• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
26 26

7,921 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2022 at 7:18 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Finally, a real nice copy of one of the tougher silver spine Pocket SciFi pbs about nothing other than an Asiatic virus that destroys the Earth's food supply chain. Cover by Tom Dunn.

20220427_190216.thumb.jpg.d0e53f92fcb20b6adcb02ecec1f488ca.jpg

This novel was made into an interesting if somewhat obscure film in 1970 directed by Cornel Wilde.  I don't know how closely it follows the book, but the movie, at any rate, seemed to owe a bit of its inspiration to Panic in Year Zero made 8 years earlier.

This is not a paperback, but is a pamphlet advertising Atomic Bomb-proof storage for business records etc! Apparently the company acquired an abandoned Railroad Tunnel Near Santa Cruz California and installed a vault. The pamphlet seemed mostly aimed at businesses who wanted their business records to survive an Atomic War! In the vault in the tunnel they would!

Not a rack paperback, but I like this sort of illustrated wacky paper ephemera and it was in the same bag as ATOMIC!

IMG_2742.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

On 5/3/2022 at 10:51 PM, Book Guy said:

Something that turned up while cleaning. This is a reprint of an earlier Sci-Fi Novel with an 'Atomic' theme published late in 1945 to cash in on the August dropping of the 2 A Bombs on Japan and the following public fascination for all things Atomic. Note the Nov, 1945 date penciled on the cover. First Atomic Bomb illustration on a Book Cover / Paperback cover? It seems in the running. The publisher BONDED is listed as Bonded Charteris on the title page. The inside rear cover has adverts for a bunch of SAINT Novels so I guess the Charteris makes sense in the respect that Leslie Charteris was the Author of the 'Saint' Novels.

I assume it is New York City being destroyed!

IMG_2741.JPG

The Bonded/Chartered digests were always pretty scarce and considered desirable. Paul Cain's Seven Slayers had its 1st Edition in those numbers. They are quite frail and tough to find in nice shape. Your copy is nicer than most I've seen.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:35 PM, Book Guy said:

I assume all the Holts State First Printing or something like that. Not true? Not meaning to open up a can of worms!

Truly :canofworms:     It varies, which is why I think a checklist is needed. The HRW hardcovers like these state first edition inside with no printing state information and the dust jacket has to have a printing date code stamped at the bottom of the front dj flap.

The paperbacks started at Rinehart before the merger, and the marks are different there than at Holt, Rinehart, Winston post-merger, and the hardcovers have these several points to verify (they had later printings and Book Club Editions, which are plentiful). It is amazing to me that no one has codified this information on such a popular series but there it is. The misinformation is rampant as I've seen all kinds of wrong listings on ebay and ABE. I have figured most of it out from references from very reputable booksellers, general first edition point articles I've read and looking at, probably, thousands of Rinehart and HRW Peanuts books over the last 5 years. I have tried to *politely* correct some egregiously wrong sellers in the past and had some *interesting* responses. Most people have been politely accepting of knowledge but I guess others would rather be wrong than right if they can hook an unsuspecting buyer, which I was at one time.

My love for my daughter's love of these books led me to try to collect a complete set of 1st edition, 1st prints to bequeath her, which set me in search of the truth of the matters, which trumps the sale dollar in my book.