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

"Eye of Doom" :cloud9:

I used to like ComicConnect's format as both a buyer and seller, but have gone back to appreciating the straight forward approach of ComicLink. For instance, there's nothing worse as seller on CC than having an item with a $500 FMV still sitting at $60 (after 4 weeks of auction) with only 1 hour to go. It seems that some buyers on CC choose to watch an item until the very end (instead of bidding) and for whatever reason either forget about the auction (due to the long wait) or have to tend to personal business during final bidding.

I was stunned by that one. I actually thought I had a shot at it for much less. doh!

The Peanuts 1 (9.8 White) went for a healthy $6,100. Strong price for a book that's not scarce, although that was easily the best copy that I know of.

You guys got some fantastic stuff. Congrats all around. I was a pitiful 0 for 3 on this go 'round. Really wanted that Flash Comics #1 but just couldn't rationalize going over $9K on that one. Supes 17 blew way past what I thought it would, that book seems to be picking up steam, though they don't seem to be particularly rare or hard to find at any given time.

-J.

My point is that, at least with MrMyst's Superworld in the CLink auction, who cares about the PQ it's a great looking book and I think that it is absolutely ridiculous to ding a book or cap a grade based on PQ alone and nothing more.

-J.

Really? many collectors would prefer lower grade with white pages over higher grade structure with lesser page quality.

And many collectors wouldn't, if they find CGC's PQ designations to be wishy-washy. Many collectors find the hard numerical grade- while also subjective- to be more inclusive of the book's overall condition, and wouldn't trade just to get "White" pages on a book that's several grades lower overall. But to each his own. We all have our deal breakers and deal makers, and one of the things I like about these boards is that all opinions and collections are welcome to be shared. :foryou:

To those who mentioned they had "Tan" paged books that were flaking, it sounds like those were in fact "Brittle" pages, as "Tan" pages are not supposed to be doing that per generally accepted PQ guideline, though someone please correct me if there is info out there that states something otherwise. I have personally never had a "Tan" pager do that, and certainly not an "LT-OW" one, though I have noticed a silver age key with rarely seen "OW/W" PQ designation on the slab I have doing it slightly. So go figure.

-J.