• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,815 posts in this topic

I thought this book would top out around $25k, never expected bidders to put this high of a premium on it for the provenance of the book, just crazy.

..........and reserve still not met. :juggle:

43k and counting. Bob Kane file copy or not that's crazy!!!!!

brittle pgs, from bound volume, 2 extra staples added, not manufacturing, trimmed, incomplete: 13th & 14th page missing, affects story

you must really want it lol

$43,184 with reserve not met.
pretty strong price all things considered..
that's what a nice 2.5 might go for.

:whistle:

-J.

Really now hm .. Might be higher now after how much the bids went to for the Kane copy. I was very surprised it got to over $40k. Shoot, I would have been happy to sell it at that price.

I really don't get the Kane premium at all. (shrug) The guy is all but a pariah as far as I'm concerned given what he did to Bill Finger, etc. Give me a 2.5 all day long.

-J.

Really now hm .. Might be higher now after how much the bids went to for the Kane copy. I was very surprised it got to over $40k. Shoot, I would have been happy to sell it at that price.

I don't think this anomalous, non-CGC no-win auction will affect the market one way or the other for standard blue label bats 1's. This auction for this book seemed to be in a bit of a bubble unto itself. The seller may come to regret having such an ambitious reserve on that copy....

-J.

-J.

I don't think this anomalous, non-CGC no-win auction will affect the market one way or the other for standard blue label bats 1's. This auction for this book seemed to be in a bit of a bubble unto itself. The seller may come to regret having such an ambitious reserve on that copy....

-J.

sure the Kane tag has influenced the price. Otherwise, it would probably be garnering around $8k.

I really don't get the Kane premium at all. (shrug) The guy is all but a pariah as far as I'm concerned given what he did to Bill Finger, etc. Give me a 2.5 all day long.

the Kane thing is a sense of history for some -- brittle or not.

Here's the thing about that, to me... one could say that about countless important figures in comics industry history.

Most don't dislike Action 1 because Donenfeld and Liebowicz used it as an impetus to push the Major out. Warren Angel was a pretty suspect character and seems to have been the force behind pushing Cook & Mahon out, but we don't dislike Centaurs. Likewise Victor Fox, Martin Goodman, etc.

[fwiw, I did a write-up talking about that aspect of these books ]

That's not to say disliking Kane as a person is invalid, because it certainly is a valid response to what we know about him. But if you're a collector and enjoy the historical aspect of collecting, you often have to take a warts-and-all approach to what you consider important in the context of the history of the business.

Here's the thing about that, to me... one could say that about countless important figures in comics industry history.

Most don't dislike Action 1 because Donenfeld and Liebowicz used it as an impetus to push the Major out. Warren Angel was a pretty suspect character and seems to have been the force behind pushing Cook & Mahon out, but we don't dislike Centaurs. Likewise Victor Fox, Martin Goodman, etc.

[fwiw, I did a write-up talking about that aspect of these books ]

That's not to say disliking Kane as a person is invalid, because it certainly is a valid response to what we know about him. But if you're a collector and enjoy the historical aspect of collecting, you often have to take a warts-and-all approach to what you consider important in the context of the history of the business.

Yes as the original file copy the book is oozing a Kane aura. All things considered the bottom line is: Kane created the Batman. (shrug)

Am I crazy or was that Bob Kane copy actually trimmed on the left side as well? Hence the extra staples keeping the whole thing together?

-J.

All the Kane copies were trimmed on all sides to fit them into the bound volumes.

That's what I thought I was seeing.

I still don't understand why this isn't mentioned anywhere on that label. :tonofbricks:

-J.

Am I crazy or was that Bob Kane copy actually trimmed on the left side as well? Hence the extra staples keeping the whole thing together?

-J.

All the Kane copies were trimmed on all sides to fit them into the bound volumes.

I still don't understand why this isn't mentioned anywhere on that label. :tonofbricks:

-J.

It appears on the graders notes. But I do understand your concern..

-J.

-J.

I would like it to say the same thing on each label. But the book received a grade of poor. And I've seen many books graded poor by all companies which did not list every defect on the label. Here that largest defect is obvious upon the most brief examination of the book. And was stated in the auction listing.

That the the auction was "non-CGC" shouldn't be taken as any dissing of CGC. Comicconnect said that both CGC and CBCS were prepared to certify the books as Kane copies. If somebody prefers a CGC label, I can't imagine CGC would not slab it in the future, just because it had been slabbed previously by CBCS (which was founded by one of CGC's founders)

As for the other comments: People collect things for historical value as well s cultural value, in addition to its condition. Otherwise my perfect condition copy of Readers Digest from May, 1939 would be worth far more than a beat-up copy of Detective 27, published the same month.

That the "same money could buy a 2.5" is a comment I would not disagree with, but I would do so by adding that it's unique (there will never be another found with this provenance) and that to many its provenance makes it preferable to a 2.5 (or one graded somewhat higher, for that matter).

Along that same point, I am certain that many people outside the inside informed of the hobby would ever think that a 2.5 would actually cost that much, because they would believe that the Overstreet

guide price is accurate when it says the book is worth only about 22K in good.

That information (widely acknowledged here as incorrect) was featured prominently in ComicConnect's auction listing.

I've seen poor condition copies from Stan Lee's collection of Silver age books sells for the going price of a near mint copy. Some would say "but Stan Lee is beloved by billions," while other would say "it shouldn't be worth that because nobody cares."

I've heard the "nobody cares" argument so many times about collectibles when the person using the phrase really means to say "I don't care."

But people collect things for all kinds of reasons. Otherwise everybody would go after the same things.

I saw many books sell in that auction as in every auction for prices that I wouldn't have paid even a small fraction of. But that's how it is. And I don't want to use this public forum to try to push people away from the things I don't want to buy myself.

Edited by bluechip

I understand this is a file copy, but did Bob Kane owned a few Batman 1's. Is it that unique to command that kind of premium?

I think collectors knew that Bob's DNA was on the book. :whee:

I understand this is a file copy, but did Bob Kane owned a few Batman 1's. Is it that unique to command that kind of premium?

He acquired a second hand low grade copy of Batman 1, I heard, in the 1960s.

(I could see someone having an interest in that, but I understand why the hobby doesn't consider second-hand copies to be the same. Otherwise, comic creators could acquire dozens of copies for the purpose of resale), and that would greatly diminish the appeal

Kane acknowledged that everything he'd owned, originally, had been thrown out. Even discussed that on a few TV programs, I am told.

To my knowledge he tried to re-acquire a Detective 27, but never did.