• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

5,985 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2022 at 8:03 PM, pmpknface said:

I think think this my next CGC submission 

20220606_225825.jpg

I’m not much of a slabbing guy. I like to look through and read my books. But, those are ones I’d probably not have any problem slabbing. Contents for the most part, are a little weak for me. I, like most people, buy them for the striking Leonard B Cole covers. Nice group! 

On 6/7/2022 at 1:49 PM, Robot Man said:

I’m not much of a slabbing guy. I like to look through and read my books. But, those are ones I’d probably not have any problem slabbing. Contents for the most part, are a little weak for me. I, like most people, buy them for the striking Leonard B Cole covers. Nice group! 

Yea, the covers are the best part.  As I'm getting older (aren't we all???) I just want to protect my investment a bit at a time.  As the prices of Cole books have gone through the roof I'd just be doing my self a disservice if I didn't.  And I have too many not to take care of.  

On a side note the Target cover was the 2nd Cole book I ever got.  Back then, only about $65 in an auction from the UK.  Classic cover too!  :D 

On 6/7/2022 at 9:44 PM, Jayman said:

One of my favorites too. Bought fairly cheap right here on the boards before people started to notice it. 

Target Comics Vol. 9 # 12.JPG

It's a killer classic book, glad you have a copy!  He did a bunch of cool stuff, but this is a hidden gem.  And also, in my opinion,  something of an in in inspiration to what Kirby did.  Just throwing that out there, but that's why it is a classic cover. 

Opinions welcome:   

On 6/7/2022 at 10:33 PM, pmpknface said:

It's a killer classic book, glad you have a copy!  He did a bunch of cool stuff, but this is a hidden gem.  And also, in my opinion,  something of an in in inspiration to what Kirby did.  Just throwing that out there, but that's why it is a classic cover. 

Opinions welcome:   

I don’t yet own a copy but I like the cover. Would have been so much better if the entire cover was black with artwork filling it like Mask 1 and 2. 

On 6/8/2022 at 9:39 AM, Inaflash said:

I don’t yet own a copy but I like the cover. Would have been so much better if the entire cover was black with artwork filling it like Mask 1 and 2. 

Agreed, I mocked one up like that but can't find it right now...probably posted in this thread somewhere. :pullhair:

On 6/8/2022 at 1:00 PM, drbanner said:

Agreed, I mocked one up like that but can't find it right now...probably posted in this thread somewhere. :pullhair:

I'm sure you did!  And I think some of those Startling Terror Tales books above I got from you.  THANKS!  :foryou:

On 6/11/2022 at 9:00 PM, Qua-Brot said:

Not his usual GGA or Horror, but still a classic composition

img789.jpg

I’ve said it before. If you see any of Leonard’s b/w original line work, he really wasn’t all that great an artist. What set him above most was his graphic design and color technique. He really knew how to suck dimes out of kid’s pockets at the newstand.

Much of his humor covers are every bit as great as his other more serious genres.