• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Many CGC PLOD's Do You Own?

70 posts in this topic

One....and it's an AF15.

And yes, I did buy it as a CGC PLOD.

I think PLODS can be a good way to obtain nice books with good eye appeal at an

affordable price. I would tend to limit them to professional restorations with slight work

though. thumbsup2.gif

(BTW, FFB...I haven't forgotten about your scan hi.gif...just been very busy)

I have 3:

Adventure 300 VF 8.0 (slight P) bought raw as a VF/NM 20 years ago. mad.gif

Startling 47 FN 6.0 (slight P)

Meet Corliss Archer 1 F/VF 7.0 (slight P)

I am always happy to buy a slightly restored book for 1/3 of the unrestored value. In the case of the Startling it has reinforcement at the staples. The Corliss Archer has 4 or 5 areas of black touch along the spine--I think if the black marks were anywhere but where they are it would be a Universal 6.0.

I have a Startling #47 as well, but it's only a CGC 4.5 (Universal)

Oops, I just checked and it's a Startling 46 I have (with the great Ingels cover) as opposed to 47 (with the great Schomburg cover) blush.gif

I have a single book bought as a CGC PLOD: All-American Comics #15, now Mylared. Always looking for a PLOD More-Fun Comics pre-100 or a Sandman or Starman Adventure Comics PLOD. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

572841-aa15.JPG

I just got a GA book from CGC that got the universal label, but the notes says "tiny amount of glue on spine." Not that I'm complaining, but just out of curiosity's sake, why wouldn't this tiny amount of glue count as restoration work? And, as buyers, would you avoid purchasing a book with this kind of notation as if it were a PLOD?

I just got a GA book from CGC that got the universal label, but the notes says "tiny amount of glue on spine." Not that I'm complaining, but just out of curiosity's sake, why wouldn't this tiny amount of glue count as restoration work? And, as buyers, would you avoid purchasing a book with this kind of notation as if it were a PLOD?

Yes, I would avoid it.

Not saying you shouldn't own / enjoy the book, but to me the notation is what counts, not the color of the label.

Of course with a "tiny amount of glue on spine" its possible that it could be removed with no downgrading of the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

at the moment I only own 9 slabs. of those only 1 is a PLOD. It is a 4color 386 ( the first Uncle Scrooge ). of course I would have at least a couple dozen books that would get a PLOD if I submitted them. If I had a spare 20k I should submit about 500 books. I fear that I would find quite a few more PLODs that I did not know had been restored.

Those EC's are sweet Lantern. Here's my one PLOD..."small amount of glue on spine". It was one of my first submissions, on my coupon. Bought it raw on Ebay. I'm keeping it for now. Love the cover.

asm62slab.jpg

I have had quite a few PLODs, all were subbed by me, although I should have screened them more carefully. The books weren't disclosed to me as restored, although some were pretty obvious. I've also sold several GA Batmans which came back as PLODs. Here's what I currently have:

ASM 50 CGC 9.4 (slight CT)

BB 28 CGC 6.0 (Trimmed, CT, tear seals) frustrated.gif

TOS 63 CGC 8.0 (Trimmed) Christo_pull_hair.gif

Batman 48 CGC 5.5 (slight CT)

Batman 52 CGC 5.0 (CT, glue)

Of these, I wouldn't mind selling the Tales of Suspense. I draw the line at trimmed books. I have absolutely on problem with PLODs or restoration, but it has to be disclosed. The Brave and Bold #28 went from the cornerstone of my collection to my biggest rip-off. If I sold it now, I might be able to get my money back, and I've owned the book for 15 years.

wow - i have more than most folks apparently.

i've purchased a number of Key books that were plods like, Showcase #4, all-america # 19 (1st atom), detective #33, Marvel mystery #4, and some others like flash #1, all-star #3, Torch #3 (#2), etc that haven't been plodded yet. i also have a handful of purchases that came back purple.

probably a dozen in all, that i'm aware of. the ones i bought knowingly are among my prize posessions........... cloud9.gif

here's a Beauty;

1098589574467_flash__1.jpg

Of course with a "tiny amount of glue on spine" its possible that it could be removed with no downgrading of the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Per CGC, that's exactly what that notation, on a Blue-label book, indicates... that removing the glue would not adversely affect the grade of the book. If removing the 'tiny amount of glue' in question would cause the cover to no longer be attached at a staple, for example, that book would have rec'd a PLOD, like my All-Flash # 4.