• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,166 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2024 at 5:42 PM, Darwination said:

I'm always curious what the etiquette on this is.  I feel kind of funny doing it.  At the same time I feel funny looking up values in-store.  And then there's the fact that I'll check comics against the scanner's wantlist, too.

I tend to just take a very quick picture and looking up later even though I don't think any of it does any harm.  Same thing with records since sometimes it's nice to listen to an album I'm curious about before buying.  I'll usually walk out of a good used record store with a stack of four or five but 10 or 20 pictures of albums to check out.

It very much depends on the store, I would think.  Checking a wantlist is 100%, every time, acceptable, and if they don't like you verifying if you have a book to hell with them.

Looking up values is a little bit more debatable, I would say it depends on your relationship with the store.  But in most cases it would be OK, the only time I would feel even slightly guilty is checking a book that I wouldn't buy otherwise to see if I could flip it.  And even then, that's a personal choice, not necessarily something wrong to do.

On 5/3/2024 at 7:39 PM, waaaghboss said:

Just lucky with a bookstore, owner said he picked these up a while ago and is losing money since no one is buying them.

If you dont mind me asking, are any of these worth grabbing?  Was planning to check ebay once I get in front of a desktop but figure you guys are more knowledgeable. 

20240503_121748.thumb.jpg.07d6653d409b66406caf3941df1cb3fb.jpg

20240503_121922.thumb.jpg.8a38c5b34a31993bf1026d461475dd5c.jpg

Yeah, I'm with Lowell. I don't even collect those books and I would have not left the store without buying every one of them.

On 5/4/2024 at 7:41 AM, alecholland said:

Yeah, I'm with Lowell. I don't even collect those books and I would have not left the store without buying every one of them.

@waaaghboss

I don't know how many are there, but you might walk in there with a Franklin and walk out @$4 per. Don't be shy. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Unboxing, cleaning, and scanning a bunch of new ones tonight, and I ran into this for the first time.  There's no worries or anything, as it is a 4 dollar beater, but what's with thus black glue? Original? Black? o.O

20240504_222312.thumb.jpg.e4ce8333ded7e2832a43b8fb2c2f304e.jpg

I am a stranger in a strange land -

On 5/4/2024 at 11:27 PM, Darwination said:

Unboxing, cleaning, and scanning a bunch of new ones tonight, and I ran into this for the first time.  There's no worries or anything, as it is a 4 dollar beater, but what's with thus black glue? Original? Black? o.O

20240504_222312.thumb.jpg.e4ce8333ded7e2832a43b8fb2c2f304e.jpg

I am a stranger in a strange land -

Original. Common aging effect on the glue