• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,815 posts in this topic

These sales are decent price points but we also have to figure in the "timing" issue--who/when/what determines the FMV of that particular copy at that particular time. And this is even more true of the limited GA supply comparatively to the "dime a dozen" SA out there. I have sold enough GA that realized more than FMV at the time. Bat 1s are 200 strong total on the census and probably another 200+ raw copies out there. There's always a bat 1 on the open market but the right buyer, at the right time can realize more. Timing. That said, low grade Bat 1s are hitting $14k-$16k/point pending eye appeal, PQ, and timing :)

Well the Sparkle City .5 didn't hit $10,000

Did anyone honestly think it would?

-J.

I am actually amazed at how high it did close. It was a beyond ugly copy and incomplete to boot.

+1. It petered out at just under the highest I thought it might go for, though I am a bit surprised it even broke 8k with such poor eye appeal. Looking forward to that 4 on comic link now. Any thoughts on FMV on that one?

-J.

I would guess in the $35k to $40k but given how high prices have been, maybe I am low (shrug)

That would be a smoking deal at those prices, I know for a fact certain buyers going to bid in the 55K area. 14K a point, with better eye appeal is the current market, IMHO

-J.

I am actually amazed at how high it did close. It was a beyond ugly copy and incomplete to boot.

+1. It petered out at just under the highest I thought it might go for, though I am a bit surprised it even broke 8k with such poor eye appeal. Looking forward to that 4 on comic link now. Any thoughts on FMV on that one?

-J.

I would guess in the $35k to $40k but given how high prices have been, maybe I am low (shrug)

That would be a smoking deal at those prices, I know for a fact certain buyers going to bid in the 55K area. 14K a point, with better eye appeal is the current market, IMHO

correct. $55k-$65k will be the range once the firing has ceased and the smoke clears lol

-J.

-J.

In the grand scheme of things, I suspect the sale of the 0.5 copy will look like an absolute steal down the road. Considering a coverless, brittle paged copy missing the entire first wrap and centerfold sold for just under 6K, a copy with the centerfold, with the first wrap, with the front cover and superior, non-brittle PQ is a comparative steal.

-J.

-J.

correct. $55k-$65k will be the range once the firing has ceased and the smoke clears lol

:slapfight: Its when the fire has ceased and the smoke cleared that the flippers move in for the snipe ...

Edited by Marvel Zombie

-J.

-J.

In the grand scheme of things, I suspect the sale of the 0.5 copy will look like an absolute steal down the road. Considering a coverless, brittle paged copy missing the entire first wrap and centerfold sold for just under 6K, a copy with the centerfold, with the first wrap, with the front cover and superior, non-brittle PQ is a comparative steal.

The only problem here is the assmption that the 6K price for a brittle incomplete interior is sustainable. I don't think it is and I think that was a fluke and isn't likely to occur again.I can buy a nice complete interior for 7K ish any day of the week.

There have been several sales on .5 copies missing the back cover in the 7-8K range which I think it right, after all I can buy a 3.5 restored copy for 13K, which is a better deal then an incomplete ugly beat up copy for 8K IMO.

James G

-J.

-J.

The only problem here is the assmption that the 6K price for a brittle incomplete interior is sustainable. I don't think it is and I think that was a fluke and isn't likely to occur again.I can buy a nice complete interior for 7K ish any day of the week.

There have been several sales on .5 copies missing the back cover in the 7-8K range which I think it right, after all I can buy a 3.5 restored copy for 13K, which is a better deal then an incomplete ugly beat up copy for 8K IMO.

James G

I felt the same way about coverless copies until I saw price escalation. The copy that sold for about 6K sold for over 5K on Heritage months before that. While its only two examples, the price is trending upward.

-J.

-J.

James G

I felt the same way about coverless copies until I saw price escalation. The copy that sold for about 6K sold for over 5K on Heritage months before that. While its only two examples, the price is trending upward.

Bat 1s are forever popular. Even if someone pays a little more than current market value, the long term investment potential is real and the satisfaction of owning a Bat 1 is fulfilled. (thumbs u

Bat 1s are forever popular. Even if someone pays a little more than current market value, the long term investment potential is real and the satisfaction of owning a Bat 1 is fulfilled. (thumbs u

You really hit the nail right on the head.

I've been fortunate enough to own some great books over the years, but none of them could compare to my Batman #1. If I had to choose between Tec #27 and Batman #1, I'd choose Tec #27 because of value and rarity but in terms of overall enjoyment, it's Batman #1 all day long.

I've been fortunate enough to own some great books over the years, but none of them could compare to my Batman #1. If I had to choose between Tec #27 and Batman #1, I'd choose Tec #27 because of value and rarity but in terms of overall enjoyment, it's Batman #1 all day long.

There's many more Bat pages in Bat 1 than Tec 27. And someone called the Joker I think. lol

There's many more Bat pages in Bat 1 than Tec 27. And someone called the Joker I think. lol

This is something that is a bit overlooked IMO. In the CGC era that we live in today, many books remain encapsulated. When looking at a slabbed Action #1 or Tec #27, it's easy to overlook the fact that the majority of those books are comprised of non-Superman and non-Batman content. Fewer stories, fewer pages = less history in respects to a page by page measure.

While I do feel that the supporting stories of both books are a bit underrated, they still do not hold a candle to their superhero counterparts. If they did, pre-hero issues of Detective, More Fun and Adventure would sell at rates comparable to their superhero counterparts. Those of us who love the history of the medium can appreciate them, but we're not likely to see billion dollar film franchises based off of them either.

Batman #1 doesn't just have bulk-content -- it introduced, arguably, the two most famous villains in all of DC Comics -- in addition to being the first issue of the solo series dedicated to DC's more popular hero.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

This is something that is a bit overlooked IMO. In the CGC era that we live in today, many books remain encapsulated. When looking at a slabbed Action #1 or Tec #27, it's easy to overlook the fact that the majority of those books are comprised of non-Superman and non-Batman content. Fewer stories, fewer pages = less history in respects to a page by page measure.

While I do feel that the supporting stories of both books are a bit underrated, they still do not hold a candle to their superhero counterparts. If they did, pre-hero issues of Detective, More Fun and Adventure would sell at rates comparable to their superhero counterparts. Those of us who love the history of the medium can appreciate them, but we're not likely to see billion dollar film franchises based off of them either.

Batman #1 doesn't just have bulk-content -- it introduced, arguably, the two most famous villains in all of DC Comics -- in addition to being the first issue of the solo series dedicated to DC's more popular hero.

Joker, yes, but Catwoman is definitely not more famous than Lex Luthor.

I beg to differ.

Though it was a flop, Catwoman had her own feature film.

It's debatable, for sure, but I do not feel that Luthor is more famous than Catwoman.

I beg to differ.

It's debatable, for sure, but I do not feel that Luthor is more famous than Catwoman.

Agreed. Luthor is anecdotal, at best, to the non comic collecting public. If known at all. Catwoman is broadly known (no pun intended) by the general public.

I beg to differ.

Agreed. Luthor is anecdotal, at best, to the non comic collecting public. If known at all. Catwoman is broadly known (no pun intended) by the general public.

I don't agree. Lex is known by my generation's non-comics readers from the Chris Reeve Superman movies, and to a younger generation from ten seasons of Smallville. He's far from anecdotal.

I beg to differ.

I don't agree. Lex is known by my generation's non-comics readers from the Chris Reeve Superman movies, and to a younger generation from ten seasons of Smallville. He's far from anecdotal.

Michael Rosenbaum :headbang::headbang:

+1. I love Bats 1 for the joker's first appearance. I would want it just as much if catwoman had nothing to do with it. She is incidental to this book's importance/value IMO. It's all about the Joker baby.

Did Luthor's first appearance in action slightly pre date the joker's in bats 1? The "DC Comics Publication" bullet on each one makes me think yes?

-J.

I beg to differ.

Miss Tessmacher!!!!!!!!!!!!

I beg to differ.

Miss Tessmacher!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone should have their very own Miss Tessmacher. That woman has a heart of gold.