• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Foom 2 a Prototype for Wolverine?

Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?

410 posts in this topic

What would you call Deadpool's first appearance then?

This is a different situation, and dealers have tried this before with Marvel Age, and it never works. People like the first comic book appearance, not a blurb in Marvel Age or a pre-release ad in a comic book.

What makes FOOM 2 different is that it's an undiscovered curiosity and has piqued some collector's interest. I find it very interesting, and while it will never be a prototype for Wolverine or Punisher, it is a very interesting piece of Bronze Age history and fandom.

But if Marvel Age catches on, better stock up on the Daredevil issue with this in it!! :takeit:

i think with marvel age it depends on what's in it. something like #97 should be considered darkhawks first app, hes on the cover and there is an actual preview of issue 1 inside

How many do you have?

All of them.

Up to this point, fandom has not determined that preview appearances are true 1st appearances. I'm not sure why people expect that to change now?

I think it should be looked at on a case by case basis, that Daredevil issue looks to predate Hulk 181 and Marvel Age 97 has Darkhawk on the cover. That's a first appearance no matter what fandom or the market says.

- Let's not forget the Previews issue with the ad for Spawn- if my memory serves me correctly, it was a full page ad.

- And while we're at it, I might as well mention Gobbledygook 1 with the full page ad of the TMNT that is deemed to be the first appearance of the Turtles.

What would you call Deadpool's first appearance then?

This is a different situation, and dealers have tried this before with Marvel Age, and it never works. People like the first comic book appearance, not a blurb in Marvel Age or a pre-release ad in a comic book.

What makes FOOM 2 different is that it's an undiscovered curiosity and has piqued some collector's interest. I find it very interesting, and while it will never be a prototype for Wolverine or Punisher, it is a very interesting piece of Bronze Age history and fandom.

But if Marvel Age catches on, better stock up on the Daredevil issue with this in it!! :takeit:

That ad was in Daredevil #115, which was released the same month as Hulk #181 and one month after Hulk #180. So you could hype Daredevil #115 as an early Wolverine appearance but not his first appearance.

That ad was in Daredevil #115, which was released the same month as Hulk #181 and one month after Hulk #180. So you could hype Daredevil #115 as an early Wolverine appearance but not his first appearance.

But I think it was on the stands first - comics were released weekly and I can remember looking this up and seeing that Daredevil was on the spinner rack before Hulk. Like the whole ASM 252, MTU 14, PPSSM 90 deal where ASM 252 physically appeared first, even though all 3 are cover dated the same month.

It would make sense too, as any ad would need to appear just before the comic it depicted.

This one is getting out of control. Here's one for $83 up in a few hours:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foom-2-F-VF-Prototype-Wolverine-Pre-Hulk-181-No-Back-Label-Real-Scan/131083233236?_trksid=p2047675.m1986&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D361%26meid%3D4047082209204884750%26pid%3D100013%26prg%3D1004%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D261372235186%26

I got Steranko's very last FOOM kit directly from him (he designed the whole thing) that has the first 2 issues and a bunch of other things for $125 a few years ago and I thought that was a LOT then!

Wolvie's 1st app was in Inc. Hulk. That's it. We all know that. Having some promo image or advertisment in other books, previews, or magazines is irrelevant. There's no story there. This is just inflating books. That said, I certainly don't blame anyone for making $ on percieved value.

HAPPY SELLING!

But I think it was on the stands first - comics were released weekly and I can remember looking this up and seeing that Daredevil was on the spinner rack before Hulk. Like the whole ASM 252, MTU 14, PPSSM 90 deal where ASM 252 physically appeared first, even though all 3 are cover dated the same month.

It would make sense too, as any ad would need to appear just before the comic it depicted.

I see what you're saying but breaking it down to weekly release is probably splitting hairs when it comes down to the the release month. Now if CGC started putting on the labels " Week 1-11/74 " vs "Week 2-11/74" then we could see defended as definitive because the label says it. You don't expect people to think about that on their own do you? I'm just being sarcastic in general about the state of the hobby.

True, I would love to see the crazy price a slabbed 9.8 would bring right now. :popcorn:

I see what you're saying but breaking it down to weekly release is probably splitting hairs when it comes down to the the release month. Now if CGC started putting on the labels " Week 1-11/74 " vs "Week 2-11/74" then we could see defended as definitive because the label says it. You don't expect people to think about that on their own do you? I'm just being sarcastic in general about the state of the hobby.

Would Marvel release a comic with an ad for another comic on the same day? Sounds unlikely so now I must find a high grade copy of Daredevil 115.

True, I would love to see the crazy price a slabbed 9.8 would bring right now. :popcorn:

That would be almost as entertaining as the first NM 98 in 9.9 and the first Walking Dea 9.9.

That was some "pull up the chair, and enjoy" kind of entertainment.

This one is getting out of control. Here's one for $83 up in a few hours:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foom-2-F-VF-Prototype-Wolverine-Pre-Hulk-181-No-Back-Label-Real-Scan/131083233236?_trksid=p2047675.m1986&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D361%26meid%3D4047082209204884750%26pid%3D100013%26prg%3D1004%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D261372235186%26

I got Steranko's very last FOOM kit directly from him (he designed the whole thing) that has the first 2 issues and a bunch of other things for $125 a few years ago and I thought that was a LOT then!

Wolvie's 1st app was in Inc. Hulk. That's it. We all know that. Having some promo image or advertisment in other books, previews, or magazines is irrelevant. There's no story there. This is just inflating books. That said, I certainly don't blame anyone for making $ on percieved value.

HAPPY SELLING!

This one ended at 305. :popcorn:

Would Marvel release a comic with an ad for another comic on the same day? Sounds unlikely so now I must find a high grade copy of Daredevil 115.

If DD115 was released prior to IH181 in November 1974, DD115 still was released after IH180 in October 1974. So, is the potential significance of DD115 that it was the second appearance (in advertisement only, not in story) of Wolverine?

Yes, they did and do it all the time. If I recall, the ads they ran for the month ran through all the comics for that month. If Daredevil 115 has that Wolverine ad, so should many other Marvel comics for that month. Am I wrong about this?

Yes, they did and do it all the time. If I recall, the ads they ran for the month ran through all the comics for that month. If Daredevil 115 has that Wolverine ad, so should many other Marvel comics for that month. Am I wrong about this?

Other comics that were released that month.

ab0aa09e87f51501b402b9c331fcb2df_zpsad62a831.jpg[/img]