• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,937 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

The title story from "The Survivor" was first published in this issue of Weird Tales, the only story from the collection I've read:

Weird_Tales_1954_07.jpg

Nice copy 👍 Those Ballantine Lovecraft collections were the ones that enthralled me as a teenager (after learning about him from Marvel S & S comics 😁) and I still have a couple of my originals 

1 minute ago, Surfing Alien said:

Nice copy 👍 Those Ballantine Lovecraft collections were the ones that enthralled me as a teenager (after learning about him from Marvel S & S comics 😁) and I still have a couple of my originals 

Just don't mistake The Survivor for being actual Lovecraft, Derleth was very prone to exaggerating how much he took from Lovecraft.  The novel "The Lurker at the Threshold" has all of 1200 words of Lovecraft in a 50,000 word story.  Not necessarily bad stuff, as long as it's correctly attributed.

I should have shared pictures of my Pinnacle Solar Pons books by Derleth before I sold them off.  (I upgraded to the original hardcovers from Mycroft & Moran, an imprint of Arkham House.)

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

From the local store today.  Always great to add a Frazetta cover to the collection:

image.jpg

Authored by a noted sci-fi author from the pulp era who also wrote many comic book stories.  His wife, Leigh Brackett, was the frequent collaborator of Howard Hawks, supplying many screenplays.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:02 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Happy to finally land a copy of one of Ray Johnson's priciest covers. Oh, the author is Jim Thompson :bigsmile: It's a swell looking cover and a bit frayed on the corners so i'm looking forward to reading it as I never had this one before. Love the extra painting on the back of the Popular Librarys of this period 👍

20210305_230002.thumb.jpg.fb1b0262240f55308e8d409dc8666c24.jpg

20210305_230034.thumb.jpg.45b303660cc287d58c60856fccac82ac.jpg

I love the "girl in the car" covers.  I've considered collecting them as a sub-genre.  Something extra alluring about them.