• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,936 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, frozentundraguy said:

Another book just came in. I ordered it two weeks ago. Into Plutonian Depths has another of the great covers for early Avon books. No artist is credited. Does anyone know who the cover artist might have been?

scan0502.jpg

I've got this crazy theory that Wally Wood might have had a hand in a couple of the Avon SF covers around then.  This mostly stems from the Earth Man on Venus cover; he drew the comic book version that came out around this time for the same publisher.  And the "Lost Scientist" on the back cover looks a LOT like Wood's work to me.  If he did that, he may have done at least some work on the front cover, and if he was involved on Avon 285 he could have been involved on Avon 281 as well.  At this point I'm not just out on a limb, I'm suspended in mid-air with the Bugs Bunny calling my attention to gravity... but I can't shake the impression.

Avon_285.jpg

Avon_285_bc.jpg

22 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Another book just came in. I ordered it two weeks ago. Into Plutonian Depths has another of the great covers for early Avon books. No artist is credited. Does anyone know who the cover artist might have been?

scan0502.jpg

R. Crowl is who is listed on the copyright information submitted by Avon. He is also credited with the covers of Avon Fantasy Reader 14 & 16 and the Avon Science Fiction Reader No. 1. The full name is likely Robert Crowl, even less personal information is known on this painter than Ray Johnson but he painted in a somewhat similar style with cruder shading. There is a known New York artist with this name but I haven't seen anything like this commercial art in the things available to see, much more simplistic stuff. He painted a famous mural of New York classical theater personalities on a bar wall in New York but they're nothing like these beautiful fantasy works for Avon.

Of course, the copyright office credits could be wrong  as we've discovered they are in several instances already. Those entries were submitted by scriveners who were subject to errors and omissions.

Edited by Surfing Alien

3 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

@Surfing Alien, You have far better arguments than I have; as I said I was wildly speculating... although I think my first couple of steps weren't totally out there.

@Pat Calhoun, The ISFDB has that cover as 1958, not what I would call "early 50's".  But now that I know about them I would love to get those Galaxy Novels with the Wood covers.

Here's a Wood cover for Galaxy magazine from the same period, I know I've shown it before but no clue what thread I included it in:

00.jpg

Yes, that's one of the small format Galaxys from the 58/59. A beaut but not early 50's. I think Wood did do one or 2 rare digests for Gaines/EC that might've been earlier? Now if you could find me some evidence that "R. Crowl" was a pseud for Wood (or Johnson for that matter!) i'd be intrigued! Either one of them was capable of painting those style paintings if the pay was right (another fun thing to remember when you're dealing with guys who were good draftsmen, regardless of the subject 👍)

6 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

did you read this one...good story?, great cover

As @Pat Calhoun noted, it won the 1955 Hugo Award. I agree with many critics that maybe it wasn't the best story of the year but it was very well written, he was a newcomer and it had an impact in Astounding, which says a lot. I like that cover as well... classic Wood machinery...

5 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Just in today a first edition (Sept. 1945) of The High Window. Due to the similar covers I checked to see if the cover artist for this book was the same one who drew Farewell My Lovely.  Alas it was not so. Farewell has Hoffman as the artist. For Window the artist is E. Mcknight Kauffer, at least according to Jon Warren in his official guide to Paperbacks.  I'm going to see what else this book seller has to offer, as he had this book graded as very good.

scan0504.jpg

Beautiful. It sure looks like Hoffman, but i've learned that no one could possibly paint all of a publishers covers (except, possiby, Robert Bonfils!) so their art directors hired other guys to paint in the style of their best selling book covers 👍

It's easy for us now to think of covers purely artistically but this was mostly piece work designed to sell, sell, sell at the moment of publication. Which is also another reason why so few original artworks have survived. In the 1940's and 50's they were mostly thrown in the trash 😪

56 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

As @Pat Calhoun noted, it won the 1955 Hugo Award. I agree with many critics that maybe it wasn't the best story of the year but it was very well written, he was a newcomer and it had an impact in Astounding, which says a lot. I like that cover as well... classic Wood machinery...

It's generally regarded as the worst Hugo Award winner for Best Novel ever, in my experience.  I haven't read it, but probably should given its reputation.  I've got at least the first two parts in Astounding for sure.

1 hour ago, frozentundraguy said:

Just in today a first edition (Sept. 1945) of The High Window. Due to the similar covers I checked to see if the cover artist for this book was the same one who drew Farewell My Lovely.  Alas it was not so. Farewell has Hoffman as the artist. For Window the artist is E. Mcknight Kauffer, at least according to Jon Warren in his official guide to Paperbacks.  I'm going to see what else this book seller has to offer, as he had this book graded as very good.

scan0504.jpg

The signature in the corner looks like it could be E McK K.

Much nicer than my copy!

45 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

It's generally regarded as the worst Hugo Award winner for Best Novel ever, in my experience.  I haven't read it, but probably should given its reputation.  I've got at least the first two parts in Astounding for sure.

It's so funny... all of the people who panned this book 65 years ago in favor of their fanboy favorites ... and generally considered this so bad, never read it and never will 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I really liked it. YMMV. 

14 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

In today.  In fact, a brand new book released today.  But I figure it’s worth occasionally mentioning I love Hard Case Crime’s retro sensibility, and I think it’s fun that Stephen King also likes it, enough that he’s done three paperback originals with them:

image.jpg

Love that they're doing this. The look is great vintage. That's 60 years of pbs in 2 posts 🤘