• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Foom 2 a Prototype for Wolverine?

Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Is Foom 2 a Wolverine Prototype?

410 posts in this topic

I see what you're saying but breaking it down to weekly release is probably splitting hairs when it comes down to the the release month.

Not really, as ASM 252 is universally accepted at the first appearance of the black costume, simply because it came out a week or two earlier than the other Spidey books.

You can also see on the Hulk 181 ad that it was on stands July 30, right at the end of the month. Hard to dispute that.

Yes, they did and do it all the time. If I recall, the ads they ran for the month ran through all the comics for that month. If Daredevil 115 has that Wolverine ad, so should many other Marvel comics for that month.

I think it's known to be in 2 of them so far, and you'd have to look at the early-month releases as there was definitely a lead time for these.

Marvel wanted you reading Daredevil and then checking the stands on July 30 to buy Hulk 181. And yes, hot comics would sell out all the time at the stands, like ASM, X-Men, Avengers, etc. and then you had to buy something like The Eternals or Devil Dinosaur for your fix.

Would Marvel release a comic with an ad for another comic on the same day? Sounds unlikely so now I must find a high grade copy of Daredevil 115.

If DD115 was released prior to IH181 in November 1974, DD115 still was released after IH180 in October 1974. So, is the potential significance of DD115 that it was the second appearance (in advertisement only, not in story) of Wolverine?

No

That ad was in Daredevil #115, which was released the same month as Hulk #181 and one month after Hulk #180. So you could hype Daredevil #115 as an early Wolverine appearance but not his first appearance.

But I think it was on the stands first - comics were released weekly and I can remember looking this up and seeing that Daredevil was on the spinner rack before Hulk. Like the whole ASM 252, MTU 14, PPSSM 90 deal where ASM 252 physically appeared first, even though all 3 are cover dated the same month.

It would make sense too, as any ad would need to appear just before the comic it depicted.

I see what you're saying but breaking it down to weekly release is probably splitting hairs when it comes down to the the release month. Now if CGC started putting on the labels " Week 1-11/74 " vs "Week 2-11/74" then we could see defended as definitive because the label says it. You don't expect people to think about that on their own do you? I'm just being sarcastic in general about the state of the hobby.

Would Marvel release a comic with an ad for another comic on the same day? Sounds unlikely so now I must find a high grade copy of Daredevil 115.

62rfc.jpg

Yes, they did and do it all the time. If I recall, the ads they ran for the month ran through all the comics for that month. If Daredevil 115 has that Wolverine ad, so should many other Marvel comics for that month.

I think it's known to be in 2 of them so far, and you'd have to look at the early-month releases as there was definitely a lead time for these.

Marvel wanted you reading Daredevil and then checking the stands on July 30 to buy Hulk 181. And yes, hot comics would sell out all the time at the stands, like ASM, X-Men, Avengers, etc. and then you had to buy something like The Eternals or Devil Dinosaur for your fix.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear on what I wrote.

My recollection of this is the ads that Marvel ran for a month ran through *ALL* the titles they had that month. They didn't change the ads from week to week or from book to book. So, even the Incredible Hulk issue out the same month as Daredevil 115 would have the Wolverine ad. I'd have to dig through my collection, but I'm sure I have examples of ads for a book inside the very book the ad is for.

Am I correct about this?

62rfc.jpg

Not a very expensive book in high grade, if I paid through the nose then I guess your image would apply.

My recollection of this is the ads that Marvel ran for a month ran through *ALL* the titles they had that month. They didn't change the ads from week to week or from book to book. So, even the Incredible Hulk issue out the same month as Daredevil 115 would have the Wolverine ad. I'd have to dig through my collection, but I'm sure I have examples of ads for a book inside the very book the ad is for.

Am I correct about this?

I just looked inside FF #152, Tomb of Dracula #26 and Sgt Fury #123. All three titles were on the stands the same month as DD #115 and Hulk #181. None of them had ads for Wolverine appearing in Hulk #181. :popcorn:

62rfc.jpg

Not a very expensive book in high grade, if I paid through the nose then I guess your image would apply.

Buying that book with the expectation that it is, or will ever be, anything but the bargain bin fodder that it is, is going to end in disappointment.

Am I correct about this?

I just looked inside FF #152, Tomb of Dracula #26 and Sgt Fury #123. All three titles were on the stands the same month as DD #115 and Hulk #181. None of them had ads for Wolverine appearing in Hulk #181. :popcorn:

Well, that is interesting. Marvel ran an ad for Wolverine in only Daredevil 115 for the month? I thought I knew how ads worked in comics, but I guess I don't. :sorry:

What does the page with the Wolverine ad look like? Was it a complete page or part of a page? Was it just at the end of the letter's page? If that was the case I can see that not being in every Marvel comic for the month. Each letter page would have been pasted together separately for each book. But if it was on a page with other ads, I can't see Daredevil 115 being the only comic with that ad unless Daredevil's story came up a page short and Marvel had an extra page to fill in that title.

62rfc.jpg

Buying that book with the expectation that it is, or will ever be, anything but the bargain bin fodder that it is, is going to end in disappointment.

Nothing in my statement suggests I would want a copy of 115 for the reason you mention

62rfc.jpg

Nothing in my statement suggests I would want a copy of 115 for the reason you mention

You post sounds like you want one because you are convinced that it's an early/pre 1st appearance of Wolverine.

It isn't. That could lead to...ummm....disappointment.

62rfc.jpg

You post sounds like you want one because you are convinced that it's an early/pre 1st appearance of Wolverine.

when u say bargain bin fodder you are trying to create a correlation between my desire for appearances of Wolverine with the potential for monetary gain. Nothing could be further from the truth. Don't get me wrong, I am all for comics that I love increasing in value but the hunt is what attracts me to the hobby. I could care less if Daredevil 115 ever increases in value past 5 bucks. If I like a character enough I try to acquire all appearances I deem relevant. I am not out to make money on most comics i buy, I would rather put them all in one place and sit with them, like this guy

smaug-classic_zps0fa21f2e.jpg

62rfc.jpg

when u say bargain bin fodder you are trying to create a correlation between my desire for appearances of Wolverine with the potential for monetary gain. Nothing could be further from the truth. Don't get me wrong, I am all for comics that I love increasing in value but the hunt is what attracts me to the hobby. I could care less if Daredevil 115 ever increases in value past 5 bucks. If I like a character enough I try to acquire all appearances I deem relevant. I am not out to make money on most comics i buy, I would rather put them all in one place and sit with them, like this guy

smaug-classic_zps0fa21f2e.jpg

The "High Grade Copy" part of what you posted is what made it sound that way.

IxNpXNn.jpg?1

Am I correct that if a full page of ads is in one Marvel comic, it appears in all the Marvel comics for that month? Or did/does Marvel do different ad pages for different titles? I always thought a company bought ad space in Marvel comics and it ran in all comics. For example, if the back cover showed an ad for Star Trek: TMP, that ad would adorn all Marvel's that month. If page 6 showed an ad for the Dungeons and Dragons game, all page 6 Marvel comics showed an ad for the Dungeon and Dragons game.

The Wolverine ad being on a letter page is different however. First, it is in-house. Second, the letter pages were done per title, so some might have ads, other were complete letters, others might have an editorial, etc. and I suspect it would be up to the editor of the title to fill the content however he saw fit. So it make sense that ad does not show up in every Marvel for the month.

I'll willing to be corrected on my thinking here.