• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,815 posts in this topic

If this sale is legit, it seems like a steal next to the Tec #31 CGC 2.0 that recently sold on Heritage for $34,655.

I understand recent FMV may place the two books close, but in the long run, I don't see them as being anywhere near close.

If this sale is legit, it seems like a steal next to the Tec #31 CGC 2.0 that recently sold on Heritage for $34,655.

I understand recent FMV may place the two books close, but in the long run, I don't see them as being anywhere near close.

I agree.

grade for grade (mid and lower), it appears tec 31's have caught up and surpassed batman 1's hm

in 2005, a 5.0 tec 31 cost $15K and a 5.0 batman 1 was 25K

in 2009, a 5.0 tec 31 cost $30 K and a 5.0 batman 1 was $40K

in 2011, a 5.0 tec 31 cost $50K and a 5.0 batman 1 was $60K

in 2014

now we have 2.0's (tec 31s) selling for more than same grade bat 1's... seems like a trend that will continue

also, a 6.5 tec 31 has sold for more than 100K, that's about where 7.0 batman 1s are

grade for grade (mid and lower), it appears tec 31's have caught up and surpassed batman 1's hm

in 2005, a 5.0 tec 31 cost $15K and a 5.0 batman 1 was 25K

in 2009, a 5.0 tec 31 cost $30 K and a 5.0 batman 1 was $40K

in 2011, a 5.0 tec 31 cost $50K and a 5.0 batman 1 was $60K

in 2014

now we have 2.0's (tec 31s) selling for more than same grade bat 1's... seems like a trend that will continue

also, a 6.5 tec 31 has sold for more than 100K, that's about where 7.0 batman 1s are

I doubt that trend will hold up. Bat #1 is so clearly the better book. Its one of the few books that transcend the medium. Tec31 not so much (not yet at least; though its obviously a fantastic book)

Folks were asking between $34k 32k - $39k for 1.8 Bat 1s at SDCC. That's why I passed on them
yep...and a tec 31 in 1.8 sold for that price...and a batman 1 in 1.8 could have been had for 32K (2 k cheaper)

so, they are now on even ground, for the most part, when it comes to pricing...

will the trend reverse, maybe, maybe not... is batman 1 a better book...of course it is...it has always been, and I don't think anyone can argue to the contrary...but in the past 12 years, tec 31 has not only closed the gap (it was a large gap) but it has even surpassed in a few examples...

so, unless the slab centric/cover centric hobby does a 180 degree about face and start appreciating "the book" again, I suspect the trend continues that tec 31 will outpace batman 1....strictly for the wrong reasons

I doubt that trend will hold up. Bat #1 is so clearly the better book. Its one of the few books that transcend the medium. Tec31 not so much (not yet at least; though its obviously a fantastic book)

My rule of thumb is:

If a book's value stems from something not firmly entrenched in sensible logic, then it's future value and/or it's future rate of "climbing" in value is more vulnerable to facing the test of time.

Tec #31 is a great book, beyond just the front cover. Some consider it to be Action #7's counterpart, but from a content standpoint, Tec #31 is easily more important. The 1st app. of the batarang, 1st app. of Julie Madison (Wayne's first love interest) and the 1st app. of the Monk (Batman's first super villain) all put it on a different level than books like Action #7, Action #10 and Tec #35 that thrive off the covers, but offer little in terms of important content.

But in comparison to Batman #1, it's not even close.

1st app. of the Joker (first two actually), 1st app. of Catwoman, 2nd app. of Hugo Strange, 3rd app. of Robin, final Pre-Robin Tec story (Batman takes a life) and reprinted Tec #33 origin with Tec #34 splash art all put Batman #1 out of any GA DC book's league sans Action Comics #1.

Rarity also plays a significant role. In instances like AF #15, the desirability easily trumps rarer books with "cooler" covers and the reality is, Batman #1 has yet to receive more universal appreciation for what makes it so special. If you remove all of the content mentioned above, it would still be one of the most valuable books in the hobby by virtue of "No. 1 syndrome." People know it's the 1st. app of the Joker and Catwoman, but to many, those are facts mentioned in passing as "neat" additions to an already cool book.

If you study the history and evolution of the comic book superhero, it's clear that Batman #1 is much more than that. Nolan used the two Joker stories as source material to help flesh out Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight, a film that went on to gross more than $1,000,000,000 worldwide. The content found in those first two Joker stories was revolutionary, or "transcending" as Bill alluded to.

When discussing which of the two books is more valuable now vs. which of the two will be more valuable going forward -- Tec #31 benefits tremendously from the reality of collectors not thinking too much into things, as Rick mentioned in a prior thread a little while back. The further you think and care about the content and significance of the books, the less appealing Tec #31 begins to look in comparison to Batman #1.

You can always fall back on the rarity factor and assume that alone will make the difference, but I disagree. For factors I mentioned at the beginning of this post, Tec #31 is a great book, and it's unsurprising that it continues to be cherished more and more. So I predict that it will continue to rise in value. But because the majority of Batman #1's luster, to many collectors, stems from the "No. 1 syndrome", I have faith that collectors will become more aware and more knowledgable in respects to appreciating the medium's history -- and that, in turn, will lead to much greater demand for Batman #1 in the long run.

it's nuts that a TEC 31 would surpass a Batman #1 simply based on cover appeal. If any of the DC movies in the next 10 years feature the Joker again, I would expect Bat #1 to enjoy another surge like it did with the Ledger movie.

it's nuts that a TEC 31 would surpass a Batman #1 simply based on cover appeal. If any of the DC movies in the next 10 years feature the Joker again, I would expect Bat #1 to enjoy another surge like it did with the Ledger movie.
yet that is exactly what it has done...tec 31 is "the" golden age cover to many dc enthusiasts and supply is very limited...that has created the pricing model...

while batman 1 is a far superior complete package, up until recently, supply was seemingly readily available....so, by comparison to tec 31, there was less upward pricing pressure due to availability versus desirability

yet that is exactly what it has done...tec 31 is "the" golden age cover to many dc enthusiasts and supply is very limited...that has created the pricing model...

while batman 1 is a far superior complete package, up until recently, supply was seemingly readily available....so, by comparison to tec 31, there was less upward pricing pressure due to availability versus desirability

oh I'm not disagreeing, the sales clearly show the truth, I was just saying it's nuts since Bat #1 is a top 5 Overstreet GA book.

the Bob Kane file copy of Batman #1, (brittle, incomplete, extra staples, trimmed) CBCS 0.5 is off to a good start over at CC auction this month.

should be interesting to see where it ends up at. hm

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=566830

Edited by thedude

Amazing how CGC has helped to raise demand and FMV of cover driven books.

Where did Tec #31 rank on the top GA books list in the late 1990's, prior to CGC?

OSPG 29 (1999) - ranked 22nd

OSPG 30 (2000) - ranked 21st

Folks were asking between $34k 32k - $39k for 1.8 Bat 1s at SDCC. That's why I passed on them
yep...and a tec 31 in 1.8 sold for that price...and a batman 1 in 1.8 could have been had for 32K (2 k cheaper)

so, they are now on even ground, for the most part, when it comes to pricing...

will the trend reverse, maybe, maybe not... is batman 1 a better book...of course it is...it has always been, and I don't think anyone can argue to the contrary...but in the past 12 years, tec 31 has not only closed the gap (it was a large gap) but it has even surpassed in a few examples...

so, unless the slab centric/cover centric hobby does a 180 degree about face and start appreciating "the book" again, I suspect the trend continues that tec 31 will outpace batman 1....strictly for the wrong reasons

(thumbs u

Where did Tec #31 rank on the top GA books list in the late 1990's, prior to CGC?

Really shocked where TEC 31 stands in the ranks and the recent price movements.

you think it should be higher or lower?

scarcity vs. scarcity in the marketplace.

you think it should be higher or lower?

The current OSPG listed it as the top 9th. Since it's been selling for more than Marvel Comics 1 and All American 16th in the same grade, it stands at 7th. Time will tell if the trends continues.