• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any further info on Daredevil Netflix show?
6 6

2,037 posts in this topic

Now speaking of actors, is there anyone else that finds Foggy annoying? I really have a hard time swallowing his overacting.

It's funny, you've said this several times. I was more skeptical about the casting choice for Foggy than anyone else before watching the show. After watching it, I really loved the casting choice and like his comedic shtick. That's how Foggy IS in the books. (shrug)

I still think he needs a serious haircut, but I enjoyed the actor's performance.

Yeah, he annoys the carp out of me, but it's not his character, it's his acting.

I have zero acting experience and I'm probably lacking any decent ability to critique actor's performances. I just gauge a performance on "do I see the actor or do I see Foggy Nelson brought to life."

I think the guy does a top notch job bringing Foggy to life and I enjoy it. :)

hm

That could be....either way they need a reporter to be part of the story...

That would be dumb if they resurrected him. I just really liked the actor. He anchored the Foggy/Karen/Urich search for answers scenes he was in. I don't think he was too old at all to play a beat reporter in the mcu. As one of the best actors in the ensemble, he'll be missed.

I think he was great, I loved him too. But as you say, its dumb to undo emotional events. He definitely wasnt the right type of actor to cross-over into the movies though. Marvel wants young actors who can give 10+ years to the story (or more)

Samuel L Jackson is no spring chicken. Nor are other characters such as the lead scientist from Thor. He would have been fine in the movies. Or just as sort of a media liaison for street-level Netflix shows. This is all moot, though, since he's gone.

Marvel was universe building when they did those things, and its pretty widely reported how they have "learned" from the problems it brings. All their more recent contracts include mandatory TV cameo options (to keep costs down), and the higher total number of films, as well as younger ages are pretty well standard now also.

I am not saying he couldnt have done the movies, but I would find it unlikely. When I watch either the TV or the Netflix stuff, its pretty clear (in my mind anyway), when an actor is one able to be brought into the movies or not.

Mockingbird, yes, Melinda May, no. Daredevil, Yes, that Urich, no. If you were going to cast an older man for a supporting role that crossed over, that's when you would get a more known person (like Sam Jackson mentioned earlier).

Somehow I get the feeling you'd enjoy anything DD even if it was Doo Doo. lol

This coming from me, who enjoyed the Affleck version. :blush:

I have zero acting experience and I'm probably lacking any decent ability to critique actor's performances. I just gauge a performance on "do I see the actor or do I see Foggy Nelson brought to life."

+1

His hair annoyed me in the trailers, but after watching the show (especially the college flash back), I got over that little bit. As far as acting, I think he did quite well.

There are a few times in the show, not many, where it felt like actors acting. But part of that is it being a first season. There are lots of very successful shows, where you go back and watch them from the beginning and think...... wow, they hadnt found the character yet. You dont realize it at the time, but after many years of seeing them play a character, its noticeable when you go back.

I always try to cut TV show first seasons a little bit of slack in that regard.

I saw it three times in the theater. :shy:

One thing to keep in mind about anyone dead: We don't know what happens with Infinity War yet. For all we know, the 1st half of that movie literally ends with Thanos destroying 1/2 the universe like in Infinity Gauntlet & resurrecting it at the beginning of Part 2 but things are a little different. Some dead people come back, some don't, some come back wrong, etc. Marvel already has their resurrection card up their sleeve & can use it whenever necessary & can retcon resurrections into that down the line if needed.

It's not as bad as people say, its like X-Men 3 I think, a lot of people see others bashing it, and feel the need to agree/join in, lest they be not "with it".

I quite enjoyed the original Daredevil when it was new, but it is dated. Bullseye was terrible imo, but other than him and the poor CGI, the rest is decent enough.

My biggest pet peeve in that movie, other than bullseye, is how when they climb the church organ its like maybe 20 feet high, than when he falls off it and catches himself with the billy club, its like 80 feet up and he falls for so long lol .

There are lots of very successful shows, where you go back and watch them from the beginning and think...... wow, they hadnt found the character yet. You dont realize it at the time, but after many years of seeing them play a character, its noticeable when you go back.

That is an excellent point. (thumbs u

To my defense of enjoying anything Daredevil related, I hated John Favreau as Foggy, Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin and Jennifer Garner as Elektra.

Overall, I enjoyed the Daredevil movie though.

Keep in mind that it was twelve years ago!! There really wasn't anything Daredevil in media at that point other than guest appearances in cartoons.

The movie isn't as awful as people want to say it is and which seems to be the popular opinion. It doesn't hold a candle to the Netflix series or most things released these days. But it came out when comic movies still weren't as popular as they are now. In 2003, if someone were to say a Guardians of the Galaxy movie would be released, people would have :roflmao:

The special effects in the Daredevil movie were awesome. :cool:

One thing to keep in mind about anyone dead: We don't know what happens with Infinity War yet. For all we know, the 1st half of that movie literally ends with Thanos destroying 1/2 the universe like in Infinity Gauntlet & resurrecting it at the beginning of Part 2 but things are a little different. Some dead people come back, some don't, some come back wrong, etc. Marvel already has their resurrection card up their sleeve & can use it whenever necessary & can retcon resurrections into that down the line if needed.

Cap and Thor are both definitely going to die imo, and its also a way for Marvel to JAmes Bond the actors if needed. But, all of the Netflix shows and the Defenders and the entire Civil War storyline, will all be done by then.

If they are going to do something, it would have to be before all that. Hand or Nephew would be the best bets, and hopefully its Nephew, cause Coulson covered the resurrection card, so i see it as already played out.

I saw it three times in the theater. :shy:

lol

There are lots of very successful shows, where you go back and watch them from the beginning and think...... wow, they hadnt found the character yet. You dont realize it at the time, but after many years of seeing them play a character, its noticeable when you go back.

That is an excellent point. (thumbs u

Cheers :)

It's not as bad as people say, its like X-Men 3 I think, a lot of people see others bashing it, and feel the need to agree/join in, lest they be not "with it".

That's a part of it.

And it's definitely dated.

But so is Batman (1989) and it's still an awesome time piece to watch.

+1

His hair annoyed me in the trailers, but after watching the show (especially the college flash back), I got over that little bit. As far as acting, I think he did quite well.

There are a few times in the show, not many, where it felt like actors acting. But part of that is it being a first season. There are lots of very successful shows, where you go back and watch them from the beginning and think...... wow, they hadnt found the character yet. You dont realize it at the time, but after many years of seeing them play a character, its noticeable when you go back.

I didn't like Foggy or Karen at first. All of the 'Foggy and Karen getting drunk on the town' scenes were bad, but as the series progressed, they both grew on me. Foggy is especially necessary because he injects a bit of levity into a dark, dark show. They needed someone for that without cheesing it up too badly. Overall, I liked them both.

As I said before, my favorite Karen-centric scenes were those with Urich, so we'll see how she does in season 2. Man, what a great time to be a comics fan.

+1

I didn't like Foggy or Karen at first. All of the 'Foggy and Karen getting drunk on the town' scenes were bad, but as the series progressed, they both grew on me. Foggy is especially necessary because he injects a bit of levity into a dark, dark show. They needed someone for that without cheesing it up too badly. Overall, I liked them both.

As I said before, my favorite Karen-centric scenes were those with Urich, so we'll see how she does in season 2. Man, what a great time to be a comics fan.

Yeah, I found the drunk scenes to be horrific. :facepalm:

I just stopped at the college scene last night so I'm not as far as most of you either and maybe that's why I don't feel the same way.

Sounds like most of you have watched the entire run.

I just stopped at the college scene last night so I'm not as far as most of you either and maybe that's why I don't feel the same way.

watched it quick cause I am fussy about spoilers :)

watched it quick cause I am fussy about spoilers :)

Foggy kills it in episode 10. I'd say if you don't like him after 10, you probably won't like him at all.

OK, Ive been watching the 1st 9 episodes. They were all terrible, I kept on watching because I love Daredevil and was just waiting and waiting for the show to get better. It didnt.

The writing is HORRIBLE. The lack of character development is just outstanding. It seems as if the writer was struggling with prioritizing which characters should have more focus.. Claire appeared in a few episodes, all of a sudden shes in love with DD, and then she disappeared for the rest of the show. Poof, gone. We learn later that she showed up to stitch DD when he was injured in a battle with Nabu.. Not even a cameo of her.. But instead we are treated for hours of relationship developments with Foggy and Karen.. Who gives a ???? Their supporting characters here dude!!

The show tries to be dramatic and gory at the same time, I couldnt help but think that the writer/director wanted to cater to a WD crowd with DD, but it just didnt work. Not with characters that has so much potential and depth like DD and Kingpin.

Also, where are the superheroes? Where is the action?? in 9 episodes that Ive watched there were very few battle scenes, and all of them were with just mobsters, with the exception of Nabu. I get the impression that this is a very low budget series, almost like a British soap opera from the 80s.

I wont be watching the rest, even if the last 4 episodes change dramatically, if the writer/director couldnt pull it off in the first 9, thats just a waste of time in my book