• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any further info on Daredevil Netflix show?
6 6

2,037 posts in this topic

He's dead. :(

It was Elektra that "killed" Urich in #179. "Lousy Cigarettes"

daredevil-urich-101774.jpg

I wondered why they didn't make Urich a chain smoker in the series. It seemed to be a part of his character and he discusses it several times in the books - particularly in the Miller issues with "Lousy Cigarettes". doh!

But Urich dies in the series and it would be silly to bring him back.

Thanks. (thumbs u

I knew it was a Sai that killed him in #179 and remember that last page but forgot the circumstances. It's been a while since I read the storyline.

No Ben Urich :sorry:

I haven't gotten that far yet but I'm not worried about spoilers...

is it possible for him to return?

For anyone who didn't read the Miller run, in DD #179 (I think that was it) he was 'killed' by Bullseye ("damn cigarettes") but then they managed to save him.

Another angle is that The Hand has brought people back to life.

I just don't see them doing this series without Urich at this point.

(you see him buried in a coffin, so definitely dead)

The hand is possible, but feels like a cop out. They dont want to un-kill everyone who dies, especially in the darker Netflix stuff. Given Urich's central role in Spider-man and Civil War type stuff, I could see them rather doing something like:

Having another young black reporter take up his cause, start an independent paper, use him as a mentor/inspiration etc.

Work in some relative, maybe a Nephew, who has the same name. Sort of like Nick Fury jr. taking over in the Comic world. The could have Ben Urich's Nephew, also "Ben Urich" be a young journalist, or student trying to become one, and cast him at a more appropriate age for longevity in the MCU. That actor was too old imo, to be part of Marvel's long term plans.

Edited by CBT

I guess it's all going to depend on how valuable he is in the future.

I'm certainly VERY surprised they did what they did but I have faith in them. We'll see.

hm

That could be....either way they need a reporter to be part of the story...

That would be dumb if they resurrected him. I just really liked the actor. He anchored the Foggy/Karen/Urich search for answers scenes he was in. I don't think he was too old at all to play a beat reporter in the mcu. As one of the best actors in the ensemble, he'll be missed.

perfect :)lol

didnt know he already existed, AND his middle name is Ben.

Have him be a classmate of Peter's, or a fresh out of college journalist when peter intern's at the bugle. Given the way I hear contracts are going now with Marvel. Seeing Spider-man even show up in the Netflix shows, is highly possible. :D

Definitely lots of room to cross over there. I'd love to see his character debuted in Civil War, doing the Civil War Front Line paper :D:whee:

hm

That would be dumb if they resurrected him. I just really liked the actor. He anchored the Foggy/Karen/Urich search for answers scenes he was in. I don't think he was too old at all to play a beat reporter in the mcu. As one of the best actors in the ensemble, he'll be missed.

I think he was great, I loved him too. But as you say, its dumb to undo emotional events. He definitely wasnt the right type of actor to cross-over into the movies though. Marvel wants young actors who can give 10+ years to the story (or more)

hm

He looked to me like he was going to be a mainstay in the show.

Now speaking of actors, is there anyone else that finds Foggy annoying? I really have a hard time swallowing his overacting.

Another very small beef I had with the last episode I watched is when Fisk said "Let 'im burn." It seemed out of character because he's so careful to choose and enunciate his words (he acts so staunch) that when he slips up like this I'm not sure I'm buying it.

I picture the Kingpin in this series as some lower class kid who grew up into upper class and learned how to act upper class including how to talk upper class. Am I wrong?

hm

I think he was great, I loved him too. But as you say, its dumb to undo emotional events. He definitely wasnt the right type of actor to cross-over into the movies though. Marvel wants young actors who can give 10+ years to the story (or more)

Samuel L Jackson is no spring chicken. Nor are other characters such as the lead scientist from Thor. He would have been fine in the movies. Or just as sort of a media liaison for street-level Netflix shows. This is all moot, though, since he's gone.

He would have been fine in the movies.

I had serious doubts about his character when they first introduced him but he played the part so effectively that I bought into it very quickly and he became a favorite.

In fact I've bought into his character faster and deeper than I have been able to with Foggy and Fisk. I'm still having trouble with those two, and I'm at episode 9 (or is it 10?)

I had serious doubts about his character when they first introduced him but he played the part so effectively that I bought into it very quickly and he became a favorite.

In fact I've bought into his character faster and deeper than I have been able to with Foggy and Fisk. I'm still having trouble with those two, and I'm at episode 9 (or is it 10?)

I just think to say he's too old is silly. The actor certainly doesn't seem like he's on death's door.

(I do think George RR Martin has a good chance of dying before he finishes writing GoT, but that's another issue entirely)

I just think to say he's too old is silly.

Age really is irrelevant for most actors. Makeup, CGI, etc does wonders.

Ian McKellan has been doing LOTR films forever and he was old when he started.

Now speaking of actors, is there anyone else that finds Foggy annoying? I really have a hard time swallowing his overacting.

It's funny, you've said this several times. I was more skeptical about the casting choice for Foggy than anyone else before watching the show. After watching it, I really loved the casting choice and like his comedic shtick. That's how Foggy IS in the books. (shrug)

I still think he needs a serious haircut, but I enjoyed the actor's performance.

hm

you should spoiler tag your last two posts ;)

Done (thumbs u

I just think to say he's too old is silly. The actor certainly doesn't seem like he's on death's door.

(I do think George RR Martin has a good chance of dying before he finishes writing GoT, but that's another issue entirely)

I agree. Ben Urich can NOT be played by a young actor. He's a seasoned veteran reporter from a different era that refuses to embrace change.

He seeks out the truth and laments a time gone by of news reporting and not just flash, gimmick and celebrity gossip.

None of that would work if he was a hipster kid. meh

It's funny, you've said this several times. I was more skeptical about the casting choice for Foggy than anyone else before watching the show. After watching it, I really loved the casting choice and like his comedic shtick. That's how Foggy IS in the books. (shrug)

I still think he needs a serious haircut, but I enjoyed the actor's performance.

Yeah, he annoys the carp out of me, but it's not his character, it's his acting.