• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Actually I feel comfortable with it, as it clearly has little to do with the Fantastic Four, it just takes inspiration from it, and – all in all – I would have almost preferred all these movies to be like this.

Stan Lee seemed to take this viewpoint, while also assuming their 'superheroness' will show up over time rather than jumping right into the recognized Fantastic Four team.

STAN LEE On the FANTASTIC FOUR TRAILER & the New JOHNNY STORM

On inevitable changes that happen when a property is translated into other media:

“I have nothing against change,” Lee said. “They’ve certainly changed a lot of my characters. Thor in the comics started as a doctor who walked with a cane and yet when they changed that for the movies, it was wonderful. I have no problem with that at all.”

I don't know if this movie is going to be a hit. But from the initial trailer, it shows promise. We shall see where it lands soon enough.

I like it. If the motif is that these guys come out of the Negative Zone (or "N Zone" as it's called in Ultimate FF) as freaks, that's good.

..... my buddy says my opinion doesn't count, because I like everything (I guess I'm a movie 'ho) ...... but the Negative Zone angle has piqued my interest as well..... it would be much more believable than a group of civilians achieving extra-orbital flight ..... I'm just wishing they'd keep Doom in the background for the first movie..... maybe a slow set up to an appearance in the second film. Sony doesn't get the build up process that made the Avengers so successful, i.e. not just throwing a bunch of characters in the blender and running by the seat of your pants. You'd think Hollywood would learn that you don't have to put "Lex Luthor" in Every. Single. Movie. It's seems they want to include Doom to give the fans what they expect..... but yet they change everything the Fan ever knew. I'd say a good belt whipping to Sony's studio executives is the only thing that might work at this point.... but I think they all have bodyguards..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Poster Revealed For "Doomed: The Untold Story Of Roger Cormans The Fantastic Four

I'm sure it's no secret that this movie was really terrible. I saw it years ago when friend gave me a really bad VHS copy of it. Now I have a DVD converted from an even worse VHS copy... :pullhair:

...and Corman's FF is now referred to as the better adaptation... meh

90287.jpg

vJRjC1Q.jpg

While it looks better in the body than the foam suit that Chiklis wore in the other 2 FF movies, the color is too muted & to be honest, he looks more like Rockslide from the X-Men/Young X-Men than he does the Thing. It's all in the face.

Knowing that Trank told the actors to not read the comics to prep for the movie, maybe he just saw "oh, rock guy, must be the Thing" and was looking at a Young X-Men comic when he was working out the designs for Ben here.

The Thing doesn't look bad as far as how the rocky surface is composed, but the head is terrible.

He should have a pronounced brow-line.

Agreed on the brow line.

One of his most recognizable features, and they don't even use it? (shrug)

What happened the awesome Thing we saw a while back?

thing.jpg

How does Hollywood not just go "no, seriously, just do this. It worked in 1963 & it still looks badass now"

Doom

And that is Marvel Studios' "secret sauce" which Sony and to a lesser degree Fox just keep missing. The story boards are all there from the 60s, 70s and 80s in funny book form, waiting to be shot on film.

Marvel Studios has done the exact opposite actually. In fact, this feels very much like a Marvel Studios attempt at the FF rather than a true adaptation of the classic FF comic.

Name one Marvel Studios movie that took the original source material and ran with it? All of them have been a modern comic telling of the characters, from Iron Man (Extremis) to Thor (no Donald Blake?) to Guardians of the Galaxy (2000s reboot.)

I don't see this FF movie as being any different than any of them. Except it isn't be put out by Disney/Marvel.

I've given up hope of a movie based on any of the classic comic stories. That is fine though. But let's quit pretending one studio is doing that and all the others are not.

Poster Revealed For "Doomed: The Untold Story Of Roger Cormans The Fantastic Four

I'm sure it's no secret that this movie was really terrible. I saw it years ago when friend gave me a really bad VHS copy of it. Now I have a DVD converted from an even worse VHS copy... :pullhair:

I had a beautiful copy of this movie, I'll check and see if I still have it in storage.

I also used to have a lesser copy that had a short Rob Liefeld Youngblood cartoon promo...

The Thing doesn't look bad as far as how the rocky surface is composed, but the head is terrible.

He should have a pronounced brow-line.

Agreed on the brow line.

One of his most recognizable features, and they don't even use it? (shrug)

What happened the awesome Thing we saw a while back?

thing.jpg

It looks to me like the Thing may morph as the movie progresses just like he does in the comics. From the mud looking Thing in the early FF issues to the more rocky looking Thing we get later on.

:wishluck:

How does Hollywood not just go "no, seriously, just do this. It worked in 1963 & it still looks badass now"

Doom

And that is Marvel Studios' "secret sauce" which Sony and to a lesser degree Fox just keep missing. The story boards are all there from the 60s, 70s and 80s in funny book form, waiting to be shot on film.

Marvel Studios has done the exact opposite actually. In fact, this feels very much like a Marvel Studios attempt at the FF rather than a true adaptation of the classic FF comic.

Name one Marvel Studios movie that took the original source material and ran with it? All of them have been a modern comic telling of the characters, from Iron Man (Extremis) to Thor (no Donald Blake?) to Guardians of the Galaxy (2000s reboot.)

I don't see this FF movie as being any different than any of them. Except it isn't be put out by Disney/Marvel.

I've given up hope of a movie based on any of the classic comic stories. That is fine though. But let's quit pretending one studio is doing that and all the others are not.

Iron Man's origin was pretty much true to the source material.

Captain America's origin was pretty much true to the source material.

The Hulk varied wildly and disappointed at the box office....

Thor hasn't strayed much from who he's been for the last 35 years...

I think Marvel has done a decent job at not straying too far from the source material, and certainly not at the level THIS movie is going to. And they haven't hired actors that look like teenagers to play the main characters.

Iron Man's origin was pretty much true to the source material.

Captain America's origin was pretty much true to the source material.

The Hulk varied wildly and disappointed at the box office....

Thor hasn't strayed much from who he's been for the last 35 years...

I think Marvel has done a decent job at not straying too far from the source material, and certainly not at the level THIS movie is going to. And they haven't hired actors that look like teenagers to play the main characters.

Although Marvel Studios has achieved something that is truly amazing in the way of building out an incredible universe, Stan Lee does make a point.

STAN LEE On the FANTASTIC FOUR TRAILER & the New JOHNNY STORM

On inevitable changes that happen when a property is translated into other media:

“I have nothing against change,” Lee said. “They’ve certainly changed a lot of my characters. Thor in the comics started as a doctor who walked with a cane and yet when they changed that for the movies, it was wonderful. I have no problem with that at all.”

When it comes to delivery, though, you are right. Marvel Studios only had one big hiccup - Incredible Hulk. And that was a lesson learned, as they allowed the actor to write the -script the way he wanted to act out the role. Not the actor delivering on a well-planned and long-standing character design.

It looks to me like the Thing may morph as the movie progresses just like he does in the comics. From the mud looking Thing in the early FF issues to the more rocky looking Thing we get later on.

:wishluck:

WHOA!

ix3zUVZ.png

The transformation suggestion may be exactly what they are going for.