• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

5,925 posts in this topic

LB could do any type of cover and make you want to part with your dime. Great covers, TS2Q. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

SpookDet22.jpg

....huh, a rip-off of The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow ??

Weren't we all rooting for Ichabod Crane on his nightly ride and grim encounter with the specter of Sleepy Hollow, the Headless Horseman ??

Surely we all were enthralled with the readings of Washington Irving in the early years of our public education...!!??

Nice book.....love those Cole's....Mr A. Strange your books always look fresh off the rack !!

Absolutely beautiful colors on that book. There's nothing like seeing a good-size scan to allow you to appreciate a book -- I'm sure I've skimmed right past this one in the Gerber Guide

L.B.s daughter attended the Comic Book show at the Holiday Inn in NYC Midtown last weekend and showed me a bunch of her fathers artwork that she recently discovered. I never realized that he did so many Classic Illustrated covers and even the hunting mag covers were beautiful. I can't wait to see more. Maybe I can convice her to show some May 7th at the next convention. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Flying Donut once said something like "Golden Age books are like crack". Maybe it was only ECs. I dunno. In any case, he was right. Oh lord was he right.

I bought the #21 about a week ago and the #20 followed soon after. Now I need another fix. Anybody holding? Anybody! insane.gif

TotJ20.jpg

TotJ21.jpg

Flying Donut once said something like "Golden Age books are like crack". Maybe it was only ECs. I dunno. In any case, he was right. Oh lord was he right.

I bought the #21 about a week ago and the #20 followed soon after. Now I need another fix. Anybody holding? Anybody! insane.gif

TotJ20.jpg

TotJ21.jpg

lol Good to see you are hooked...... devil.gif

The model for the girl on the 21 is LB Cole's daughter.

If you like these by Cole, I suspect you'll find about 100 others by him to be just as entertaining. Don't say you weren't warned. poke2.gif

If you like these by Cole, I suspect you'll find about 100 others by him to be just as entertaining. Don't say you weren't warned. poke2.gif

Interesting. I didn't know that. thumbsup2.gif

I have a list of about 30-40 that I am looking for, they are posted in the marketplace. Care to help out? I know you probably have a ton of killer copies. hail.gif

I have a list of about 30-40 that I am looking for, they are posted in the marketplace. Care to help out? I know you probably have a ton of killer copies. hail.gif

I don't really have a "ton" of anything, just a select few of a number of things. Besides, you're cheap. poke2.gif

Seriously, I think you'll have fun looking for LB Coles. My first exposure to him was through the adverstisement for the Gerber Guide that came out a few months before Vol 1. It was the Blue Bolt Weird Tales page on one side, with the general information about the books on the other side. I was absolutely floored, and it helped get me into collecting esoteric GA.

One recommendation for you is to look for LB Coles at SD so that you get a chance to see them in person, if even if you aren't going to buy them. Some of his stuff looks good in Gerber, but rough in person. The reverse is also true, as some have a lot of interesting detail that you can't appreciate until see the full-size image.

Be careful at shows though... I've seen copies of LB Cole books that were wildly overpriced at shows. You can do much better on eBay as long as you are careful about restoration and condition.

I didn't say "buy at shows", I said "look at shows". I would agree that buying on ebay is cheaper -- but I was pretty sure October knows about that. tongue.gif

I don't really have a "ton" of anything, just a select few of a number of things. Besides, you're cheap. poke2.gif

Seriously, I think you'll have fun looking for LB Coles. My first exposure to him was through the adverstisement for the Gerber Guide that came out a few months before Vol 1. It was the Blue Bolt Weird Tales page on one side, with the general information about the books on the other side. I was absolutely floored, and it helped get me into collecting esoteric GA.

One recommendation for you is to look for LB Coles at SD so that you get a chance to see them in person, if even if you aren't going to buy them. Some of his stuff looks good in Gerber, but rough in person. The reverse is also true, as some have a lot of interesting detail that you can't appreciate until see the full-size image.

27_laughing.gif I am cheap, but not with these. I have to pay guide or I won't own them.

I have already noticed what you mentioned. The Terrors of the Jungles 20 wasn't terribly impressive in the guide, but in-hand it's quite a cover.

Be careful at shows though... I've seen copies of LB Cole books that were wildly overpriced at shows. You can do much better on eBay as long as you are careful about restoration and condition.

I didn't say "buy at shows", I said "look at shows". I would agree that buying on ebay is cheaper -- but I was pretty sure October knows about that. tongue.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif