• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

I really don't get it, I really enjoyed. I watched it on HBO with my wife and 2 young girls and we all liked it. In fact both of my kids said they liked it better than CA:CW.

I expected to hate the movie based on the 9% rotten tomatoes score, but I don't understand the hate. Yes it was very formulaic, but not bad at all. Way way better than BVS.

I really don't get it, I really enjoyed. I watched it on HBO with my wife and 2 young girls and we all liked it. In fact both of my kids said they liked it better than CA:CW.

I expected to hate the movie based on the 9% rotten tomatoes score, but I don't understand the hate. Yes it was very formulaic, but not bad at all. Way way better than BVS.

Possibly the most vicious thing ever said about BVS.

Finally watched it on HBO today. I think I'd let all the negativity around this movie bubble up to just the right level to where I could watch it and go "Uh, well, that didn't COMPLETELY offend me."

The thing I kept thinking the whole time was that it seemed like a Fantastic Four movie made by people who really had no interest in making a Fantastic Four movie, other than in name only. Reminded me of the 3-minutes of Catwoman I saw in that way.

I will say this, I think if you'd take that cast, and given it to the Marvel folks, they could have worked with it and made something decent. All the issues, to me, were in the horrific story. The acting was inoffensive.

Based on the reviews "The acting was inoffensive" might have made it as a pull quote on a TV ad if I'd written it in an opening week online review. lol

Edited by fmaz

Didn't see that coming.

0BnyFUG.jpg

My brother (who is not really a comics guy, but generally enjoys comic movies) watched this the other night on HBO & sent me a txt as soon as it was over:

"You were right - fantastic four was awful. I just wasted an hour and 40 minutes on it. Thankfully I'm going to bed early tonight so the nonsense I dream about will make up for how bad that was to watch. "

So it's not just comic geeks that hated it even for free on HBO.

I waited for this to come to Netflix. Glad I did not pay anything really to watch this travesty. At least we know why Thing was really mad...What happened to the Things thing?

Apparently it was chopped off during his transformation, which would account for him being such a whining pu**y the whole movie

"Reed help"

"Reed help me"

'RRREEEEEDDDDDD"

Over and over

Worst portrayal of Ben Grimm EVER

Didn't look right, sound right, move right, or act right.

Completely out of character from the comic book

Watched this lemon flick on MC (part of my cable plan there). The special effects was ok, dialogue was terrible. Their actions were slewed. I've not seen Dr.Doom with the look like before. WTH?

In short, I watched it while I was working with some of my books on table. To the point, the books on table were more entertained than watching it. zzz

If Fox do go for making another FF movie, people need to stop wasting their money to go see it. Money spent on tickets is like casting support toward it. :sumo:

I think I figured out the problem with this movie. Somewhere along the line, someone gave the writers/director the wrong comic books to use as source material & by the time they realized it, the movie was starting production. Then, being too late for a re-write, they made up a story about how it was a whole new take on the characters instead of "oh , we totally screwed the pooch in writing this story & wrote the wrong characters":

It was Rockslide from New X-Men instead of the Thing.

Inferno from the Inhumans instead of Human Torch

I think they might have kinda sorta got Sue Storm right. Except it was based on some cold war era soviet knock-off version of the FF

Randall Dowling from Planetary instead of Reed

And they either confused DoomBots for actual Doom or they were convinced that that guy from Nip/Tuck that was in the Tim Story movies actually didn't do too bad of a job.

If Fox do go for making another FF movie, people need to stop wasting their money to go see it. Money spent on tickets is like casting support toward it. :sumo:

What money spent? This movie lost more money for Fox than the oil market slide did for Venezuela.

Somewhere along the line, someone gave the writers/director the wrong comic books to use as source material...

I believe it was quoted that no-one used the comics as source material for this movie.

The director made it a requirement that the actors not read any of the FF comic books prior to their performances.

:facepalm:

Somewhere along the line, someone gave the writers/director the wrong comic books to use as source material...

I believe it was quoted that no-one used the comics as source material for this movie.

That was for the actors. I don't think that the writers/director had any such constraints.

That edict from the director probably happened after everyone realized that the writers were given the wrong source comics to read & wrote a -script with 5 entirely unrelated characters. "Oh , if they read even 1 page of an actual FF comic, they're gonna realize how much we borked this whole thing up"

Yes, this is all wild speculation but at least then, it could be excused as an egregious mistake in the research/creative phase instead of "did you really read anything in those like 600 issues of the FF comic that would make you think that the garbage you wrote for this movie could even be mistaken for a 'modern/dark interpretation' of the actual FF?"

That edict from the director probably happened after everyone realized that the writers were given the wrong source comics to read & wrote a -script with 5 entirely unrelated characters.

Seems pretty clear it drew most of its inspiration from Ultimate Fantastic Four, but yea, many elements I've seen from trailers or heard described in reviews or this thread also sound quite different from any comic. I wouldn't refer to UFF as the "wrong" source comics though, Marvel has been suggesting elements to screenwriters from the Ultimate line since the 2000 X-Men film.

That edict from the director probably happened after everyone realized that the writers were given the wrong source comics to read & wrote a -script with 5 entirely unrelated characters.

Seems pretty clear it drew most of its inspiration from Ultimate Fantastic Four, but yea, many elements I've seen from trailers or heard described in reviews or this thread also sound quite different from any comic. I wouldn't refer to UFF as the "wrong" source comics though, Marvel has been suggesting elements from the Ultimate line since the 2000 X-Men film.

Story? Yes. Characters? No.

I still think this was Rockslide, Inferno, Randall Dowling, (maybe?) Sue Storm & the love-child of a DoomBot having sex with the Jamie Foxx Electro from ASM 2 , complete with all the logic one would expect of the offspring of a father that hated spider-man & became a super-villain because Spidey didn't come to his birthday party.

Well, the first two credited writers on this are Jeremy Slater (who has mostly written horror movies, including one of The Exorcist remakes) & Simon Kinberg, who wrote Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Sherlock Holmes, X-Men: Last Stand, Days of Future Past & Apocalypse.

But more importantly, Kinberg was the producer on this who saw the train wreck happen first-hand and got Trank fired from his Star Wars anthology film. Rumor has it, Kinberg had Trank fired in post-production so they could try to salvage FF in editing.

Kinberg knows what he's doing, and his pull extends beyond Fox and goes all the way up the Disney food chain to Kathleen Kennedy (who is overseeing all things Star Wars).

I have a friend who is a complete non-comic book reader, and yet now fully onboard with the whole MCU (once I sold him on Guardians of the Galaxy and he loved it). He went and saw Fantastic Four in the theater and enjoyed it.

Now, he's caught up and has seen every MCU movie and told me that if this were one of them, he'd clearly rank it last, but he still enjoyed it.

Sort of backs up what many/most of us have been saying but sheds some light. I said earlier it felt like a Fantastic Four movie by people who had no real interest in making a Fantastic Four movie. Others have noted that these characters bore little relation to the characters we know. And the story came from nowhere.

But a non-comic fan would know none of that. I mean, he watches all the MCU movies and doesn't bring expectations for the characters or the stories either. So I guess he liked this just as an adventure movie about young scientists going to another dimension and dealing with the ramifications.

Doesn't make the movie stink any less. Just a different way of looking at it that I thought I'd share.