• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any further info on Daredevil Netflix show?
6 6

2,037 posts in this topic

Agreed.

I kept thinking he was going to gasp to life or it was a nightmare.

He's a major character. He had a big role in the Bendis and Brubaker runs as well. Don't know why they'd kill him. doh!

I was actually more upset that they…

...killed off Wesley. He was one of my favorite characters on this show. At times he seemed to be more ruthless and evil than Fisk. I do like how they made Karen kill him though, like we start to see the downward spiraling of her character.

Just finished 6, 7, and 8 tonight.

Kingpin's childhood flashbacks...damn.

We just sat there with our mouths open. Pretty intense.

This show exhausts you by watching it, but you don't know it until the credits roll and you relax.

It's fantastic!

I just finished Episode12

281davo.gif

They killed Ben Urich?!?! :cry::ohnoez:

He's one of my favorite characters! :frustrated:

I had the exact same reaction. I will say, though, that at least they subtly communicated he'd figured out who DD was so that classic portion of his arc was addressed. But in some ways it's a huge missed opportunity to give the audience a stronger voice within the movies/shows.

I was actually more upset that they…

...killed off Wesley. He was one of my favorite characters on this show. At times he seemed to be more ruthless and evil than Fisk. I do like how they made Karen kill him though, like we start to see the downward spiraling of her character.

And as I said earlier, I thought Wesley was going to play the part of Lynch in the comics and be behind the Vanessa murder attempt. The trusted advisor who thinks he is doing what his boss needs would have worked great.

Finished. :cool:

The jury is still out for me on the costume though. hm

I wonder if they will change it for the second season.

I was talking to a friend about it. In the comics (and the Affleck movie) the costume is just a costume, not real body armor. (Except for that red-black-silver costume). This is more "Batman-like" body armor.

Just finished the season and loved it. My only gripe was the costume. I prefer the black. The fight choreography looked restricted and less fluid, which I guess is expexted since it's more of an armor.

Hate the costume. It just looks hokey. The black doo-rag was much, much better. He just looked more menacing in it rather than a cartoonish super-hero. Ugh.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it. Not a perfect show, but by far the best comic tv show I've ever seen.

Making it a crime show and following the basic story-telling of the source material were really good choices. With CW, you get 'villain of the week' with Flash and Arrow, Gotham and AoS are both just a mess, but Daredevil embraced the modern comic book format. This 13 episode first season is a tpb with an over-arching plot with subtle details a good creative team would include. Hopefully we get to see much, much more quality, adult material in this format.

Very good TV, much better than I was expecting.

The cast was well selected, with even the annoying characters selected were annoying. The plot was nicely multi-layered that kept the pace of each episode ticking over nicely.

The fight scenes were great and the mood / atmosphere virtually perfect - much like the Bendis / Maleev run (which I very much enjoyed).

Overall - CANNOT wait for season 2 :taptaptap:

Doesn't seem likely they will have a season 2 of DD. But I hope they do.

I'm not sure what their plans were initially, but given the response, they would be foolish not to have a second season.

And Marvel has not shown a tendency to foolishness.

Question is though, what happens if/when Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and Iron Fist all have similarly high quality production & excellent or even better reception?

I guarantee that they don't ditch their existing playbook for Phase 1. They build to Defenders in 2017 like they already had planned. Then they look at DD Season 2 as a Phase 2 series in say... later 2017 or 2018. They can't really audible & try to stuff a Season 2 in before Defenders, especially if the other series of Phase 1 get equal or greater praise?

They only have the production staff & budget to make so many shows at once. Marvel Television is already essentially producing up-to 3 series at a time. They're only shooting for 2 at the moment (AoS & AKAJJ) but I don't see it likely they expand to the point where they're shooting upwards of 5 or 7 series at a time, especially series that might have crossover characters) anytime soon or releasing multiple Netflix shows at once. Remember, Marvel TV is developing for both Netflix AND ABC. And we know there's going to be an AoS spinoff coming this fall or next spring. Plus AoS continuing, finishing AKAJJ, Luke Cage starting production soon, possibly a season 2 of Agent Carter. And pre-production on Iron Fist. That's a lot of resources already spoken for.

Marvel's plan is a good one. I like it. And I think they stick with it. DD & AKAJJ in 2015, LC & IF in 2016. Defenders in early 2017. And then a phase-2 that probably includes a 2nd season of DD, a Heroes for Hire show to keep all of the other 3 Defenders together, and 2 new series to expand the Marvel Knights brand on TV. As much as I want a DD Season 2 like next week, I also want the rest of the Marvel Knights characters to continue the brand expansion. If that means making me wait an extra year or 2 between seasons, so be it.

Doesn't seem likely they will have a season 2 of DD. But I hope they do.

I'm not sure what their plans were initially, but given the response, they would be foolish not to have a second season.

And Marvel has not shown a tendency to foolishness.

Question is though, what happens if/when Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and Iron Fist all have similarly high quality production & excellent or even better reception?

I guarantee that they don't ditch their existing playbook for Phase 1. They build to Defenders in 2017 like they already had planned. Then they look at DD Season 2 as a Phase 2 series in say... later 2017 or 2018. They can't really audible & try to stuff a Season 2 in before Defenders, especially if the other series of Phase 1 get equal or greater praise?

They only have the production staff & budget to make so many shows at once. Marvel Television is already essentially producing up-to 3 series at a time. They're only shooting for 2 at the moment (AoS & AKAJJ) but I don't see it likely they expand to the point where they're shooting upwards of 5 or 7 series at a time, especially series that might have crossover characters) anytime soon or releasing multiple Netflix shows at once. Remember, Marvel TV is developing for both Netflix AND ABC. And we know there's going to be an AoS spinoff coming this fall or next spring. Plus AoS continuing, finishing AKAJJ, Luke Cage starting production soon, possibly a season 2 of Agent Carter. And pre-production on Iron Fist. That's a lot of resources already spoken for.

Marvel's plan is a good one. I like it. And I think they stick with it. DD & AKAJJ in 2015, LC & IF in 2016. Defenders in early 2017. And then a phase-2 that probably includes a 2nd season of DD, a Heroes for Hire show to keep all of the other 3 Defenders together, and 2 new series to expand the Marvel Knights brand on TV. As much as I want a DD Season 2 like next week, I also want the rest of the Marvel Knights characters to continue the brand expansion. If that means making me wait an extra year or 2 between seasons, so be it.

The Marvel brand at Disney is making money hand over fist. They can afford another season on the fly if needs be. This isnt Spike tv.

I keep hearing how Marvel/Disney can afford loses because of such a big profit machine that it is

It's a publicly traded company, while I do believe they can afford not to make a big profit on some of these projects, I doubt that their stockholders can see the "big picture" and continue to support projects that aren't generating substantial revenue.

That being said I think these Netflix shows will be profitable for them in the long term

While I don't think the other three shows will be as lauded as DD, I like what you've outlined.

Phase 2 with DD, the other three in Defenders, then I'd say Moon Knight & Punisher.

I really think of all the shows Jessica Jones might surprise everyone and be a cross over hit.

Also if the action/fight scenes were great with DD, I can only imagine how much better they will be with Iron Fist

The Marvel brand at Disney is making money hand over fist. They can afford another season on the fly if needs be. This isnt Spike tv.

It's not an issue of money. It's an issue of having the personnel, space, equipment & everything else needed for a full-season tv production. Hiring that many set employees, from the lowest craft services people or grips or riggers to the directors, producers, writers, etc isn't as easy as just writing the check.

Nor is it necessarily in their plan to buy or restructure the distribution of a whole other batch of equipment for a series production that might or might not get used with regularity afterwards. Just trailers, trucks, cameras, lighting equipment, etc. That stuff gets shuffled from 1 show to another by the production companies. Adding another batch of all of those pieces of equipment has to get budgeted for & they have to have a plan to use them again.

Also, Steven DeKnight, Christos & Ruth Gage, all the different directors, etc might all have other projects that they're committed to since they planned on this being a 1-and-done-for-now series without needing to worry about even potentially jumping back into production until sometime in late 2016 or so for Season 2. The writers/directors/producers of shows quite often have that next project scheduled before they are even part way done with the first project. They often plan their schedules & contracts multiple projects ahead.

And then there's the actors schedules. Charlie Cox was probably required to remain available for guest-spots on the other Netflix series even if it's only 1 or 2 days of shooting. But maybe Elden & Deborah & Vincent all had work scheduled for after this? At least Vincent has to significantly bulk up for each season of this show compared to his normal size (which isn't small to begin with, but still)

Plus, there's the issue of permitting for shooting in NYC or applying for the tax credits to shoot there. That stuff takes some time.

They have a plan. Changing that plan just because this series does well when they have similar expectations for 3 other shows not-yet-aired might be jumping the gun. If the other shows falter, maybe they re-examine the plan and jump into early production on a season 2, but it the other series are equally or similarly or even more successful, they're going to stick with their plan.

Daredevil was released only, what, a week now? And it can sit on Netflix pulling in new viewers for a solid year or more. So, yeah, the 'Season 2' yearnings are premature. I get that.

What I don't get, and maybe experts here can clarify, is why put off production for years? If a 'Season 1' absorbs the costs of set designs and writers are assembled, the actors are ready, and all that. Why not keep working?

Especially for ageless 'evergreen' comic book characters. The actors have to physically train, lose or gain weight for some roles, So if nothing else, everyone ages a bit and has to go through hell to get back into character a year or so later?

Anyway, it seems like continuing production would be the least expensive most productive route for comic book series, once all the initial elements are in place and everyone's good to go. Waiting years and trying to recreate everything, not so much.

edit: Looks like Doktor explains it pretty well up above, while I was typing my question.

Edited by Davenport