• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

Saw it last night, halfway through I didn't think it was going to be good, but it wrapped up much better in the second half.

Really liked the quantum level. On the whole, the action, story and humor were pretty good - not great but good. I give it 3/5 stars.

One question - where did the ants that lowered themselves down the drain pipe to rescue Scott in the waterpipe come from? Why wasn't Scott with them instead, that way he wouldn't have to be rescued from the waterpipe in the first place? hm

It seems to be petering out, but if it can hit $400M worldwide it should be considered a very nice win for Marvel studios.

If by "petering out" you mean it's going through the natural weekly movie attendance progression, then I guess you're right,

I actually think it's doing a little better than the norm. I also suspect that it's doing better than even Marvel thought it would do.

And by the way.... no problem hitting 400M world wide.

It seems to be petering out, but if it can hit $400M worldwide it should be considered a very nice win for Marvel studios.

If by "petering out" you mean it's going through the natural weekly movie attendance progression, then I guess you're right,

I actually think it's doing a little better than the norm. I also suspect that it's doing better than even Marvel thought it would do.

Well, it does have tough competition this weekend with FF opening..... lol

By petering out I meant following the natural fall off for movies. According to Box Office Mojo right now it is sitting at just under $327M worldwide. Considering its current box office decline, with another $73M+ to go to hit worldwide it is going to have to work hard to hit that IMHO. That being said, with Ant-Man being a 3rd tier character I think it has been a successful venture for Marvel.

It will be interesting to see how Dr. Strange, Black Panther, and the other 3rd tier properties do on the big screen in the future. I can't see the studios turning their back on expanding the number of comic related movies due to 1) the merchandising opportunities built in with them and 2) the fact that they spend big $$$ on other sci-fi or big budget action films that do not even cover production costs. As long as the comic movies can turn a profit at the box office they will continue to be produced.

Edited by kimik

Regardless of the final box office tally there's no question this is a serious win for Marvel - the movie was very well received from both viewers and critics and they are on their way to turning another 3rd tier character into a big name and all the ancillary revenue that comes with it. While I'm sure they had a number in mind to deem this movie an immediate success their main goal in making these films at this point seems to be as a platform to expand their product long term which they're obviously doing a great job of.

It's change from the previous week, since it's expected one week drop from opening night has been under 50% every single day - until this weekend when it's estimated that it's under a 40% drop - if it continues to show like this, it'll play a long time in theaters.....

Ant-Man is still experiencing normal box office drop-off compared to previous Marvel Studios productions. There have been some movies that dropped quicker, and movies that dropped less. But so far, Ant-Man is within a normal range.

2vo0LXs.png

And it now is profitable with a 2.51X Revenue Ratio

ertFk0D.png

KiG1C8H.png

DfJuvIA.png

And it still has Japan and China to open up.

Italy (12 August 2015)

South Korea (20 August 2015)

Austria (27 August 2015)

Greece (17 September 2015)

China (18 September 2015)

Japan (19 September 2015)

I finally saw it last night, and I enjoyed it very much. :banana: Another solid film for the Marvel juggernaut. (thumbs u

If you'd told me 20 years ago a movie would even be in theaters based on Ant-Man, never mind one that was well-made and starred some heavyweight actors (Michael Douglas, for crying out loud (worship) ), I would have called for the guys in the white coats for you. We are truly in a golden age of comic books in media (except for the FF, clearly. :tonofbricks: ).

One question - where did the ants that lowered themselves down the drain pipe to rescue Scott in the main waterpipe come from? Why wasn't Scott with them instead, that way he wouldn't have to be rescued from the main waterpipe in the first place? hm

Anyone???

One question - where did the ants that lowered themselves down the drain pipe to rescue Scott in the main waterpipe come from? Why wasn't Scott with them instead, that way he wouldn't have to be rescued from the main waterpipe in the first place? hm

Anyone???

I'm betting that they were just staged there. At some point, he was going to have to get from not-in-the-waterpipe and into the waterpipe. And it required ants (that otherwise could have been just in the ground & in the area that he brain-radio'd to help him get from not-in-the-waterpipe to in-the-waterpipe) to be there in order to get him actually into it.

Certainly, they could have been in the ground and accessed the pipe via a small crack (pipes crack and get exposed to dirt) or just living in the pipe (ants live in weird places), but if you're talking about why he chose the waterpipe route he took, it's probably because he would have then had to find that crack by running around like a video game character that doesn't have a map of his current level yet to try to be like "I know that stupid pipe is around here somewhere. I just gotta find the crack". And his "go down this pipe here and then climb up this other pipe" plan was slightly simpler (and more visually appealing on the screen) than stumbling around underground until he found a way into the pipe he actually needed to be in.

But that's just a wild guess.

I saw it for a second time this weekend. The theater was at least 85% full.

It was even better the second time around.

There were 15 or 16 people in the theater for FF. On opening weekend. On a Saturday afternoon. With clouds and rain looming outside.

There were 15 or 16 people in the theater for FF. On opening weekend. On a Saturday afternoon. With clouds and rain looming outside.

I was kind of surprised with the turn out for Ant Man myself. When I went to purchase my ticket, the group in front of me in line bought tickets to Ant Man too. Just goes to show how much more staying power a better cast and a better story has.

Not good for that one

Word of mouth spread fast from Friday night?

The funny part is this - people that were planning to hit FF may just opt for a second viewing of Ant-Man instead. lol

Edited by kimik

Word of mouth spread fast from Friday night?

The funny part is this - people that were planning to hit FF may just opt for a second viewing of Ant-Man instead. lol

That is most probably what is taking place. Folks have probably seen Ant-Man and Rogue Nation, and then it ends up a coin toss which one to go see again. Both are doing very well.

Ant-Man is still experiencing normal box office drop-off compared to previous Marvel Studios productions. There have been some movies that dropped quicker, and movies that dropped less. But so far, Ant-Man is within a normal range.

2vo0LXs.png

And it now is profitable with a 2.51X Revenue Ratio

ertFk0D.png

KiG1C8H.png

DfJuvIA.png

And it still has Japan and China to open up.

Italy (12 August 2015)

South Korea (20 August 2015)

Austria (27 August 2015)

Greece (17 September 2015)

China (18 September 2015)

Japan (19 September 2015)

The film is not quite profitable yet. Considering from international after expenses they only take in 15 percent. Domestic take is around 50 to 55 percent after the theater gets their cuts . So this film at most only brought in around 108 million. You still have to figure marketing budget which would be around 65 to 70 million so the cost of the film is around 200 million altogether.

It is very close to being at a profitable margin once DVD/BluRay/Streaming/Purchases/Rentals are figured in.

This film is not a box office bomb, but the film is a disappointment from money brought in domestically. The film will finish in 2nd to last place as the worst performing in the MCU history. The first since 2011 to bring in under 200 million domestically.

Considering how this film has performed domestically as well as the under performance of Avengers 2 and the Fantastic Four. The comic book film bubble has popped and we are on a way downward slope just like the horror fad of the 80's and the action films of the 90's.

The film is not quite profitable yet. Considering from international after expenses they only take in 15 percent. Domestic take is around 50 to 55 percent after the theater gets their cuts. So this film at most only brought in around 108 million. You still have to figure marketing budget which would be around 65 to 70 million so the cost of the film is around 200 million altogether.

In reality, there are a number of things that would take away from any final profit number. That's why I avoid comparing profit numbers, because there would be a number of balance sheet expenditures that would come out of the final number (e.g. profit share agreements, regional unique fees associated with a given market). But there would also be income and other benefits that are hard to tie back to a given film (regional tax breaks to encourage a production in a given area; merchandising agreements that would counter any movie expense). If you find those figures for all these movies, please point me to them.

As far as the 15% overseas studio profit share, assuming a given studio doesn't have bargaining power to influence the final percentage, that's an easy number that gets thrown out without credible studio references or balance sheet details. But there is definitely a higher expense internationally since so many sources point out that detail.