• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,936 posts in this topic

Quick question on a Taboo subject:  

This just popped up on Ebay for the cost of a new book, and I snagged it as soon as I saw it.  I have Amy Harris' spanking cover and wanted this one.

My question is...is there anything I can do about the dirt/staining/(whatever that is) on the cover?  I know most comic book restorers use dry eraser method, but it looks like it would benefit from some kind of liquid solvent "dry" cleaning.  But maybe I'm wrong.  I understand book doctoring might be frowned upon, but it's very distracting (which is amazing considering the subject matter).

counter girl.jpg

Edited by Westy Steve

OK, sorry for so many posts, but has anyone ever seen this?   This is a REPRINT.  But it's not the usual reprint that I've seen and it's signed. Any idea of value?  I just bought it so I could read it.

tramp1.jpg

(edit).  Oops.  I posted a picture of the signature page, but then noticed there was some overt nudity on it so I deleted it

Edited by Westy Steve

12 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Quick question on a Taboo subject:  

This just popped up on Ebay for the cost of a new book, and I snagged it as soon as I saw it.  I have Amy Harris' spanking cover and wanted this one.

My question is...is there anything I can do about the dirt/staining/(whatever that is) on the cover?  I know most comic book restorers use dry eraser method, but it looks like it would benefit from some kind of liquid solvent "dry" cleaning.  But maybe I'm wrong.  I understand book doctoring might be frowned upon, but it's very distracting (which is amazing considering the subject matter).

counter girl.jpg

Don't think dry eraser will help that at all. I've thought about sending a few books to Hero Restorations to see what can be done for various problems. He agreed to look at them but I've never gotten around to it. You can certainly inquire. I don't think it's taboo as long as its disclosed if you sell it.

11 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

OK, sorry for so many posts, but has anyone ever seen this?   This is a REPRINT.  But it's not the usual reprint that I've seen and it's signed. Any idea of value?  I just bought it so I could read it.

tramp1.jpg

(edit).  Oops.  I posted a picture of the signature page, but then noticed there was some overt nudity on it so I deleted it

Is that the same one you posted some time ago? I thought it was an original Nightstand iirc?

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

Is that the same one you posted some time ago? I thought it was an original Nightstand iirc?

Hey, no.  It's a 2010 reprint.  Since i posted this, I found one for sale.  Apparently they were sold with Block's autograph.  The one I found was $40.  Don't know whether that's high or low.  Interestingly, the same guy who wrote the forward for this version also "authored" a second cover variant that doesn't have the original art.  Makes me wonder if they got in trouble for trying to use the old art without permission....because...why would you use anything else?

FYI:  I still have the vintage version...I haven't read it, but I'll read this one.

Edited by Westy Steve

Couldn't locate the pulp thread, but this should be of interest to many who participate in this thread. I found this 30 minute discussion by Isaac Asimov, from the early 70's where he discusses the advances in science fiction since 1938, with a strong emphasis on the pulp magazines of the era.

12 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Couldn't locate the pulp thread, but this should be of interest to many who participate in this thread. I found this 30 minute discussion by Isaac Asimov, from the early 70's where he discusses the advances in science fiction since 1938, with a strong emphasis on the pulp magazines of the era.

Interesting little video. Thanks for sharing!

On 11/20/2020 at 6:21 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Immediately fell for this rather odd cover of Lewis's Out of the Silent Planet. It is the first of a trilogy of books, followed by Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength.

image.jpeg.665bed13ae10a2a07058c7cf6ad53c2e.jpeg

Was this the first paperback printing of this C.S. Lewis book?

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

Finally, another Ray Johnson cover digest that is just bursting with color and colorful characters. He did a lot more of these than I ever suspected, including several for Original Novels.

20210316_181637.thumb.jpg.171c4257f19f79b468eab0c2b463dea0.jpg

"She had a conscience- but not when it came to men!" 

That.  Little. Tramp.