• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,946 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2022 at 10:06 AM, Blorgon scum said:

The cover for The Wood Beyond The World looks like Gervasio Gallardo's artwork.  He really did some nice covers for the series.

BAF Dunsany Morris.jpg

BAF MD.jpg

That version of "The King of Elfland's Daughter" was my first taste of Dunsany.

The Ballantine Lovecrafts were my initiation into his ouvre after being exposed through Marvel comics adaptations and I probably picked up the Dunsany book after reading that Lovecraft blurb on the back.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:31 PM, Surfing Alien said:

That version of "The King of Elfland's Daughter" was my first taste of Dunsany.

The Ballantine Lovecrafts were my initiation into his ouvre after being exposed through Marvel comics adaptations and I probably picked up the Dunsany book after reading that Lovecraft blurb on the back.

I started by looking for fantasy books after finishing Lord of The Rings. I read Lin Carter's book Tolkien:  A Look Behind The LOTR.  It helped me in my search for other authors to read.  So the Ballantine series sent me on my path.

On 6/1/2022 at 6:35 PM, Blorgon scum said:

I started by looking for fantasy books after finishing Lord of The Rings. I read Lin Carter's book Tolkien:  A Look Behind The LOTR.  It helped me in my search for other authors to read.  So the Ballantine series sent me on my path.

I'd have to rub my brain cells hard and fast to figure if I read The Hobbit before I was exposed to Marvel Conan comics and the subsequent Weird Tales author adaptations in their comics and mags but i'm betting on the latter... all around 1976-78

On 6/3/2022 at 8:43 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

I just finished my Fantasy Reader set and got SF Reader 1 & 2 ( already had 3) as an encore. When #2 came in the other day I read the cover yarn, and -wow- it is a superb novelette, 'Priestess of the Flame' by Sewell Peaslee Wright, from Astounding June 1932. It is one of ten 'Space Patrol' series yarns that Wright published in Astounding 1930-1933. Wollheim has another of his in SF Reader 1 and yet another in Fantasy Reader 13. 'Flame' is the masterpiece of the series, but I'm on my fifth of the ten (found a couple online): 'The Dark Side of Antri' in SF Reader 1, and all are colorful, exciting, well-written and plotted tales. The June '32 Wesso splash was found online. My theory is that the two Avon series ended when Wollheim took the offer to become PB editor at Ace

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?23085

According to the isfdb, that"s exactly what happened.  They merged into one title under a new editor and then promptly ended after two issues, despite... or perhaps because... they switched to all new stories.

A few nice ones in the mail today

A super scarce Rainbow Digest. That's George Gross' signature hiding under the colophon. Love his color palette on this one

20220606_143609.thumb.jpg.68003bd8dc5a038e252ba73c9c125326.jpg

Two by Barye Phillips, "The King of Paperback Artists" as he was known back in the day. McGinnis has probably de-throned him on volume but it took him 50 years to do what Phillips did in 20. 

One for my "_______ Girl" collection

20220606_144719.thumb.jpg.79e290a0d2d9ce02b8b69518760b202d.jpg

And an Avon I've never seen before

20220606_144701.thumb.jpg.86675f67be9b2927c7b38b927b7ec03a.jpg

On 6/7/2022 at 12:00 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Took me a couple of years to get these Avon Fantasy and Science Fiction Readers in nice shape but now I have them all. :whee:@OtherEric get with it man! You're almost there!:baiting:

They do look nice all together! Here's my copies with my artist commentary. I'm pretty sure if I search forever, we'll find that 3, 4 & 5 also have swipes from older pulps

#3 Artist unknown - in the style of A.R. Tilburne              #4 Artist unknown - in the style of A.R. Tilburne

20220607_122742.thumb.jpg.044e984f78c86206b77accd4e9f03bd9.jpg

Isfdb credits the #3 to Hannes Bok.  Which I can see as possible.

I’m working on the run, may get one next paycheck.