• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

If there is one thing about this movie, it is that there is no definite forecast you can trust right now. With the delayed marketing plan to make it a surprise, this can either go off real big or the audience interest will be so focused on movies which grabbed their attention much sooner and will pass on this film.

I think that's right. At this time last year there was a lot of skepticism about GOTG. ["Who?"] Even in the days before the movie was released, a lot of people were holding their breath thinking this would be Marvel Studios' first crash-and-burn. If I'm Fox, I wouldn't be doing the advertising blitz the Avengers 2 is doing in the lead up to May 1st -- you can't beat Avengers head-to-head and why confuse potential viewers with early extended previews? My sense is that after Memorial Day Weekend, the FF media blitz is going to go hard. And even then, a lot of us are still going to think the movie will bomb. Have to literally wait and see before we can judge.

I just have a feeling this movie will be very Man of Steel-ish. Not necessarily a bad movie, in fact a pretty OK movie. Just not a good FF movie. And that's where the problems will be for both the critical, fan and financial reception.

Making a good movie is very often an excellent guarantee of success. Making a good movie that banks on at least some existing pop-culture knowledge of the source material is an even better guarantee of success. But making a good movie that banks on some of that existing pop-culture knowledge of the source material but ignoring the same source material inevitably feels like a bit of a bait & switch to those viewers that you drew in because of name recognition.

You get the hate thrown back at you in the media & your franchise becomes the butt of jokes because people just simplify it into "not good" instead of "not a good FF movie but otherwise, if it was called something else and used different names with slightly different powers as an original concept, would have been considered very good".

*edit* on an entirely unrelated note, I looked through that site someone linked to a few pages back on the 1963 live-action FF tv show and found the one with Doom... How does Hollywood not just go "no, seriously, just do this. It worked in 1963 & it still looks badass now"

Doom

Edited by Doktor

How does Hollywood not just go "no, seriously, just do this. It worked in 1963 & it still looks badass now"

Doom

And that is Marvel Studios' "secret sauce" which Sony and to a lesser degree Fox just keep missing. The story boards are all there from the 60s, 70s and 80s in funny book form, waiting to be shot on film.

Exactly. Marvel says "we already paid for all the story boards we could ever need when we wrote paychecks to Jack & the rest. We're just figuring out how to transpose those from printed picture to in front of the camera now".

If there is one thing about this movie, it is that there is no definite forecast you can trust right now. With the delayed marketing plan to make it a surprise, this can either go off real big or the audience interest will be so focused on movies which grabbed their attention much sooner and will pass on this film.

I think that's right. At this time last year there was a lot of skepticism about GOTG. ["Who?"] Even in the days before the movie was released, a lot of people were holding their breath thinking this would be Marvel Studios' first crash-and-burn. If I'm Fox, I wouldn't be doing the advertising blitz the Avengers 2 is doing in the lead up to May 1st -- you can't beat Avengers head-to-head and why confuse potential viewers with early extended previews? My sense is that after Memorial Day Weekend, the FF media blitz is going to go hard. And even then, a lot of us are still going to think the movie will bomb. Have to literally wait and see before we can judge.

The only bomb I predicted last year was ASM2 (it did). I thought GOTG looked like it might be fun if it didn't get too cute. (shrug) In fact, reading back through the thread it seemed the overall feeling was more hopeful than anything.

But then again, what Marvel was showing us pre-release of Guardians of the Galaxy was far superior to anything that we've seen from Fox on this FF movie.

Here was the GOTG trailer from FEBRUARY of last year... we fully see the main characters... and get a great sense of what the movie would be....

The only bomb I predicted last year was ASM2 (it did). I thought GOTG looked like it might be fun if it didn't get too cute. (shrug) In fact, reading back through the thread it seemed the overall feeling was more hopeful than anything.

But then again, what Marvel was showing us pre-release of Guardians of the Galaxy was far superior to anything that we've seen from Fox on this FF movie.

Here was the GOTG trailer from FEBRUARY of last year... we fully see the main characters... and get a great sense of what the movie would be....

Exactly. When that trailer hit, then the buzz began that GOTG was going to be fun.

There is no buzz with FF.

I don`t see any surprising breakout characters like Groot,Rocket Racoon or Starlord that will make an audience on the fence want to go see FF.

That`s why I`m surprised they`re not promoting The Thing and Doctor Doom.

Look at Avengers where they`re promoting Ultron.

Also you would think the FF trailer would show off the FF`s powers.

Either they are trying to surprise with the FF trailer by holding stuff back or they`re hiding that it`s going to be a dull turd.

I guess we will find out in August. :)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Best thing we can do is not go see it, convince others not to go see it, and let it flounder. Once it gets tagged with "disappointing opening weekend," we're one step closer to Fox telling themselves that comic book movies are on the decline, and selling the whole franchise.

Best thing we can do is not go see it, convince others not to go see it, and let it flounder. Once it gets tagged with "disappointing opening weekend," we're one step closer to Fox telling themselves that comic book movies are on the decline, and selling the whole franchise.

And what if the film is actually good?

Ha. That was a good one.

Then word of mouth will attract an audience.

If a studio can't promote a superhero movie in this day and age they either don't know what they're doing or the movie is a turd they're hiding in hopes that they get some ticket buyer's on name alone.

If you look at the ad campaign's Fox had for their 2015 release's so far - Taken 3, Kingsman, and Unfinished Business - it was a media blanket that started months before they came out. Where's the FF?

Anyone who's seen a movie in the last month has seen an EXTENSIVE trailer for Hitman: Agent 47 that shows a ton of action. It's a FULL trailer. And it comes out almost a month after the FF.

Something is amiss. It's not a guessing game, this is the way it works in Hollywood.

Next step is they hold it back from pre-release screening to critics and they drag their feet on what the budget is, OR they go back and do more filming to try and spice it up.

I want to bring up never judge a movie by it's trailer (RoboCop), but things are definitely different with internet media speculation over troubled projects (Robocop-actress drops out, the suit doesn't work, the MPAA, etc) than it was almost 30 years ago. Nowadays, if a big-budget movie is being a bit shy pre-release, than most likely we're getting a 'Wild, Wild West' or 'The Avengers' (98). I'm still hoping for the best.

I want to bring up never judge a movie by it's trailer (RoboCop), but things are definitely different with internet media speculation over troubled projects (Robocop-actress drops out, the suit doesn't work, the MPAA, etc) than it was almost 30 years ago.

The original trailer for RoboCop I thought was great at the time - it's what made me want to go see the movie... what was wrong with it? I just went and watched it on youtube... it may seem dated now, but at the time, I thought it was cool...All of that other stuff I don't care about - if the trailer looks good and I'm interested, I'll go see it.

The FF trailer uses tired, repetitive techniques to show very little of what I want to see, using actors I'm not all that interested in, and disregarding a story that I see as classic - what's my reason for seeing it? Because they're calling it the 'Fantastic Four'?

A studio has to do more than that to get my $10.75

One of the ways to do that is to create a trailer that is kickass... they haven't (or can't).

Nowadays, if a big-budget movie is being a bit shy pre-release, than most likely we're getting a 'Wild, Wild West' or 'The Avengers' (98). I'm still hoping for the best.

I had these same kind of discussion's prior to ASM2. Just sayin'.

Who owns the rights to Jim Hammond, the GA Human Torch? We did see the android body on display in Captain America... but still.

I want to bring up never judge a movie by it's trailer (RoboCop), but things are definitely different with internet media speculation over troubled projects (Robocop-actress drops out, the suit doesn't work, the MPAA, etc) than it was almost 30 years ago.

The original trailer for RoboCop I thought was great at the time - it's what made me want to go see the movie... what was wrong with it? I just went and watched it on youtube... it may seem dated now, but at the time, I thought it was cool...All of that other stuff I don't care about - if the trailer looks good and I'm interested, I'll go see it.

To me it was a minute and thirty-nine seconds of a bunch of shooting pyrotechnics all set to the score to the Terminator playing in the background. It looked like a minor step up from the other direct to video killer cyborg movies of the time. Nothing about Weller's inner struggle of regaining his humanity after he lost it, no Basil Poledouris score, nothing making it unique to make it connect better with the mainstream. I also used RoboCop as an example because of having a somewhat troubled sy-fy production too. :gossip:

All in all, agree to disagree.

The FF trailer uses tired, repetitive techniques to show very little of what I want to see, using actors I'm not all that interested in, and disregarding a story that I see as classic - what's my reason for seeing it? Because they're calling it the 'Fantastic Four'?

One of the ways to do that is to create a trailer that is kickass... they haven't (or can't).

Nowadays, if a big-budget movie is being a bit shy pre-release, than most likely we're getting a 'Wild, Wild West' or 'The Avengers' (98). I'm still hoping for the best.

I don't remember you or reading in depth discussions about ASM 2. Sorry, if I was somewhat redundant.

To me it was a minute and thirty-nine seconds of a bunch of shooting pyrotechnics all set to the score to the Terminator playing in the background. It looked like a minor step up from the other direct to video killer cyborg movies of the time. Nothing about Weller's inner struggle of regaining his humanity after he lost it, no Basil Poledouris score, nothing making it unique to make it connect better with the mainstream. I also used RoboCop as an example because of having a somewhat troubled sy-fy production too. :gossip:

All in all, agree to disagree.

Well...Robocop had a $13M budget ($27M adjusted for inflation), it broke that in it's first 7 days and would go on to do 4X it's budget (or $53M/$110 adjusted), and end up being somewhat influential to future action/sci-fi movies due to it's extreme violence....

If the FF can beat it's budget in 7 days and end up doing 4X it's budget overall, I'll gladly concede the trailer doesn't matter.

I'd even be willing to bet money it won't.

In fact, the trailer must have worked for Robocop, because it was the #1 movie it's opening weekend (as well as #1 in it's second weekend, with only a 20% drop - though that was probably due to word of mouth).... (shrug)

I don't remember you or reading in depth discussions about ASM 2. Sorry, if I was somewhat redundant.

It was over these exact same things. Ineffectual trailer, lack of understanding or use of source material, etc.

The number one determining factor for if a person see's a movie on opening weekend is it's trailer - it's important.... and so far they're blowing it.

If they release one next week that looks awesome, all of this goes away. Real simple.