• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

I never seen this much hate for a Comic Book Movie since X-Men:First Class.

Is it because of the casting or it's because the movie isn't made by Marvel/Disney? hm

Or maybe it's both.

Either way I'm going to see it no matter what :sumo:

I never seen this much hate for a Comic Book Movie since X-Men:First Class.

Is it because of the casting or it's because the movie isn't made by Marvel/Disney? hm

Or maybe it's both.

Either way I'm going to see it no matter what :sumo:

The trailers haven`t been that exciting. Compare the FF trailer to the new Star Wars, Avengers and James Bond trailers. It`s not even close.

I`ll go see it, but I`m not expecting X-Men First Class.

Sometimes a movie can surprise the heck out of you. I remember watching the trailer to Austin Powers thinking they used all the good jokes in it and thought it was kinda lame. Saw the movie and it was a magical experience that the whole audience shared as well. Flahback 10 years before Austin and it's safe to say RoboCop (Terminator clone) and Lethal Weapon's (WTF) trailers stunk as well. Look how they turned out. People have a right to hold reservations, but with movies I never tend lose faith in something over initial teasers (TV on the other hand...).

The alternate trailer that was screened with the Kingsman movie.

Looks like more overly-serious and turgidly portentous rubbish to me, with the same-old/same-old sonorous voice-over reading from the same-old/same-old sophomoric marketing copy...lots of faux-Socratic questions co-mingled with misplaced angst over the usual human failings and frailties, all designed to elicit knowing tingles from puffed-up undergraduate philosophy & sociology majors all over the world.

zzzzzzzzzzzz

Is this, after all, what Stan and Jack hath wrought in the end?

I guess so... :sorry:

The alternate trailer that was screened with the Kingsman movie.

Looks like more overly-serious and turgidly portentous rubbish to me, with the same-old/same-old sonorous voice-over reading from the same-old/same-old sophomoric marketing copy...lots of faux-Socratic questions co-mingled with misplaced angst over the usual human failings and frailties, all designed to elicit knowing tingles from puffed-up undergraduate philosophy & sociology majors all over the world.

zzzzzzzzzzzz

Is this, after all, what Stan and Jack hath wrought in the end?

I guess so... :sorry:

I can just see the kid who's directing this movie telling the trailer editor, "Make it like the Watchmen trailer!"

And the scary thing even after all these extensive changes to the foundational structure of the team - this movie could do $600 MM worldwide. Especially if Fox figures out how to make this click with the international market.

And the scary thing even after all these extensive changes to the foundational structure of the team - this movie could do $600 MM worldwide. Especially if Fox figures out how to make this click with the international market.

I would be absolutely shocked if this movie, even in an expanded Foreign market - could do 600M worldwide.....

Fantastic Four is not the X-Men, and the X-Men: Days of Future Past is the only real breakthrough foreign money comic book movie for Fox Studios...

My guess is this movie is, based on what I've seen so far, a $150M domestic at best if it's lucky based upon the name alone. If they're lucky. So far, this has bust written all over it.

That means it'd have to do 450M foreign, putting it in the X-Men DOFP (the only comic book Fox movie to break that total).

No way I'd make that bet.

Last few Fox Comic Book movies....

Kingmen 02/13/15

Domestic: $120,562,250 36.7%

+ Foreign: $208,301,000 63.3%

TOTAL $328,863,000

Obviously not as big a name or in the same class as the FF, but a comic book related movie built on word of mouth, that featured great trailers to promote it.

X-Men: Days of Future Past 05/23/14

Domestic: $233,921,534 31.3%

+ Foreign: $514,200,000 68.7%

= Worldwide: $748,121,534

Worldwide the X-Men still are a big deal in name. Another film built with word of mouth and exceptional trailers.....

The Wolverine 07/26/13

Domestic: $132,556,852 32.0%

+ Foreign: $282,271,394 68.0%

= Worldwide: $414,828,246

Wolverine couldn't do it.... and he's a bigger deal than the FF these days...

Plus FF is an August release, and on the heels of Ant-man - if that turns out to be a hit it could really hurt the FF....

No way I'd make that bet on FF....

That`s the key the International market.

It`s probably going to be a decent movie. It should have some popularity with the FF trailer having 42 million views to set a record.

FF sets Fox record.

For some reason though I am not getting the Stan Lee and Jack Kirby vibe about it. The Thing is my favorite FF character. For some reason there hasn`t been much in the trailers about him. Either they`re trying to surprise the audience or he is going to come off as ridiculous so they are minimizing showing the Thing.

Other random things that don`t sound right.

Doom as a blogger doesn`t appeal to me. That`s showing me they`re trying to be too cute with modernizing it for the hip crowd.

Watching the FF trailer reminded me of Interstellar. Seen it and done it.

The classic origin is cool, so of course they are going to change it.

Yeah, it might not be possible, but hey it worked for over 50 years. Changing the origin is kind of like saying we`re going to show you a superior way.

My expectations is this movie will do a 5 or 6 on a scale of 1 to 10.

I want a good Stan Lee and Jack Kirby Fantastic Four movie, not a Fantastic Four movie only in name only.

That`s were the disappointment is.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I love how this movie is flying under the radar.

I have a funny feeling its gonna be one of those movies that people expect to be bad, but then it turns out to be awesome.

I bet FOX tries to link this movie up with the X-Franchise and make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I would be absolutely shocked if this movie, even in an expanded Foreign market - could do 600M worldwide.....

Fantastic Four is not the X-Men, and the X-Men: Days of Future Past is the only real breakthrough foreign money comic book movie for Fox Studios...

My guess is this movie is, based on what I've seen so far, a $150M domestic at best if it's lucky based upon the name alone. If they're lucky. So far, this has bust written all over it.

That means it'd have to do 450M foreign, putting it in the X-Men DOFP (the only comic book Fox movie to break that total).

No way I'd make that bet.

We shall see. The safer bet is probably $400 MM worldwide, depending on how Fox attempts to market this in the international market.

7H2DKci.png

You are correct in that only X-Men: DoFP has exceeded $400 MM in the international market. But even if they can pull off The Wolverine numbers on the same production budget, it would be a success.

R5fqgdN.png

Even the 2005 FF movie was a financial success, breaking the 2.5X barrier and leading to a sequel. But it was the lower budget that helped it get there.

What is the 2015 FF's budget?

I love how this movie is flying under the radar.

I have a funny feeling its gonna be one of those movies that people expect to be bad, but then it turns out to be awesome.

I bet FOX tries to link this movie up with the X-Franchise and make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

That`s my major point though.

It`s probably going to be a decent flick, but if it isn`t based on Jack Kirby and Stan Lee`s vision of the FF, then who cares if it`s good?

I loved Chronicle btw,so I know this new FF will be decent.

I think it`s going to be more like Phantom Menace, and many people will not like it not because it was a bad movie, but because it totally changed Jack and Stan`s vision of the FF.

Doctor Doom as a blogger?

Sorry but

lol

Right there that`s showing me they don`t get what Doom is about.

Will see though. I`ll give it chance, but I can`t remember the last time when the consensus was wrong about a super hero picture.

Here is what this version of Fantastic Four needs to do in order to achieve or exceed the 2.5X revenue ratio.

04GTTG3.png

Not even $400 MM, assuming from Fox's common budget trend with these superhero movies ($100 MM to $200 MM). If Fox invested more than $160 MM in this movie, it only makes the final box office target that much higher.

Last few Fox Comic Book movies....

Kingmen 02/13/15

Domestic: $120,562,250 36.7%

+ Foreign: $208,301,000 63.3%

TOTAL $328,863,000

Obviously not as big a name or in the same class as the FF, but a comic book related movie built on word of mouth, that featured great trailers to promote it.

X-Men: Days of Future Past 05/23/14

Domestic: $233,921,534 31.3%

+ Foreign: $514,200,000 68.7%

= Worldwide: $748,121,534

Worldwide the X-Men still are a big deal in name. Another film built with word of mouth and exceptional trailers.....

The Wolverine 07/26/13

Domestic: $132,556,852 32.0%

+ Foreign: $282,271,394 68.0%

= Worldwide: $414,828,246

Wolverine couldn't do it.... and he's a bigger deal than the FF these days...

Plus FF is an August release, and on the heels of Ant-man - if that turns out to be a hit it could really hurt the FF....

No way I'd make that bet on FF....

Good point about Wolverine. Wolverine is considered bigger than the FF.

Both by Fox . If Wolverine couldn`t do it,than why would the FF with bad buzz?

Also just taking a look at the FF`s competition we will find they`re going against the new Mission Impossible and Pixels in that time period.

Pixels actually looks more fun to go see then the new FF.