• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any further info on Daredevil Netflix show?
6 6

2,037 posts in this topic

The costume sucks and the last episode was a bit meh

I disagree 100%

The costume was barely shown so I think saying it sucks is a bit much. We need some better lighting to really see it. I think it looks fine from what I've seen.

And the last episode was fantastic. :headbang:

I'm surprised by anyone who thinks this series wasn't one of the best things Marvel has ever put out.

While I don't think the other three shows will be as lauded as DD, I like what you've outlined.

Phase 2 with DD, the other three in Defenders, then I'd say Moon Knight & Punisher.

I really think of all the shows Jessica Jones might surprise everyone and be a cross over hit.

Also if the action/fight scenes were great with DD, I can only imagine how much better they will be with Iron Fist

This is a really good possibility (bolded). The part of Daredevil that worked (imo) the best was the 'crime show' aspect. Jessica Jones should be an even purer crime show with (hopefully) even more noir aspects.

Marvel's plan is a good one. I like it. And I think they stick with it. DD & AKAJJ in 2015, LC & IF in 2016. Defenders in early 2017. And then a phase-2 that probably includes a 2nd season of DD, a Heroes for Hire show to keep all of the other 3 Defenders together, and 2 new series to expand the Marvel Knights brand on TV. As much as I want a DD Season 2 like next week, I also want the rest of the Marvel Knights characters to continue the brand expansion. If that means making me wait an extra year or 2 between seasons, so be it.
Daredevil was released only, what, a week now? And it can sit on Netflix pulling in new viewers for a solid year or more. So, yeah, the 'Season 2' yearnings are premature. I get that.

What I don't get, and maybe experts here can clarify, is why put off production for years? If a 'Season 1' absorbs the costs of set designs and writers are assembled, the actors are ready, and all that. Why not keep working?

Especially for ageless 'evergreen' comic book characters. The actors have to physically train, lose or gain weight for some rolls, So if nothing else, everyone ages a bit and has to go through hell to get back into character a year or so later?

Anyway, it seems like continuing production would be the least expensive most productive route for comic book series, once all the initial elements are in place and everyone's good to go. Waiting years and trying to recreate everything, not so much.

I think it's more of an issue of changing the plan mid-stream. They had a plan & schedule going into this. They approached everyone from creative to talent to production personnel with a schedule in mind. People have to work between shows & often line up more work 2 or 3 projects ahead. Changing that schedule might not be an option. Maybe they can shoehorn a second season in between LC & IF or between IF & Defenders. But maybe not. And it might not make sense from a story aspect either.

You could also look at it as though they're kinda going with the American Horror Story production model here. Every season is different but might have some hold-over cast. They're essentially producing 2x 13-episode seasons per year with different casts in each of them & using maybe some of the same production & crew.

Edited by Doktor

I’m not crazy about modern TV shows but the missus and I have watched the first two episodes and have been enjoying it a lot. It’s a little violent for my tastes (which have changed a bit as I get older) and I’m not crazy about Deborah Van Woll as Karen Page, but overall it’s a quite solid show. The missus likes the grittiness and I think both of us find it more engaging than Agents of Shield and Agent Carter. I got tired of trying to get into Agents of Shield - it felt like work; Agent Carter was better but didn’t draw me in the way DD did. It's too bad the future seems to be in limbo.

I think it's more of an issue of changing the plan mid-stream. They had a plan & schedule going into this. They approached everyone from creative to talent to production personnel with a schedule in mind. People have to work between shows & often line up more work 2 or 3 projects ahead. Changing that schedule might not be an option. Maybe they can shoehorn a second season in between LC & IF or between IF & Defenders. But maybe not. And it might not make sense from a story aspect either.

You could also look at it as though they're kinda going with the American Horror Story production model here. Every season is different but might have some hold-over cast. They're essentially producing 2x 13-episode seasons per year with different casts in each of them & using maybe some of the same production & crew.

Your last two posts lay out all the variables very well. (thumbs u Thanks for the insight Doktor. :)

Your last two posts lay out all the variables very well. (thumbs u Thanks for the insight Doktor. :)

Word! Hollywood is weird & complicated & when you get into the actual logistics of it, really really boring & it's kinda hard to even see how they get from "oh, it's take #8 of this boring scene that we're shooting entirely out of order & everyone just wants lunch" into "holy that show/movie/series was awesome & hella creative!"

I disagree 100%

The costume was barely shown so I think saying it sucks is a bit much. We need some better lighting to really see it. I think it looks fine from what I've seen.

I'm surprised by anyone who thinks this series wasn't one of the best things Marvel has ever put out.

I still don't know how I feel about the costume. I WANT to like it, but I really don't think I do.

I wasn't expecting the classic all red costume but I actually think the movie costume was better. I know the costume is all about functionality and technical features, but this costume reminds me of the armored costume of the 90's. :sick:

I would think simpler is better and just one color with subtle touches of black.

And the horns are too pointy and the mask is meh . I half expected Kingpin to vemd93.gif when Daredevil showed up in the costume.

I think the club is spot on and liked the metal buckle additions. But overall it seems a little goofy. Feels like a CW show or an 80's super hero movie costume and didn't fit with the rest of the show's "mature" nature.

The show-context for the 'costume' was for 'needed protection' and 'the devil of Hell's Kitchen' alias. So they had to visually sell it as being both.

And we have to be careful here. The simplicity of the classic DD costume might end up looking like an all-red Wonder Woman wetsuit. :eek: Uh, no thanks. :D

hqdefault.jpg

The Affleck movie costume managed to look alright. It was form fitting, flexible enough for his acrobatics, and looked like it provided a decent amount of protection. The only thing I didn't like about it is it looked like the mask was sitting too high on his face. I kept wanting him to reach up and pull it down to adjust it.

I disagree 100%

I still don't know how I feel about the costume. I WANT to like it, but I really don't think I do.

I wasn't expecting the classic all red costume but I actually think the movie costume was better. I know the costume is all about functionality and technical features, but this costume reminds me of the armored costume of the 90's. :sick:

I would think simpler is better and just one color with subtle touches of black.

And the horns are too pointy and the mask is meh . I half expected Kingpin to vemd93.gif when Daredevil showed up in the costume.

I think the club is spot on and liked the metal buckle additions. But overall it seems a little goofy. Feels like a CW show or an 80's super hero movie costume and didn't fit with the rest of the show's "mature" nature.

Exactly what Swick said. I liked the series and its miles beyond AOS. just felt underwhelmed by the finale. Just didn't fit with the previous 12 episodes.

I disagree 100%

Exactly what Swick said. I liked the series and its miles beyond AOS. just felt underwhelmed by the finale. Just didn't fit with the previous 12 episodes.

+1

The suit just looked cheap, and it made all of DD's great acrobatic moves from the first 12 episodes suddenly appear clumsy. I'm just glad they waited until the last episode to unveil it; I think the show's feel and reception would have been very different if he'd been wearing that outfit from the beginning.

The show was all dark and matte through out, the suit is a bit jarring, and I bet they do make changes to it before we see it next. It was to bright, and stood out too much, and the horns arent quite right. Ideally, imo, he should just keep the classic look, but have it all black.

An all black Daredevil suit makes a lot more sense for stealth purposes, and would prevent the strong contrasts that make the suit jarring. IMO they probably even wanted to do it, but I would wager it would be viewed as just "batman without a cape", and didnt want that issue. Especially with bat ear sized horns.

Here's a picture where its mostly in shadow, and it looks a lot better, then the ones were its back lit (like the reveal, etc) They should lose the ear pieces, cover his eyes completely, and take off the leathery sheen.

DaredevilFullCostume.jpg

Edited by CBT

I think most people love Karen (count me in that camp), she is a great mix of brave and naive, and it works really well to the whole overall story. Her fear and anger from earlier on motivate her, and while she does put herself in harms way, it REALLY blends well with the overall story. Everyone keeping secrets, everyone needing others and to share the truth lest their secrets consume them, etc.

She is an excellent actor, and a strong character. I give her two thumbs up.

Here's a picture where its mostly in shadow, and it looks a lot better, then the ones were its back lit (like the reveal, etc) They should lose the ear pieces, cover his eyes completely, and take off the leathery sheen.

DaredevilFullCostume.jpg

I don't mind the leathery sheen if the entire costume is that way. I don't mind if the costume is a matte, Kevlar sort of look. Just keep it one way or another.

The really pointy horns are dumb. They should make them rounded nubs sort of horn implants. It's not TERRIBLE. It's just not really good either.

You have to wonder if the producers sort of questioned the look as well which is why they had Potter explain the different parts of the costume to Matt (and the viewer).

if you want to nit pick something, concentrate on Karen (who looks like Olive O from the Robin Williams Popeye Movie). The costume works fine

Really? I thought Karen was great. Decent acting and just... :luhv:

I had a harder time embracing Vincent D'onofrio's Kingpin with his gravely "I'm Christian Bale as Batman" voice.

if you want to nit pick something, concentrate on Karen (who looks like Olive O from the Robin Williams Popeye Movie). The costume works fine

Really? I thought Karen was great. Decent acting and just... :luhv:

I had a harder time embracing Vincent D'onofrio's Kingpin with his gravely "I'm Christian Bale as Batman" voice.

Like I mentioned to a few people, I am more afraid of Kingpin now then I was afraid of Darth Vader at 5.

Jim