• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,933 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2021 at 10:59 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I'm in the same place.  I love the look of fresh, glossy copies of the doubles and I have a lot of them.  But it's a long way to go to complete the set.  Feels like a 10-15 year goal if I embark on it.  Especially when I'm working on a Midwood run, an Ace F-series run, a Popular Library run, etc.  Then toss in various digest runs and man, it's a tall climb to the top!

My challenge is creating bookends (metaphorical) for where to start and stop pursuits.  Still working on it.

I've got most of the trickier SF D- and S- series Ace SF books already, at least:  Cry Plague, Conan the Conqueror, all the PKD books (except possibly the 2nd print of Solar Lottery, D-340.  I know I used to have a copy, but may have gotten rid of it when I got the D-103), the Ellison SF double, and so on.  So I'll continue working on the basis of "I'll grab the D- and S- books when I see them affordable" and eventually decide how serious I want to be about everything rather than just the SF.  For now, I'll keep grabbing everything as I find it cheaply,  since I figure a nice mix of spines looks good even if it's heavily biased towards SF.

It took me about 5 years to collect all of the Ace "D" sci-fi doubles. I was collecting and reading them pretty much in sync until the last few months. At that point nearing my goal I sped up the pace I was adding books just to complete the collection.  I didn't keep track of where I bought each book, but I found quite a few of the books at Uncle Hugo's science fiction book store. Sadly that burned down last May. The owner is still raising money to relocate and rebuild.

On 11/3/2021 at 5:55 PM, PopKulture said:

I'm that guy who likes all those vegetable gardening and Vogue dressmaking editions.

YOU're that guy! :baiting: Seriously, I know what you mean, the ebay postage adds up so i'll always look for more books from the same seller to bundle if I can. 

I'm a generalist in that there's a wide swath of what i'll pick up, especially if they're minty and relatively inexpensive, beyond my core collections of Digests, Woolrich, Peanuts, Heinlein, Ray Johnson covers etc.

On 11/9/2021 at 2:52 PM, Surfing Alien said:

A lot of sweet Ace's around here lately.  I grabbed this decent enough copy of Spiderweb, a tough book without creases but this was a real bargain so will do for now.

SpiderWeb.jpg.f0bf4812596e27d2f49986398f8485ad.jpg

While I was putting it away in my Ace box, I figured I'd do a group shot of important early doubles. I have most but not every one I want of the first 100, notably missing the D-7 Whittington and some need upgrading but I'm getting there. They look nice lined up together.

Aces.thumb.jpg.83e02acb87400b8ff9e74682b99a620c.jpg

Your Spiderweb actually looks similar to my copy, down to the creases near the spine and lower right corner... not a perfect match, but I think I could mistake your copy for mine if I didn't have them both to compare.

I've got half of the 10 books you show, I guess I'm off to a decent start on these given that I only started getting non-SF doubles 3 years ago or so...

Ace_D-059a.jpg

On 11/10/2021 at 1:04 PM, OtherEric said:

Your Spiderweb actually looks similar to my copy, down to the creases near the spine and lower right corner... not a perfect match, but I think I could mistake your copy for mine if I didn't have them both to compare.

I've got half of the 10 books you show, I guess I'm off to a decent start on these given that I only started getting non-SF doubles 3 years ago or so...

Ace_D-059a.jpg

It's amazing how many copies of this book have that kind of creasing on the lower right corner (and the ubiquitous spine crease). Look at this copy on the Ace site at UNCW lol

http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/dD-series/dD-059a.jpg

You're surely on a good start with these since you got the most costly one (if not the rarest as you've noted! I think D-7 is tougher to find for sure, although if it regularly sold for $500, more copies might surface)

On 11/10/2021 at 2:45 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

flip side of D-59

0d59b.jpg

This cover isn't credited anywhere but looks kind of like Belarski to me. The front cover is credited to Harry Barton. I corrected my post above on D-7 - that's Rafael DeSoto, not Barton as I originally posted :tonofbricks:   The back cover is uncredited but the men's tall thin faces look a lot like the guy on the front cover.

On 11/10/2021 at 11:45 AM, Pat Calhoun said:

flip side of D-59

0d59b.jpg

Here's a few more flip sides.  Which raises the question... it's pretty clear on these books which is the headline book and which is the also-ran.  (The D-1 is arguably the exception, but even there I think most people view Too Hot for Hell as the 'front').  I can think of several single-author doubles where both sides are equally in demand, but are there any multiple creator doubles where both sides are in demand beyond the normal run in the range?  The only one I can think of off the top of my head is D-227; Gunner Cade is a well-regarded title and Crisis in 2140 is wanted by the H. Beam Piper fans (like me!) because Ace never reprinted it when they finally brought back the rest of Piper's works in the late 70's- early 80's.  But it's a pretty weak candidate, I think.

Ace_D-001b.jpg

Ace_D-013b.jpg

Ace_D-015b.jpg

Ace_D-036b.jpg