• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,815 posts in this topic

I can't believe somebody bought the bound edition and ripped it apart to create this monstrosity just to try to make a couple bucks. Wait, maybe I can actually. :pullhair:

-J.

Whether it be to for the purpose of sale or for the purpose of separating the copy of Batman #1 from the rest of the pack, I can see a number of reasons for doing so. While bound-volumes are cool, and often a cool piece of history, you can't enjoy them the same way you could a slabbed book. Frequent handling (flipping through pages) is not "good" for paper aged over seven decades. But even beyond the preservation factors, slabbing the book individually is great for presentation.

From a content standpoint, Batman #1 is very different from subsequent issues. The psychological depth and darkness of the Joker is greatly reduced by the time of Batman #2 -- let alone following issues. So beyond the obvious appeal of it being a "No. 1" with historical first appearances, Batman #1 is simply different in both tone and content from the rest of the run.

Hence, there is good reason to remove it from a bound-volume to appreciate it individually. (thumbs u

Members of the Batman #1 club as of 6/25/14.

*9 CGC universal copies, 2 CGC NG universal copies, 6 CGC restored copies and 5 raw copies.

CGC Universal:

4.0 (CRM/OW) Bunky Brian (28)

3.5 (OW/W) G.A.tor (12)

3.5 (CRM/OW) sarte (10)

3.0 (OW/W) Bunky Brian (28)

2.5 (OW/W) Shortspanishguy (32)

2.5 (OW) Dark Knight (15)

2.5 (CRM/OW) Racer-X (1)

2.0 (OW/W) Primetime (4)

1.8 (OW/W) Bunky Brian (28)

NG Coverless, missing 1st wrap (Brittle) BaltimoreLauren (1)

NG 22nd page (OW/W) Irish75 (27)

CGC Restored:

7.5 (OW/W)--Moderate (P); Xavier Logan (5)

7.0 (OW)--Moderate (P); ciorac (2)

6.0 (CRM/OW)--Moderate (P); RedFury (2)

5.5 (OW)--Extensive (P); goldenacase (14)

5.0 Extensive (P); 50AE_DE (9)

0.5 (CRM/OW)--Slight (A); WayneTec (1)

Raw Copies:

batman_fan (1)

AnkurJ (3)

BitterOldMan (4)

Ihcomics (4)

woowoo (33)

Edited by Wayne-Tec

I can't believe somebody bought the bound edition and ripped it apart to create this monstrosity just to try to make a couple bucks. Wait, maybe I can actually. :pullhair:

-J.

Whether it be to for the purpose of sale or for the purpose of separating the copy of Batman #1 from the rest of the pack, I can see a number of reasons for doing so. While bound-volumes are cool, and often a cool piece of history, you can't enjoy them the same way you could a slabbed book. Frequent handling (flipping through pages) is not "good" for paper aged over seven decades. But even beyond the preservation factors, slabbing the book individually is great for presentation.

From a content standpoint, Batman #1 is very different from subsequent issues. The psychological depth and darkness of the Joker is greatly reduced by the time of Batman #2 -- let alone following issues. So beyond the obvious appeal of it being a "No. 1" with historical first appearances, Batman #1 is simply different in both tone and content from the rest of the run.

Hence, there is good reason to remove it from a bound-volume to appreciate it individually. (thumbs u

Content wise you are correct but considering that every issue from that bound volume is in that auction I don't believe the seller's intention in butchering a perfectly fine and well preserved bound volume was quite so well intentioned lol. And to make matters worse, the books don't even present nicely in slab. Yech.

-J.

Content wise you are correct but considering that every issue from that bound volume is in that auction I don't believe the seller's intention in butchering a perfectly fine and well preserved bound volume was quite so well intentioned lol. And to make matters worse, the books don't even present nicely in slab. Yech.

-J.

I believe it presents better in the slab than it would within the bound-volume, but that's a matter of personal preference.

One of the many cool things about Batman #1 is, as I said before, how different it is from the rest of the run. Many incorrectly believe that the Batman stories became soft after the introduction of Robin -- but the Joker stories in Batman #1 are easily the darkest of the Golden Age.

Pre-Robin Tec stories (the last of which was actually printed in Batman #1) may have had that gothic theme, but the Joker stories in Batman #1 were psychological and surprisingly dark for a book that sports such a bright, positive front cover.

This thread needs a... :bump:

There is a Batman #1 CGC Restored 0.5, missing back cover, copy in CL's focused auction ending in a little less than two days.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2014june%26session%3D2%23Item%5F1016473&id=1016473

It's currently at $4,095. Any guesses as to how much it will close for?

Does anyone know the final hammer on this one?

There is a Batman #1 CGC Restored 0.5, missing back cover, copy in CL's focused auction ending in a little less than two days.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2014june%26session%3D2%23Item%5F1016473&id=1016473

$7222

$7222

An ok result on the number one. But a bit of a whiff on the others that were torn from the same bound volume.

-J.