• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

I think debt is fine IF you don't really "need" it. I use 0 interest credit quite a bit for large purchases, but probably have 90% of the funds on hand should I need to pay it off quickly.

To each his own. Just don't get yourself underwater on anything and show some common sense.

And I think liquidating and downsizing to generate the funds for a large purchase is a great idea.

I went from thousands of books in my personal collection to less than a hundred a couple of years ago. Liberating and takes up very little space.

Your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs make total sense. I am utterly intrigued, though, by the first sentence of your first paragraph--"I think debt is fine IF you don't really 'need' it."

So if you don't need to go into debt, you might as well because you have 90% of the funds on hand anyway? And then so debt is fine if someone "needs" it? I guess it boils down to how we define "fine" and what constitutes "need". :lol: Who needs debt? Many of us have a lot of it, no doubt, but it's an interesting paradigm, that sentence of yours.

Kudos to all of you disciplined folk who pay off the ol' credit card after every cycle with no interest involved. You are among a super tiny minority. :hail: PayPal, Discover, American Express, Visa, Master Card, etc. wouldn't have a prayer in hell if this was even REMOTELY typical consumer behavior.

"Make memories today. Pay in the future"--that was a recent slogan featured on the homepage of PayPal. It's deceptively simple. What if debt was the most aggressively marketed product today? :think: Folks with great marketing skills have had great success with we consumers....

Veering quickly off the AF #15 Club thread focus, admittedly. :tonofbricks:

Sorry for being unclear. My use of the term "need" was to differentiate the four letter word from NEED, as in people NEED jobs, food, or if they are bound and determined to make an ill-advised purchase that they have no business making, they would NEED financing to do so.

My point was that if I've got $1K in my comic book spending account, I don't "need" to finance a $1000 purchase, but will do so if the terms/rewards are suitable to my needs. I'll pay it off in the span of a couple of months, but will have the $1K my account on hand to pay down immediately if need be. Those are just number for example. It's pretty rare that I spend that much on a book.

Anyhow, that's just me. Long story short, I'll finance if it's worth it on some level, but never more than I can pay immediately if I needed to in a pinch. Just my way of doing things. Following my example has historically led to everything from unexpected pregnancies to jail time, so steer clear.

Hope that clears my stance a little bit.

Multiple?

I think debt is fine IF you don't really "need" it. I use 0 interest credit quite a bit for large purchases, but probably have 90% of the funds on hand should I need to pay it off quickly.

To each his own. Just don't get yourself underwater on anything and show some common sense.

And I think liquidating and downsizing to generate the funds for a large purchase is a great idea.

I went from thousands of books in my personal collection to less than a hundred a couple of years ago. Liberating and takes up very little space.

Your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs make total sense. I am utterly intrigued, though, by the first sentence of your first paragraph--"I think debt is fine IF you don't really 'need' it."

So if you don't need to go into debt, you might as well because you have 90% of the funds on hand anyway? And then so debt is fine if someone "needs" it? I guess it boils down to how we define "fine" and what constitutes "need". :lol: Who needs debt? Many of us have a lot of it, no doubt, but it's an interesting paradigm, that sentence of yours.

Kudos to all of you disciplined folk who pay off the ol' credit card after every cycle with no interest involved. You are among a super tiny minority. :hail: PayPal, Discover, American Express, Visa, Master Card, etc. wouldn't have a prayer in hell if this was even REMOTELY typical consumer behavior.

"Make memories today. Pay in the future"--that was a recent slogan featured on the homepage of PayPal. It's deceptively simple. What if debt was the most aggressively marketed product today? :think: Folks with great marketing skills have had great success with we consumers....

Sorry for being unclear. My use of the term "need" was to differentiate the four letter word from NEED, as in people NEED jobs, food, or if they are bound and determined to make an ill-advised purchase that they have no business making, they would NEED financing to do so.

My point was that if I've got $1K in my comic book spending account, I don't "need" to finance a $1000 purchase, but will do so if the terms/rewards are suitable to my needs. I'll pay it off in the span of a couple of months, but will have the $1K my account on hand to pay down immediately if need be. Those are just number for example. It's pretty rare that I spend that much on a book.

Anyhow, that's just me. Long story short, I'll finance if it's worth it on some level, but never more than I can pay immediately if I needed to in a pinch. Just my way of doing things. Following my example has historically led to everything from unexpected pregnancies to jail time, so steer clear.

Multiple?

Ha!! Yeah, probably. I keed, I keed.

Can we see a close up of that 5.0? If the tape pull is what pulled it down to 5.0 then i'm assuming the rest of it must be in amazing condition.

https://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=54234

1207680001.jpg

That 5.0 on pedigree ended at low price. Buyer got a good deal. $18k

Yes he did.

Oh we went off the rails some time ago on this one... At least it has been civil!

I'm not always successful, but I try sometimes!

Edited by cloudofwit

:thumbsup: Makes sense.

Why my hyper response? Events have transpired in the last few years that have just gradually led me to be a bit evangelistic about all this. :preach:

Edited by cloudofwit

Curious to see what this 7.0 will sell for. Be nice if the front cover had a better scan. I cant even put in an offer since its been counter offfered everytime i checked on it

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=662495

The back cover photo makes the book look pretty solid. But it looks like the front cover pic was shot in the dark by candlelight. Seems like an odd or calculated choice.

Curious to see what this 7.0 will sell for. Be nice if the front cover had a better scan. I cant even put in an offer since its been counter offfered everytime i checked on it

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=662495

The back cover photo makes the book look pretty solid. But it looks like the front cover pic was shot in the dark by candlelight. Seems like an odd or calculated choice.

I agree