• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,958 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2022 at 9:26 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Thanks. I agree this cover stands out compared to others in the Avon series. (thumbsu

13 and 16 are probably my favorites (and hardest to find, probably for the same reasons - 13 is "test-tube" babes and 16 is nekkid & a Bloch cover story), then a tie between 5, 6, 7 & 14. But they are all cool in their own ways.

On 4/15/2022 at 6:50 PM, frozentundraguy said:

One last PB to share from last weekend. It's one of many written by Fearn under his pseudonym Gridban. I spotted this in the semi-wild at the Dreamhaven book store. While not in great shape it saved me a lot in the sometimes exorbitant shipping charges that U.K. sellers love to use. A check inside shows this book once resided in the half-price Popular Books Store in London.

scan0859.jpg

Moonsforsale_popclub.jpeg

I used to hate store stamps like that, now I tend to love them as a way to track the history of the book, as long as they're not obtrusive.  Not fond of most Bonnets books stamps still.

On 4/16/2022 at 10:30 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Do you mind sharing what it sold for?  Just curious.  If not, no worries.

No reason to be a secret.  I had them out on display in the store a few years back, and no one was interested, so I put them back in storage.  Then a dealer remembered them and decided he was interested.  They still had the same price on them they did earlier, so sold for $1500.  The dealer doesn't normally deal in paperbacks, so presumably he has a client he can flip them to for whatever margin above that he gets.

Kind of off-topic but, without giving up any “trade secrets”, what book(s) would you guys recommend for information on collecting vintage paperbacks?

I know that sounds like kind of a dumb question, but I’m up on the books I’m actively searching for, like John Wyndham firsts. 

But there’s times when I’m searching for stuff and I’ll see something that’s not in my focus but seems like it might be something worthwhile…but I just don’t know. I would like to get a more rounded-out knowledge of paperbacks beyond just the sci-fi stuff I usually look for. 

There’s been a couple of books that have popped up as suggestions when I’m doing searches on Amazon for other things so thought I would ask here.