• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Jaydog, in all honesty, I was not thinking of your comments when making my statement. IMO, you are not pimping books,  just doing your PQ discussion. And, I agree with you that the market doesn't care what any of us think or say here. However, there are obviously others here who do think otherwise and do nothing but pimp up the financials. In all sincerity, I would much rather see a PQ post from you rather than another speculative financial comment from certain others. 

;) I got you. :foryou:

-J.

32 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Jaydog, in all honesty, I was not thinking of your comments when making my statement. IMO, you are not pimping books,  just doing your PQ discussion. And, I agree with you that the market doesn't care what any of us think or say here. However, there are obviously others here who do think otherwise and do nothing but pimp up the financials. In all sincerity, I would much rather see a PQ post from you rather than another speculative financial comment from certain others. 

Yeah Baby,  this thread needs a video - 

Not sure if this has been posted before, but thoughts on this book? Its got decent PQ, no chipping, clean spine, bright colors, and its decently well centered. Anyone want to take the over/under at 50k?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2017may%26pg%3D2%23Item_1181401&id=1181401

32 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Not sure if this has been posted before, but thoughts on this book? Its got decent PQ, no chipping, clean spine, bright colors, and its decently well centered. Anyone want to take the over/under at 50k?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2017may%26pg%3D2%23Item_1181401&id=1181401

Sorry we're not allowed to comment on auction books in this forum. lol

43 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Under 50k

40 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

The CVS sticker will most likely pimp the book to sell for a higher price. It's a nice looking 5.0. Maybe I should upgrade lol

It really is a nice looking book. It needs to be reholdered as the book looks a little loose in the inner well. There is some mild SCS but nothing that can't be fixed.

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

the market doesn't care what any of us think or say here. However, there are obviously others here who do think otherwise and do nothing but pimp up the financials. In all sincerity, I would much rather see a PQ post from you rather than another speculative financial comment from certain others. 

+1, It's good reading here, when I buy a book-the boards have zero effect on me.

8 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:
3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

the market doesn't care what any of us think or say here. However, there are obviously others here who do think otherwise and do nothing but pimp up the financials. In all sincerity, I would much rather see a PQ post from you rather than another speculative financial comment from certain others. 

+1, It's good reading here, when I buy a book-the boards have zero effect on me.

I think over a decade ago this was true. This place was new, the internet was new and news traveled slower.

Now I think conversations about chipping, tanning, pressing, movie announcements and anything else you can think of actually do affect the market.

This is probably the most concentrated meeting of collectors and dealers in the hobby.

I think you'd kid yourselves if you believed what was said here didn't have a ripple effect out there.

24 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I think over a decade ago this was true. This place was new, the internet was new and news traveled slower.

Now I think conversations about chipping, tanning, pressing, movie announcements and anything else you can think of actually do affect the market.

This is probably the most concentrated meeting of collectors and dealers in the hobby.

I think you'd kid yourselves if you believed what was said here didn't have a ripple effect out there.

Agree, for the most part.  The boards can, and have, moved the needle on certain books (see the old GL76 is tough in HG thread from years ago;  book took off like a shot, even in OS the year following that thread).  

Not sure that it'll have an effect on the price of an 8.0 AF15 though.

And, since I'm here, with regards to PQ I've never totally bought into the "it means suppleness over color".  I think it's probably a mixture of the two.  "Brittle" certainly describes quality over color.  "White" describes a color, but it's also a comment on the preservation of the book.  I usually feel dirty when I agree with Jaydog, but I do agree that CGC misses the mark enough that I don't put too much into it (other than brittle pages).   The exception being books with White covers/white pages.  Those usually look far superior to same grades, lower PQ.  At least in my experience.

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You may be correct with certain topics discussed on the Boards. Most recent example being the design of the New Slab V1. The discussion here definitely had a ripple effect leading to CGC changing it. Another example, from a few years ago, was the Boards discussion about tape, influencing CGC to change their grading policy on Tape.  However, I don't think our discussion, in this thread, has much of an influence on anyone. 

7 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You may be correct with certain topics discussed on the Boards. Most recent example being the design of the New Slab V1. The discussion here definitely had a ripple effect leading to CGC changing it. Another example, from a few years ago, was the Boards discussion about tape, influencing CGC to change their grading policy on Tape.

Those are two excellent examples.

The slab change is a perfect example. Most of the discussion originated here and spread like wildfire on social media after the discussion started here. I know because I kept reading references to this chat forum on Facebook.

7 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

However, I don't think our discussion, in this thread, has much of an influence on anyone. 

Why would this topic be any different? IMO it isn't.

I'd bet more people found out about the rising auction results from this site than from the CC auction links.

This place has become a hub for information.

And money interests people more than anything else.

Edited by VintageComics

9 hours ago, drbanner said:

This discussion makes me miss SC22 pimping AF15 in this thread...

makeitstop.jpg

Don't worry, he will be back pimping before we know it - he can't help himself. Besides that, I'm dying to know what's the 2nd most desirable baseball card so I can pick it up.

16 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Agree, for the most part.  The boards can, and have, moved the needle on certain books (see the old GL76 is tough in HG thread from years ago;  book took off like a shot, even in OS the year following that thread).  

I missed this post yesterday. Yes, the GL 76 thread is another perfect example. These boards carry more sway than people like to believe they do.

Not sure that it'll have an effect on the price of an 8.0 AF15 though.

Directly, no. But the 'pump and pump' mentality coupled with some 'record prices' from previous auctions (of which some are dubious) CAN pressure people into spending more than they normally would if they feel that prices are actually rising.

And, since I'm here, with regards to PQ I've never totally bought into the "it means suppleness over color".  I think it's probably a mixture of the two.  "Brittle" certainly describes quality over color.  "White" describes a color, but it's also a comment on the preservation of the book.  I usually feel dirty when I agree with Jaydog, but I do agree that CGC misses the mark enough that I don't put too much into it (other than brittle pages).   The exception being books with White covers/white pages.  Those usually look far superior to same grades, lower PQ.  At least in my experience.

There is an expected relationship between color and quality. And that's not CGC's fault, it's the way the hobby has evolved.

In 1970 it wasn't as important or as noticed, because

• a) the hobby was young and books didn't deteriorate as much as they did 50 years later
  • b) values weren't as relevant so people didn't parse hairs.

But in an era where values matter more than anything else, all of a sudden it becomes important to be more accurate with designations. Hence the splitting of grades from G-F-M to a 25 point scale.

Having said all that, the majority of the time paper color and paper quality are closely related. The whiter (or closer to original color) the paper is, the closer the quality is to original as well. There are exceptions but they are just that: exceptions.

12 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:
22 hours ago, drbanner said:

This discussion makes me miss SC22 pimping AF15 in this thread...

makeitstop.jpg

Don't worry, he will be back pimping before we know it - he can't help himself. Besides that, I'm dying to know what's the 2nd most desirable baseball card so I can pick it up.

There are no auctions ending with record prices so there's just nothing left to talk about.

(tsk)