• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,935 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

This is what I get for buying a cheap book without a picture.  Still, a stated 1st pocket printing that will do nicely as a reader/ filler copy:

image.jpg

That's a pretty nice filler book. There's quite a few of these early Pocket Books that have iconic covers, and this is one of them. (thumbsu

An interesting bit of history there S.A., not too mention some insight on how the publishing world of 70 some years ago functioned. I imagine the $300 advance for publishing a book was a fair amount of money back then. Finally the gold Avon logo in the first letter is quite impressive. (thumbsu

7 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

There was such pride in printers work back then -

Yep, I spend endless hours marveling at how beautiful things were once upon a time.

Edit: I tried posting some links to some random ephemera, but the images will not appear. It just shows a link to my photo-hosting site, ipernity. Is BBCode no longer supported here? Or might it be on the hosting side? Both services have undergone changes recently, so I can easily imagine either case.  :sorry:

Edited by PopKulture
photo links

17 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Yep, I spend endless hours marveling at how beautiful things were once upon a time.

Edit: I tried posting some links to some random ephemera, but the images will not appear. It just shows a link to my photo-hosting site, ipernity. Is BBCode no longer supported here? Or might it be on the hosting side? Both services have undergone changes recently, so I can easily imagine either case.  :sorry:

We know you have some beautiful printed matter PopKulture!  I found that the photo-hosting sites almost always ended up letting me down long term so I just rely on my phone lately. 

7 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

We know you have some beautiful printed matter PopKulture!  I found that the photo-hosting sites almost always ended up letting me down long term so I just rely on my phone lately. 

Thanks for the kind words.  :shy:

You're right about the photo-hosting sites letting you down: flickr got me once, ipernity has me on the ropes now, and photobucket has wreaked havoc enough here on the Boards. So, yes, it seems it's just a matter of time...

Many of my books are regrettably inaccessible at a moment's whim, but luckily I have scans of a few hundred random offerings. I love pouring over the Bookscans database and checking out pictures of books I don't have, but there's something fulfilling about knowing it's your own copy (at least to a greedy little hoarder like myself).

If anyone cares to have a look, here's a link. There are a lot of digests mixed in and a few oddballs that fly mostly under-the-radar. 

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/305029/album/431155

Happy collecting!!