• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WYTCHES - Scott Snyder & Jock

1,106 posts in this topic

The fact is we don't know. Saga didn't rise this fast but had no movie announcement. It built a readership and the RRP soared. Bedlam had everyone jump on it right away and the prices were similar to Wytches now. Then it disappeared. Wasn't it also delayed? So the readership never formed and the book sank on the secondary market.

So here we have Wytches. It gained steam like Bedlam and IMO has readership potential like Saga. Can they keep the title on schedule? I would guess there will be a post speculation lull and then if the readership catches on it can rise again. The question for me is, how big of a lull and for how long. If the current speculation buzz maintains for even a couple months then the title has a chance to catch on with readers.

I sold enough to break even and now anxiously await the grading.

I'm still not convinced. Bedlam had the exact same thing going for it - tons of variants of #1, including a NYCC variant that was on fire straight out the gate. Saga just never had that ... it's seen a slow & steady rise simply due to the fact that it's a great book.

Which is why I use the 2 as comparisons. It is closer to Bedlam right now. If it mimics Saga Once the story is out there then the NYCC becomes the RRP if only because of the lowest print runs for each title.

So how many issues does Jock draw before he leaves the book? 4? 6 at the most? I don't see the kind of consistency in this books future compared to a book like Saga.

derp

This book certainly has a lot going for it. That being said, I wouldn't touch the NYCC variant at current prices. Just insane right now - especially relative to current prices on other variants. There is certainly no additional "significance" to the NYCC variant.

How much did you pay per copy for your Saga RRP's?

I was buying every Saga RRP that I could get at $150 or less. Huge difference with that book, though:

1.) ONLY cover variant for issue 1, with art by the actual series artist

2.) Better cover than the regular #1 (possibly best cover of the whole run)

IMO, there is a huge difference here with Wytches.

1.) The "variant premium" is severely diluted due to the number of variants that exist.

2.) There might be less copies of the NYCC than other variants, but not by much (500 to 1000 isn't that huge of a difference - 500 is not in and of itself "tremendously rare"), and it's really just a question of personal preference from one cover to the next

3.) Dustin Nguyen has nothing to do with Wytches. This might be my own personal bias here, but a variant that ties in directly with the true creative team on the book will always be much more desirable to me than random fill-in artist pinup cover art. For example: The LOW cover variants are much more appealing to me as they are all by regular cover artist / series artist Greg Tocchini. In this sense, they are a better "fit" for the series as a whole. The same is obviously true of the Saga RRP.

Why would you say that?

Just going by the artist' track record. Long monthly runs are not his forte. But hey who knows...

Snyder's definitely in it for the long haul. He's down to three books at the moment, which for him isn't much considering DC will probably be riding him like crazy for more Batman stuff. Jock's art just works so well with this, but I agree that he's never been a longterm project guy. If there were ever a book where he would, I'd imagine it'd be this one.

Edited by ComicsNYC22

Didn't Jock do the full run of Losers (Vertigo) with Andy Diggle? I don't expect him to be in a rush to leave Wytches - especially if it does as well as we all seem to expect.

Yeah, 1/3 of it was fill in artists, but he was the regular artist from beginning to end. As a co-creator who stands to make bank on this property, I don't see him jumping ship any time soon.

I can't see the NYCC sustaining this price. I loved the story but there are plenty of variants out there(unlike Saga) and just can't see this holding or going higher.

I could see it going higher. i look at the East of West RRP as an example. There were 4 covers on those and they shot way up. The last couple of 9.8s sold in the $240 -$250 range. The question imo is not whether or not it can go up in valuebut can it stay there ? Demand and readership will determine that in the future.

I can't see the NYCC sustaining this price. I loved the story but there are plenty of variants out there(unlike Saga) and just can't see this holding or going higher.

I could see it going higher. i look at the East of West RRP as an example. There were 4 covers on those and they shot way up. The last couple of 9.8s sold in the $240 -$250 range. The question imo is not whether or not it can go up in valuebut can it stay there ? Demand and readership will determine that in the future.

Yeah, I think the EoW RRP is the best comp.

Wytches as a series will sell considerably more copies because of Snyder and the massive promotional push Image has backed it with. On the other hand, the EoW RRP was tougher for the average collector/speculator to get from source. Both seem to have had some condition issues and both have to compete with a ton of other variants.

And as it stands right now Saga has the same amount of "variants" as Wytches. I have never experienced the release of several variants watering down the overall variant prices. Usually one is selected as the favourite and the rarest is the one that soars.

The RRP being done by the co-creator in Saga vs a guest artist for Wytches? I guess.

The CBLDF variant is supposed to be only 250 copies.

Will that have more heat because it's the smallest print run, or less heat because it will be near impossible for anyone to have 5-10 copies right out of the gate and set the price, sell, relist, repeat?

Will that have more heat because it's the smallest print run, or less heat because it will be near impossible for anyone to have 5-10 copies right out of the gate and set the price, sell, relist, repeat?

CBLDF said the stores that are on there CBLDF member list will get the copies.

That means a hell of a lot of these will end up in the hands of speculators as most CBLDF stores do not speculate.

For $100 I'll tell you where this is

Screenshot2014-10-16at43733PM_zpsbda71c43.png

Where did you hear this? 250 copies?

And as it stands right now Saga has the same amount of "variants" as Wytches. I have never experienced the release of several variants watering down the overall variant prices. Usually one is selected as the favourite and the rarest is the one that soars.

The RRP being done by the co-creator in Saga vs a guest artist for Wytches? I guess.

Did you really just equate the number of Saga variants over a 22 issue run to the number of Wytches variants of issue 1 (so far)...? (shrug)

C'mon Jeff, you're smarter than that.