• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

I want a good Stan Lee and Jack Kirby Fantastic Four movie...

(thumbs u

One day, a brave and very creative young filmmaker is somehow going to defy all the bean counters and dispassionate, dim-witted corporate custodians (some would say jailers) of our favorite characters, and make a colorful, fun, fast-paced, exciting, and truly imaginative FF movie which honors the legacy of the title AND can still be enjoyed by a general audience in search of old-fashioned, SF-based superhero action and adventure.

Until then, here's a look at what might have been...and, with a little tweaking, what could still be, in the right hands:

http://auntpetunia.com/index.html

To date, this remains the only (never) filmed version of the FF (never filmed because it never existed in the first place!) that I'm even remotely interested in seeing!

FACE FRONT!!!

(thumbs u

One day, a brave and very creative young filmmaker is somehow going to defy all the bean counters and dispassionate, dim-witted corporate custodians (some would say jailers) of our favorite characters, and make a colorful, fun, fast-paced, exciting, and truly imaginative FF movie which honors the legacy of the title AND can still be enjoyed by a general audience in search of old-fashioned, SF-based superhero action and adventure.

Until then, here's a look at what might have been...and, with a little tweaking, what could still be, in the right hands:

To date, this remains the only (never) filmed version of the FF (never filmed because it never existed in the first place!) that I'm even remotely interested in seeing!

FACE FRONT!!!

Would LOVE to see this.

Some really big names there.

(thumbs u

FACE FRONT!!!

With the success of X-Men First Class and the love of all things Madmen, it seems the FF would be the perfect movie to do a retro re-telling of their origin.

Hmmm...Wait a minute.....

Jon Hamm as Mr. Fantastic?

January Jones as Sue Storm?

Vincent Kartheiser as Johnny Storm?

Rich Sommer (Harry Crane) as Ben Grimm?

John Slattery (Roger Sterling) as Dr. Doom?

Christina Hendricks (Joan) as Medusa?

lol... ok

I would be absolutely shocked if this movie, even in an expanded Foreign market - could do 600M worldwide.....

Fantastic Four is not the X-Men, and the X-Men: Days of Future Past is the only real breakthrough foreign money comic book movie for Fox Studios...

My guess is this movie is, based on what I've seen so far, a $150M domestic at best if it's lucky based upon the name alone. If they're lucky. So far, this has bust written all over it.

That means it'd have to do 450M foreign, putting it in the X-Men DOFP (the only comic book Fox movie to break that total).

No way I'd make that bet.

We shall see. The safer bet is probably $400 MM worldwide, depending on how Fox attempts to market this in the international market.

Much better bet... if it doesn't hit that, it'll be considered a bust, and keep in mind...

You are correct in that only X-Men: DoFP has exceeded $400 MM in the international market. But even if they can pull off The Wolverine numbers on the same production budget, it would be a success.

Wolverine had a 120M budget and a 132M domestic take.... Wolverine is a bigger name, with a bigger name draw (Hugh Jackman) as a part of a much bigger name franchise (X-Men).... this FF movie is all crossing fingers at this point, and August can be a tough month for blockbusters that don't have a good word of mouth...

and as I pointed out before, if Ant-man rocks....

Even the 2005 FF movie was a financial success, breaking the 2.5X barrier and leading to a sequel. But it was the lower budget that helped it get there.

And it green lit the sequel which for many movie goers, is the last thing they remember about this franchise.

What is the 2015 FF's budget?

Don't know. They may not be finished and have the final numbers to lie about yet.

I never seen this much hate for a Comic Book Movie since X-Men:First Class.

Is it because of the casting or it's because the movie isn't made by Marvel/Disney?

It's like old Coke and new Coke. Some things should be left alone. The Lee/Kirby vision of the FF should be all the studios need. Using that formula with work. IMHO. Jack's stuff was so far ahead of it's time. Like Roddenbery. Like Asimov. Even like Stan Lee. Also, I enjoyed 1st Class. Yes, it had some things wrong with it, but it didn't completely gut the franchise like DOFP did. :foryou:

Don't know. They may not be finished and have the final numbers to lie about yet.

04GTTG3.png

I feel comfortable estimating $160 MM as the budget. Though most of these studios hide how much goes into marketing, and that is going to be the additional expense we would like to know.

I never seen this much hate for a Comic Book Movie since X-Men:First Class.

Is it because of the casting or it's because the movie isn't made by Marvel/Disney?

It's like old Coke and new Coke. Some things should be left alone. The Lee/Kirby vision of the FF should be all the studios need. Using that formula with work. IMHO. Jack's stuff was so far ahead of it's time. Like Roddenbery. Like Asimov. Even like Stan Lee. Also, I enjoyed 1st Class. Yes, it had some things wrong with it, but it didn't completely gut the franchise like DOFP did. :foryou:

^^

Being in one of those 'International' countries I can tell you amongst my group, and my childrens groups of friends (early 20's) - there is ZERO interest in seeing this film.

Supanova is on this week - no mention of Fox even having a presence in it.

Tony Moore is here, plus Penguin and Michonne.

Dunno if any USA dealers are coming over, as if they are, they are not in the advertising. I think Harley Yee came over a year or two back?

I'd imagine the cost would cripple the American dealers, even with the huge prices key books command here.

Being in one of those 'International' countries I can tell you amongst my group, and my childrens groups of friends (early 20's) - there is ZERO interest in seeing this film.

Supanova is on this week - no mention of Fox even having a presence in it.

Tony Moore is here, plus Penguin and Michonne.

Dunno if any USA dealers are coming over, as if they are, they are not in the advertising. I think Harley Yee came over a year or two back?

I'd imagine the cost would cripple the American dealers, even with the huge prices key books command here.

Is there any Fox marketing going on internationally for this movie yet?

While I can understand some of the disappointment with the take of the film, what I don't understand is the extreme dislike for the movie. Dare I say 'hate'?

I think it will be better than the last set. I'm actually excited to see this as the bar is extremely low and I suspect it might surprise me and actually be good.

While I can understand some of the disappointment with the take of the film, what I don't understand is the extreme dislike for the movie. Dare I say 'hate'?

I think it will be better than the last set. I'm actually excited to see this as the bar is extremely low and I suspect it might surprise me and actually be good.

It might actually be good.

My prediction is for it's financial showing, which thus far I'm thinking will be 'mediocre'.

My prediction is for it's financial showing, which thus far I'm thinking will be 'mediocre'.

yes i think that's a tough one to gauge. the previous films have not helped put this movie in a winning position. my comment was directed more at those foaming at the mouth

in the end it's just a comic book movie, not the Sistine Chapel being torn down and recreated

yes i think that's a tough one to gauge. the previous films have not helped put this movie in a winning position. my comment was directed more at those foaming at the mouth

in the end it's just a comic book movie, not the Sistine Chapel being torn down and recreated

I think one of the things Stan Lee did in the Silver Age was give people a feeling of belonging to a special group and that he was telling stories just for them, and as such there's a greater feeling of betrayal when some outsider comes in and rearranges what is considered to be a sort of holy grail of stories. (Which, let's facet, it is. It created a whole new universe that still exists today).

Most changes to movies in Hollywood generally arise out of ego, as opposed to creativity (Amy Pascal of Sony becoming Co-Chair at Sony and taking over an at the time successful 2 movie Spider-man franchise is a great example), and so there's a multiple chances for stupidity along the chain of creation - actor, agent, writer, director, studio exec, etc.

So once a chain of dum dum's begin to show their work (though pre-movie interviews, trailers), and they start to show a lack of understanding of how to make a successful super hero movie to the fans (and the fans start to speak out) - they THEN begin a process to show less and less of their work, and even at a certain point withhold a movie from pre-screening to critics, lie about budget, keep certain views a mystery - in hopes that enough 'fans of the francise' will ignore these glaring warning signs and say "I suspect it might surprise me and actually be good", so they can get your $10.75 and avoid complete financial disaster.

It's a manipulative dance to take advantage of the masses.

Comics do it using events, deaths, crossovers, reboots, etc. - they've given up on trying to attract an audience outside of the same people showing up every month - because they went down the same path - Editorial control over creative control - and it has generally led to a more mediocre mainstream of comics by the Big Two.

Image, who is starting to dominate sales of the tpb collections (7 of the top 10 spots last year), has gotten there by going the the exact opposite route, creativity supremely rules over editorial.

None of the major movies studios do it, though HBO has been a great example of it on TV Series level, giving the creative teams complete control over their projects once they sign them. AMC is starting to follow suit, to much success.

This isn't a plea to not go see the movie. We all go see something we regret, and I have no idea if it's regrettable yet or not. (Heck, I shelled out $10.75 for Hot Tub Time Machine 2... but rather an understanding of why I have a hard time supporting, what I consider, some studio execs bloated, grotesque ego fart.

I'm a studio exec.

I'm all powerful.

::POOT::

rate that for me, but pay me first.

For me, 'superhero' isn't an excuse to see a bad movie. (Though poop and fart jokes obviously still is).

my comment was directed more at those foaming at the mouth

Hec, my typing words on a screen is not me "foaming at the mouth." I save that stuff for when I rarely hear the news of the day about who's been killed and who's being discriminated against. Then I get angry about the world my daughter has to grow up in.

That being said, The Fantastic Four are more precious to me than any other comic book character or book. What Stan & Jack did, and then Byrne after them, got me into comics and put me down a very rewarding and important path in my life which is still a major influence today.

When hacks come in and mess with that, especially to the degree they have already even BEFORE a full 5 minutes of film is seen...well, that's inexcusable in my book. This is compounded by seeing what others that have respect and reverence for the source material can do with it...from Peter Jackson's LOTR to Nolan's Batman to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The FF is getting crapped on, and I don't like it one bit.

In layman terms I think the consensus with most of comic book fandom is

1. It will be a decent movie. :)

2. It will do mediocre at the box office, especially with the domestic crowd. :o

3. My biggest gripe and I think most will agree is it won`t respect or be close to Jack Kirby and Stan Lee`s vision of FF. :(

So in a nutshell it will be a movie franchise that will be rebooted again in 7 to 10 years do to not getting it right this time.

That`s my expectation.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

In layman terms I think the consensus with most of comic book fandom is

1. It will be a decent movie. :)

2. It will do mediocre at the box office, especially with the domestic crowd. :o

3. My biggest gripe and I think most will agree is it won`t respect or be close to Jack Kirby and Stan Lee`s vision of FF. :(

So in a nutshell it will be a movie franchise that will be rebooted again in 7 to 10 years do to not getting it right this time.

That`s my expectation.

If there is one thing about this movie, it is that there is no definite forecast you can trust right now. With the delayed marketing plan to make it a surprise, this can either go off real big or the audience interest will be so focused on movies which grabbed their attention much sooner and will pass on this film.

I don't know. The trailer kind of gave me some hope for the film because of the science fiction focus. And to read Stan Lee coming out and saying they may have gotten the original focus, I'm hoping that hints at something big.