• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,945 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2022 at 4:06 PM, Number 6 said:

Kind of off-topic but, without giving up any “trade secrets”, what book(s) would you guys recommend for information on collecting vintage paperbacks?

I know that sounds like kind of a dumb question, but I’m up on the books I’m actively searching for, like John Wyndham firsts. 

But there’s times when I’m searching for stuff and I’ll see something that’s not in my focus but seems like it might be something worthwhile…but I just don’t know. I would like to get a more rounded-out knowledge of paperbacks beyond just the sci-fi stuff I usually look for. 

There’s been a couple of books that have popped up as suggestions when I’m doing searches on Amazon for other things so thought I would ask here. 

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Excellent as a quick reference, but heavily SF, unfortunately. 

Edited by OtherEric

On 4/16/2022 at 6:19 PM, OtherEric said:
On 4/16/2022 at 6:06 PM, Number 6 said:

Kind of off-topic but, without giving up any “trade secrets”, what book(s) would you guys recommend for information on collecting vintage paperbacks?

I know that sounds like kind of a dumb question, but I’m up on the books I’m actively searching for, like John Wyndham firsts. 

But there’s times when I’m searching for stuff and I’ll see something that’s not in my focus but seems like it might be something worthwhile…but I just don’t know. I would like to get a more rounded-out knowledge of paperbacks beyond just the sci-fi stuff I usually look for. 

There’s been a couple of books that have popped up as suggestions when I’m doing searches on Amazon for other things so thought I would ask here. 

Expand  

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Excellent as a quick reference, but heavily SF, unfortunately. 

It is tough as there are many good sources but most are specific to genre.  Gary Lovisi's YouTube videos are excellent as is this book he put together on crime and bad girl books:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GXQXB6/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

51-5SnnDytL.jpg.60c27dd737d40f9de9e35c9acb9aea08.jpg

On 4/16/2022 at 7:51 PM, Number 6 said:

Have that one in my bookmarks on my desktop computer. :wink:  Great resource!

The Bookscans Database has scans of virtually every vintage paperback up until 1980. It has limitations as the scans are low res and he unfortunately missed an incredible opportunity by not including artist credits, but it is still an incredible resource.

http://www.bookscans.com/Database.htm

There are lots of great research articles attached to the site as well if you dig around in there.

The other best resource for me is Jon Warrens Official Price Guide Paperback guide from 1991. Prices are dated but it is probably the most comprehensive printed guide and still shows a fair amount of relative desirability in the pricing structures. Long out of print but you can find it.

Here's my well thumbed copy...

20220416_202801.thumb.jpg.7363416c4c50a4a654d60f4b41094620.jpg

On 4/18/2022 at 11:58 PM, OtherEric said:

You talked me into it, by the way... although this is the later edition, which I think is missing one story from the earlier version.  In today:

Avon_420.jpg

Avon_420_bc.jpg

Nice copy. Cover art attributed to Harley Wood for the original #130 edition in the copyright office. 

This is one of the many examples of Avon re-using the earlier, comic-bookish art when re-printing a title during a time when they were employing a much slicker cover art style on their new releases.

It's an excellent cover anyway but must've stood out on the rack against all the darker artwork happening at the time.

I can't find any other covers by Wood in a casual search so this was probably not his main gig.

On 4/19/2022 at 11:12 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Found two amazing Pennsylvania Railroad posters by Harley Wood - they have the same very narrow signature that appears on the Avon cover (so thin I didn't even notice it until looking very closely). Incredible detail on the New York poster and a really nice muted palette on the Philadelphia poster. So this guy did advertising art like many others of his time. With three works to compare to, it might be possible to pick out any other Avon covers he may have done.

Those are supremely well done. Thanks for posting them! (thumbsu

On 4/20/2022 at 2:28 PM, PopKulture said:

Those are supremely well done. Thanks for posting them! (thumbsu

It's amazing that he's a complete unknown. So many of these guys who were "commercial" illustrators in the 40's and 50's were phenomenally talented but their stories are untold if they weren't self promoting. 

Every once in a while you get lucky and no one shows up for a killer book at auction, which is why I pretty much only sell vintage pb's as BIN. I've gotten $50-75 for creased mid-grade copies of this first print. This has no creases and may be better than my current keeper. :headbang:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154943989245?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=EUlrarRsTB2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XwvppebcTg6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by Surfing Alien

And another from the same seller. The Ace Asimovs are cool but pretty common, I have minty copies of the Ace doubles. The Digit Second Foundation however is harder to find and tough to find in nice shape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154944023271?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=EUlrarRsTB2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XwvppebcTg6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 4/21/2022 at 8:07 PM, Surfing Alien said:

And another from the same seller. The Ace Asimovs are cool but pretty common, I have minty copies of the Ace doubles. The Digit Second Foundation however is harder to find and tough to find in nice shape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154944023271?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=EUlrarRsTB2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XwvppebcTg6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

What a deal. The 3 books sold for 99 cents.

For anyone looking for Endore's "Werewolf of Paris", published by Avon in 1951, there are currently 3 copies on the Abe Books site, and one of them is listed for only $18. The description states very good, but the book pictured looks better than that.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bx=off&cm_sp=SearchF-_-Advs-_-Result&ds=30&pn=avon&recentlyadded=all&rollup=on&sortby=17&sts=t&tn=Werewolf of Paris&xdesc=off&xpod=off&yrh=1956&yrl=1950

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 4/25/2022 at 8:24 PM, Surfing Alien said:

A truly amusing newly indexed Ray Johnson cover.

When you've co-indexed over 500 of an artists pb covers and come across one none of your compatriots has recognized and then look closely and realize she is giving both middle fingers to the world it brings joy lol

It is obviously done in an exaggeration of the elongated McGinnis style, which is why I wouldn't even look closer at first glance, but I saw his signature peeking up at the bottom, then looked closer at the face, which resembles his Reformatory Girls cover for Ace.

I wonder whether the FU is from the story or Johnson telling the art director at Ace what he thought of the trend hm lol

Regardless, I think every human has felt this emotion at some point in life so it is a joyous image to see on a mainstream pb line :cloud9:

Not to rain on any joy of discovery, but judging by the position of her thumbs, I suspect she is "snapping her fingers".

Though "flipping the bird" had been around a long time, it appears it did not become popularly well-known in America until the late 60s or early 70s.  However, snapping one's fingers was a very popular device at the time especially in Beatnik music and dance (if I recall it's part of an Audrey Hepburn dance in Funny Face).  It's even a significant part of the Addams Family theme in 1964. 

On 4/26/2022 at 11:42 AM, Bookery said:

Not to rain on any joy of discovery, but judging by the position of her thumbs, I suspect she is "snapping her fingers".

Though "flipping the bird" had been around a long time, it appears it did not become popularly well-known in America until the late 60s or early 70s.  However, snapping one's fingers was a very popular device at the time especially in Beatnik music and dance (if I recall it's part of an Audrey Hepburn dance in Funny Face).  It's even a significant part of the Addams Family theme in 1964. 

True, I didn't even think of that, which shows what a sick mind I havelol But now that I've seen it as the bird I can't unsee it lol.

On 4/26/2022 at 5:44 PM, Surfing Alien said:

True, I didn't even think of that, which shows what a sick mind I havelol But now that I've seen it as the bird I can't unsee it lol.

Well... it's always possible the artist knew it could be taken both ways... but had an easy explanation for his editor if asked...

On 4/27/2022 at 9:40 AM, Bookery said:

Well... it's always possible the artist knew it could be taken both ways... but had an easy explanation for his editor if asked...

It's funny after you mentioned the finger snapping, all I could think about was the song "Cool" from West Side Story, which was released the year before this book, and all the Jets snapping their fingers...