• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,937 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

I tried and couldn't get into it. Just not my cup of tea. I still had and want to re-acquire Junkie but for the graphics & as a cultural artifact, as you said.

It's really an irresistible artifact! I don't have one, and I've seen very few over the years, even at nosebleed prices. I think it's the sort of book that disappears into collections and stays there long-term. The last one I held was at a postcard show. The dealer wanted $400, and I can't see myself ever paying near that. Honestly, for that kind of money, I want a Marvel Mystery Comics! My price paradigm will be forever stuck in the 1980's I guess.  :whistle:

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I believe that's a true first, later editions had a map added.

http://www.bookscans.com/Oddities/mapback.htm

Bookscans is an incredible labor of love and a staggering resource. Helping a group of people myself right now just to document one artist, it's mind boggling to think of what Bruce Black has done there.

2 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Picked up a couple of Shadow PB's recently, been pretty busy acquiring comic books of late.

scan0473.jpg

Love the Steranko Shadow covers.  If I ever get my storage unit sorted I'll scan and post all my Shadow Paperbacks... I've got all 9 of the Belmont originals, the 7 Bantam reprints, and the 27 Pyramid/Jove books with Steranko covers, including the 4 with the variant art reprints.  And the Tempo Grove of Doom.

It's a fun set of mini-runs to put together.  Trying to find the Variant Steranko books is tricky because so many sellers just say Steranko cover and don't show a picture.

On 2/7/2021 at 1:01 PM, Surfing Alien said:

It's funny because the later British edition, known as "The Digit Junkie", probably is the most valuable and rare paperback. Because of it's being recalled and ordered destroyed by the British Authorities shortly after publication for the back cover of the girl injecting the needle into her exposed, gartered, thigh, which was just too sleazy for them to take (Not my copy :cry: )

390066881_DigitJunkieF.jpg.159ceeb3be7cbf0e66a312a0da596521.jpg

1058417717_DigitJunkieB.jpg.0f9fffecffcceb8464a249a7b90e99f6.jpg

Cool! I thought Love Addict was the only thigh injection out there.  Wonder if there are more?

7169yyWNJ+L.jpg

Edited by Westy Steve