• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,893 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2023 at 10:23 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

My L.B.’s back from the graders!

BED4EC66-45AD-467F-8599-BF55B515CB46.jpeg

9540D042-E517-40F1-A697-5A313BC9212C.jpeg

Nice! Both look good for the grade. Did you see the L.B. Crime books that ended on Comiclink last night? 

On 1/14/2023 at 9:55 PM, pmpknface said:

And at last we have the final 4.  Love the purple dress in #20.  #21 is my least favorite, but still has this James Dean vibe to it.  #22 is a tougher black cover and #23 is a fan-favorite with the bullseye-blonde.  That's all she wrote folks! 

True_to_Life_Romances_20.jpg

True_to_Life_Romances_21.jpg

True_to_Life_Romances_22.jpg

True_to_Life_Romances_23.jpg

Thanks for showing all those great books, I envy your fortitude on acquiring all those. You should turn a room in your home to an L.B. Cole museum. Serious. 

On 1/16/2023 at 11:01 AM, Microbia said:

Here are some of my TTL highlights. The 23 is a cover proof.

C8E3AAEF-4F77-4091-BB1E-FE65F901B5AE.jpeg

504F63C8-3828-4E6B-922C-197CC35A4354.jpeg

56F35D58-EFAD-424B-B40C-C422EBB65589.jpeg

Hi Mic, What is a cover proof? Whatever it is that one looks Sweeeeet!

On 1/24/2023 at 8:47 PM, Professor K said:

Nice! Both look good for the grade. Did you see the L.B. Crime books that ended on Comiclink last night? 

Thanks for showing all those great books, I envy your fortitude on acquiring all those. You should turn a room in your home to an L.B. Cole museum. Serious. 

Thanks!

Yeah the #44 CGC 4.5 was my undercopy I got rid of. Was hoping for more, but it’s tough in these Focused auctions sometimes. Feel like it’s soo many books stuff gets lost in the fray.

On 1/24/2023 at 11:52 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Thanks!

Yeah the #44 CGC 4.5 was my undercopy I got rid of. Was hoping for more, but it’s tough in these Focused auctions sometimes. Feel like it’s soo many books stuff gets lost in the fray.

Oh cool. Yeah CL auctions have been low lately, which is good as a buyer. I came short on everything I sold there this month. One thing I'll credit them for is having the GA stuff in one section and auctioning in one day. At least I'm pretty sure they do it like that. 

Edited by Professor K

On 1/24/2023 at 9:03 PM, Professor K said:

Oh cool. Yeah CL auctions have been low lately, which is good as a buyer. I came short on everything I sold there this month. One thing I'll credit them for is having the GA stuff in one section and auctioning in one day. At least I'm pretty sure they do it like that. 

Yeah I mean results for me were solid for the most part. Stuff just falls through the cracks sometimes lol. Sorry to hear yours have been low though. I genuinely prefer featured auctions for selling tbh. Assuming they’ll allow the books in them lol.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 1/24/2023 at 11:47 PM, Professor K said:

Man, many of those books ended very low.  I know some aren't the most sought after covers but many of those were deals.  

Thanks man.  If I can find a way to display them all at once that would be awesome.  I'd likely have to take over my daughter's room, but she's only 4 so she can't put up too much of a fight...  ;)  

So, cover proofs.....   What companies do (or did, and what Cole did often and keep them) was they'd have the printing company print off a copy of the cover to an upcoming comic  - just the cover before printing.  So they are on slick, thin, slightly glossy paper and the colors really shine.  It was to get an idea of what the cover would look like before actually going to print.  Sometimes they would make more than 1 per issue and sometimes they'd end up making some of books that never got printed.  There are a few of these you can find on the net or in the Cole Blacklight book.  Cole kept many of these in his files and many of them went up for auction around a decade ago.  Search ComicConnect and you'll find them.  

I actually have a few pre-printed versions of modern comics that served the same purpose but are a bit different.  So companies still do similar things, they just aren't as cool.  :headbang:

On 1/26/2023 at 6:10 AM, pmpknface said:

Here's one.....sho11.1a.jpg

OMG where do you FIND these?  This title is not listed in either Overstreet or the Grand Comics Database, and one that I've never seen.  Congrats!