• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,893 posts in this topic

On 1/1/2023 at 5:34 PM, pmpknface said:

Thought this could be a 4.0, I was close.  Also, now #9 on the census.

16726124424191278650142047399040.jpg

Never heard of this one before but I likes it🙌🏻☝️

On 1/2/2023 at 6:08 PM, FoggyNelson said:

Might just be the photo but that book is incredibly glossy👍‼️

Thanks, it's pretty sharp.  I had it higher, but again maybe if it was pressed it would have been.  

On 1/2/2023 at 6:09 PM, FoggyNelson said:

Never heard of this one before but I likes it🙌🏻☝️

You will find one if you look hard enough.  HA.com has had a few copies, they pop up but are rare.  Stay vigilant!  ;) 

On 1/2/2023 at 5:47 PM, Point Five said:

Great stuff, Jaime!  :applause:  It's funny, there are some copies there that look SO much like mine -- right down to the specific defects on each cover -- that I'm tempted to check that mine are still there. (Maybe I will.) :eek: 

Thanks my friend!  I've got a whole bunch more stacks to scan and others still to get slabbed.  Some I may scan to get opinions on if they are worth grading or not.  Stay tuned for more info.

And well...  I don't know where you are...  I've never been to NY...  I mean...   I'm sure your books are still there, yeah - that's it...  :shy:

On 8/13/2022 at 1:39 PM, pmpknface said:

Is this not the most beautiful 1.0 ever?

16604159576003387280291695583101.jpg

I just saw a copy of this on an auction and wanted it soooo bad... but apparently not badly enough because it just wasn't meant to be as someone else wanted it more. :(

After seeing some of his covers, I'll never look at a bowl of Froot Loops the same again.  Definite nightmares.

I just caught this article on BC:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/highest-graded-cgc-9-8-contact-comics-11-l-b-cole-cover-at-auction/

It had some cool info about Aviation Press and referenced an old article about some general comic book history.  Here is the article for reference:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/85852965/the-idaho-statesman/

Now on to the less-loved but often harder to find, at least in decent shape.  Some of these I've had for 20 years when I was just happy to have any Cole cover so there's a rusty staple or some other defects here and there that I'd now pass on, but I still love these covers.  The #16 is nicer than I recalled. 

Popular_Teen-Agers_16.jpg

Popular_Teen-Agers_17.jpg

Popular_Teen-Agers_18.jpg

I've been slowly picking away at that run, over the last couple of years. Some of the covers I consider to be Cole's romantic best (11 and 15, specifically) but others (6) aren't so great, which has made my pursuit geared more toward "grab decent copies for a good price when they come up" instead of actively seeking them out.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:43 PM, Point Five said:

:applause:

Great stuff Jaime! I've long been a fan of this title, though my set is nowhere close to complete.

#15 with the dramatic snowy cover is the obvious standout, but I love #16 as well. If you find a nice copy (my VGish copy is pictured below, and I've still not found a better one for sale in 20+ years!) the red color is just electric, almost like it was drawn in fluorescent lipstick. #18 is awesome too, and a bit easier to find.

popularteenagers16.jpg.da5f4861881e29b5d08d54c299d4cfa6.jpg

Thanks!  Wow, the reds on your really stand out.  Mine isn't as faded as the scan shows but not THAT red.  It's better on my #20, you can tell a bit.  The maroon on the #17 is very deep, as you can kinda tell from the finger smudge.  

Yea, getting decent copies whenever they pop up is a decent plan.  It's just a matter of keeping your eyes open.  Good luck!

Cole's versatility means something for everyone.  In this title, or actually across all Star romance titles, #5 is one of my top picks.  Great composition, beautiful rendering, and with the humor it perfectly represents the title Popular Teen-agers.  A true GGA classic, on the younger side, which makes it one of the few romance Cole covers that fit that bill.

The great thing about #5, as well, is that the AR copy makes it accessible and affordable for all.