• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

I've read the entire Ultimate FF run. Adapting the 616 team didn't fail because it was the 616 team, it failed because they were crappy movies with no respect for the source material, poor casting and no passion for the characters.

This film doesn't excite me at all. The Fantastic Four are what got me into comics 35+ years ago and they remain my favorite of all-time. Any development of an FF movie should begin with reading the Kirby/Lee run and the John Byrne run...THEN start crafting the film based on what you've learned from all that wonderful matieral.

Well, it doesn't look horrible. But it didn't exactly give me a happy feeling in my pants either.

It probably can't be worse than the Tim Story movies though, right? Hopefully, we'll get Annihilus as the villain since they're doing the Ultimate FF & the Negative Zone... and if so, maybe Doom is a swerve & he's just kind of on the side-lines and cameo'ing? But somehow, I doubt it.

Trailer looks...interesting? I'm not convinced.

I'm hoping it does poorly so I can actually afford a copy of FF#1. Right now with the movie hype it's a bit too high for me.

Edited by calcnerd

I'm not going to judge based on what somebody says on aintitcool or Movie Poopshoot.com. Due to the fact that it's coming from Fox, movie fans kind of dump on it to begin with.

I don't care that Johnny's black, Doom's a crazy blogger, etc. If this version can sell the dysfunctional family working as a team, that'll be an upgrade from the Tim Story version, which just seemed silly. I love the Lee/Kirby FF run as much as the next guy, but I'm willing to give the movie a chance. Hopefully it delivers, at least on some levels.

I thought the trailer looked ok. The jury is out until August.

I can't get over the fact that the world's greatest mind looks like a 15 year old.

I would have preferred an older looking Reed.

And that's one of my smallest concerns........

:facepalm: The destruction of FF as we know it.

I have mixed feelings.

I agree that Reed shouldn't look like a red-cheeked 15 year old. doh!

Thing does NOT look good. Another flub on their part IMO. The Thing has the ability to be a likeable character like he was in the SA/BA and CA where he was this softhearted monster but a large part of that was that he actually looked somewhat handsome / cute in a monster kind of way.

Marvel nailed that with Groot in GOTG - Groot was their Thing replacement.

I think they missed the boat on this character based on the way he looks.

The whole Johnny being black thing doesn't bother me but I just have 40 years of Johnny and Sue being blonde siblings for me to easily forget about it.

The Negative Zone angle is neat and original and a lot more believable but I have to ask, if Marvel could do a 1940's time piece about Captain America, why on earth couldn't someone after all of these FF movies do a 1961 time piece for the FF Origin?

You get the set / costume guys from Mad Men and you just kill it with an authentic movie about the FF.

I don't know yet if I'm going to avoid this movie like the Ghost Rider flicks or not but it's not instilling any confidence in me.

I have mixed feelings.

Thing does NOT look good. Another flub on their part IMO. The Thing has the ability to be a likeable character like he was in the SA/BA and CA where he was this softhearted monster but a large part of that was that he actually looked somewhat handsome / cute in a monster kind of way.

The whole Johnny being black thing doesn't bother me but I just have 40 years of Johnny and Sue being blonde siblings for me to easily forget about it.

The Negative Zone angle is neat and original and a lot more believable but I have to ask, if Marvel could do a 1940's time piece about Captain America, why on earth couldn't someone after all of these FF movies do a 1961 time piece for the FF Origin?

You get the set / costume guys from Mad Men and you just kill it with an authentic movie about the FF.

I don't know yet if I'm going to avoid this movie like the Ghost Rider flicks or not but it's not instilling any confidence in me.

+1

I have mixed feelings.

+1

+2. This is one of those "I'll wait till it comes out on DVD movies."

Thing does NOT look good.

Why? His appearance was the only part of the teaser that impressed me.

He looks lifeless, a sort of blank stare.... the Thing has to project warmth. he isn't just a pile of organized rocks.

Yup.

You know how everyone loves Groot? That's how everyone needs to feel about Thing.

I don't think they hit it on the head with his face.

You know how everyone loves Groot? That's how everyone needs to feel about Thing.

I don't remember people loving Groot after the trailers. It wasn't until you got a full feel for him from the film.

I don't remember people loving Groot after the trailers. It wasn't until you got a full feel for him from the film.

Except the paradigm has changed. Marvel stole Fox's thunder with their monster / hero.

I'm just speaking from what my gut tells me, FF doesn't really pull me in the way GOTG did - and I hated GOTG when it was being published back in the 1970's. lol

They're very obviously aiming for a younger audience with this FF movie. They may not even characterize the Thing properly in this flick. I guess we'll see.

Except the paradigm has changed. Marvel stole Fox's thunder with their monster / hero.

I'm just speaking from what my gut tells me, FF doesn't really pull me in the way GOTG did - and I hated GOTG when it was being published back in the 1970's. lol

They're very obviously aiming for a younger audience with this FF movie. They may not even characterize the Thing properly in this flick. I guess we'll see.

Honestly, it reminds me of the new TMNT movie. That looks like the audience they are aiming for.

Thing= Raphael.