• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

I think it's interesting that so much of this is perception colored by expectations.

For instance, MI:5 is getting rave reviews & yet the studio is only "expecting" it to do $40 million this weekend, which it will almost certainly surpass by a wide margin.

Meanwhile, Ant-Man was seen, at best, as a sobering reality check for Marvel Studios after it fell short of its $60-$65 million expectation.

I think Paramount's playing it very safe by calling for MI:5 to have such a modest opening for what could be a decent action blockbuster. But calling for it to do fully 30% less than Ant-Man strikes me as odd.

For instance, MI:5 is getting rave reviews & yet the studio is only "expecting" it to do $40 million this weekend, which it will almost certainly surpass by a wide margin.

Meanwhile, Ant-Man was seen, at best, as a sobering reality check for Marvel Studios after it fell short of its $60-$65 million expectation.

I think Paramount's playing it very safe by calling for MI:5 to have such a modest opening for what could be a decent action blockbuster. But calling for it to do fully 30% less than Ant-Man strikes me as odd.

The previous installments didn't do significantly better than $40 million, so it's a safe conservative call, the type you've got to make with so much money on the line. Part 1 made $45 million, 2 made $58 million, 3 made $48 million, and 4 made $13 million. Part 4 had a very limited release and probably would have made 55 to 60 million if released widely.

Here's the Box Office Mojo list of Impossible Mission films that shows opening weekend performance:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=mission%20impossible

Antman is most likely going to reach it's budget domestically by this Sunday.

Antman = success

I don't know how far it will go after that, but it seems to have legs. Plus the Foreign market.

I find it amazing that Marvel was able to take one of their least known properties and achieve this.

This achievement is a Tale to Astonish

It's too early to tell if this movie has legs or not. A movie that has legs is measurable; it is a movie capable of making more than 3x it's opening weekend during its run. Right now, Ant-Man is passing 2x its opening weekend. If it can make another $50+ million, we can say it had legs. GOTG clearly had legs. It has yet to be seen if Ant-Man does.

It's biggest obstacle right now are the movies yet to be released: Mission Impossible, Fantastic Four, and Man from Uncle. It's going to have to compete with some heavy hitters the next 3 weeks. Pixels proved to be a bust, so it had 2 weeks without any competition.

Ant-Man will be over the 130 million dollar budget domestically this weekend bringing in my guess around 12 million for the weekend. The following weekend around 6 million in which that will be the films last major weekend inside the big theaters. My guess domestically this film will do somewhere between 150 to 160 million domestically on its current trend.

Films on average spend about 4 weeks in first run theaters before being kicked to the cheapie theaters.

The thing people should be looking at though when it is all said and done Ant-Man is going to bring in the least amount of money domestically since the Incredible Hulk in 2008. Something that should be paid close attention to because this film is going to be the start of a trend that we saw comic book films bringing in less and less money as we are in lets throw everything at us in theaters and tv that they can. I think the average public is starting to grow tired of these films.

Bosco is correct though the film needs to do around 2.5 to 3 times the amount of the budget to be considered a successful film.

Is the film a success right now story wise the film was fun and felt like a cross between Mission Impossible and Honey I Shrunk the Kids. The comedy was there for me which was the subtle British humor in the film. I gave the film a solid 8 out of 10 which is more than I have been giving most of Marvel films lately. Where the film loses me is lack of exciting villain and rewatchability factor the film is essentially a popcorn flick see it once its a good see it a second time loses its luster.

I will say this I left the theater in all honesty telling myself two things I wish Disney just remade Honey I Shrunk the Kids instead and I can't wait for the new Mission Impossible.

You're comparing ant man to the Incredible Hulk. A very well known character to a character even most comic fans don't know.

Nope saying this is going to be the lowest grossing Marvel Cinematic Universe Film since the Incredible Hulk in 2008. Saying this is a sign that the average U.S. public is starting grow tired of these films and the numbers are starting to show it now a lower domestic total for Avengers 2 than the previous film.

The average public never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy either, but that did well because it was a fresh concept compared to the other superhero films.

Antman = success

I don't know how far it will go after that, but it seems to have legs. Plus the Foreign market.

I find it amazing that Marvel was able to take one of their least known properties and achieve this.

It's too early to tell if this movie has legs or not. A movie that has legs is measurable; it is a movie capable of making more than 3x it's opening weekend during its run. Right now, Ant-Man is passing 2x its opening weekend. If it can make another $50+ million, we can say it had legs. GOTG clearly had legs. It has yet to be seen if Ant-Man does.

It's biggest obstacle right now are the movies yet to be released: Mission Impossible, Fantastic Four, and Man from Uncle. It's going to have to compete with some heavy hitters the next 3 weeks. Pixels proved to be a bust, so it had 2 weeks without any competition.

Ant-Man will be over the 130 million dollar budget domestically this weekend bringing in my guess around 12 million for the weekend. The following weekend around 6 million in which that will be the films last major weekend inside the big theaters. My guess domestically this film will do somewhere between 150 to 160 million domestically on its current trend.

Films on average spend about 4 weeks in first run theaters before being kicked to the cheapie theaters.

The thing people should be looking at though when it is all said and done Ant-Man is going to bring in the least amount of money domestically since the Incredible Hulk in 2008. Something that should be paid close attention to because this film is going to be the start of a trend that we saw comic book films bringing in less and less money as we are in lets throw everything at us in theaters and tv that they can. I think the average public is starting to grow tired of these films.

Bosco is correct though the film needs to do around 2.5 to 3 times the amount of the budget to be considered a successful film.

Is the film a success right now story wise the film was fun and felt like a cross between Mission Impossible and Honey I Shrunk the Kids. The comedy was there for me which was the subtle British humor in the film. I gave the film a solid 8 out of 10 which is more than I have been giving most of Marvel films lately. Where the film loses me is lack of exciting villain and rewatchability factor the film is essentially a popcorn flick see it once its a good see it a second time loses its luster.

I will say this I left the theater in all honesty telling myself two things I wish Disney just remade Honey I Shrunk the Kids instead and I can't wait for the new Mission Impossible.

You're comparing ant man to the Incredible Hulk. A very well known character to a character even most comic fans don't know.

Nope saying this is going to be the lowest grossing Marvel Cinematic Universe Film since the Incredible Hulk in 2008. Saying this is a sign that the average U.S. public is starting grow tired of these films and the numbers are starting to show it now a lower domestic total for Avengers 2 than the previous film.

The average public never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy either, but that did well because it was a fresh concept compared to the other superhero films.

It still has to open in about 75% of it's foreign markets... it's almost guaranteed to break $200MIL, just from THAT... which would put it at just ahead of Thor: Dark World and behind Winter Soldier with a budget that was $40MIL less. That's a success.

Antman = success

It still has to open in about 75% of it's foreign markets... it's almost guaranteed to break $200MIL, just from THAT... which would put it at just ahead of Thor: Dark World and behind Winter Soldier with a budget that was $40MIL less. That's a success.

Your missing the point I am only focused on domestic which counts the most. This film is a box office bust speaking domestically and will in the end only bring in only 150 to 160 million domestically.

Antman = success

Your missing the point I am only focused on domestic which counts the most. This film is a box office bust speaking domestically and will in the end only bring in only 150 to 160 million domestically.

That's 20-30MIL over budget, just from domestic... that's not a bust.

By that standard, X-Men Days of Future Past would be a bust as well as Captain America: First Avenger, Thor, Thor: Dark World, X-Men First Class, (Actually any and all of the X-Men/Wolverine movies other than the first two), Amazing Spider-man, Amazing Spider-man 2, Kick-, Kick- 2....

If you're trying to say, this is no Iron man or GOTG, well, yeah... it's not... the budget told us that even before the movie was released though. Very few movies are.

Every show I see calls the movie a summer hit. Again as other pointed out its not the Avengers or Iron Man but its also not Green Lantern. Its another hit for Marvel and a great movie to boot. 95% of movies released wish it did the numbers Antman did.

I finally saw Ant-Man last night.

For the most part, I really enjoyed it. A lot of people in the theater seemed to have enjoyed it too. I *think* Ant-Man (along with Wasp), will be more of a "slow burn" - As positive word of mouth gets around and with appearances in other Marvel flicks that an Ant-Man II would do even better. This little movie has a lot going for it.

The previous installments didn't do significantly better than $40 million, so it's a safe conservative call, the type you've got to make with so much money on the line. Part 1 made $45 million, 2 made $58 million, 3 made $48 million, and 4 made $13 million. Part 4 had a very limited release and probably would have made 55 to 60 million if released widely.

Here's the Box Office Mojo list of Impossible Mission films that shows opening weekend performance:

Looks like MI: 5 did $20 million on Friday alone (counting $4 million from Thursday night). That + the rave reviews = it's gonna' do a lot better than $40 million this weekend.

Looks like MI: 5 did $20 million on Friday alone (counting $4 million from Thursday night). That + the rave reviews = it's gonna' do a lot better than $40 million this weekend.

And you have to be careful when comparing to previous years. Inflation has impacted the value of the dollar.

Mission: Impossible (1996): $45,436,830 opening (2015: $69,107,420)

Mission: Impossible II (2000): $57,845,297 opening (2015: $80,163,101)

Mission: Impossible III (2006): $47,743,273 opening (2015: $56,514,679)

Mission: Impossible IV (2011): $12,785,204 opening (2015: $13,563,835)

It gets confusing when someone compares a movie today to a movie in history, and assuming same dollar value.

I have a feeling MI5 is going to do just as well as the past.

Absolutely! My point was rather that (as I predicted), MI:5 is going to far outstrip the $40 million opening expectations.

And by that rubric, a reminder that Ant-Man's doing far worse than The Incredible Hulk.

Both movies are now tied at $109 domestic after 15 days (in equivalent 2008 dollars), but Hulk didn't have the 3-D ticket price bump. So many fewer folks have gone to see it.

If anything, you can't compare the international grosses of those two films (or frankly, any 2015 films to ones produced prior to 2010) because the number of international screens has increased a ton as new territories (particularly in Asia) have opened up to the US market.

Absolutely! My point was rather that (as I predicted), MI:5 is going to far outstrip the $40 million opening expectations.

And by that rubric, a reminder that Ant-Man's doing far worse than The Incredible Hulk.

Both movies are now tied at $109 domestic after 15 days (in equivalent 2008 dollars), but Hulk didn't have the 3-D ticket price bump. So many fewer folks have gone to see it.

If anything, you can't compare the international grosses of those two films (or frankly, any 2015 films to ones produced prior to 2010) because the number of international screens has increased a ton as new territories (particularly in Asia) have opened up to the US market.

ant-man down 50% this weekend. will end up doing a pretty typical 2.7x it's opening weekend in the US. it's no GOTG for legs but it's not Incredible Hulk bad either.

Every show I see calls the movie a summer hit. Again as other pointed out its not the Avengers or Iron Man but its also not Green Lantern. Its another hit for Marvel and a great movie to boot. 95% of movies released wish it did the numbers Antman did.

Its not a hit on the MCU scale its in last place and do the worst since 2008 of any MCU film

ant-man down 50% this weekend. will end up doing a pretty typical 2.7x it's opening weekend in the US. it's no GOTG for legs but it's not Incredible Hulk bad either.

According to boxofficemojo.com the film is as nearly as bad because it will be second to last place in domestic money brought in and shows its a sign of bad things to come for MCU films domestically

But so far it _is_ Incredible Hulk bad in terms of numbers.

The films are precisely tied for inflation-adjusted domestic grosses after 15 days of release.

Hulk had a harsher drop its second weekend but it also started higher, opening to $70 million in 2015 dollars vs. Ant-Man's $57 million.

According to boxofficemojo.com the film is as nearly as bad because it will be second to last place in domestic money brought in and shows its a sign of bad things to come for MCU films domestically

chickenlittle_zpshfeyy9hk.jpg