• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Just to clarify, the other 7.5 copy I was talking about was not an AF #15 but the grade was what was important to the discussion.

Normally I would jump to sell most AF15's I come across, but that's a really sweet looking 8.0. Worth thinking about a resub.

Peewee talked to me when get got the offer. The first thing I did is looked at the HA scans to see if the book was upgradeable and if that was the motivation for the strong offer. My thought was that it wasn't.

I would agree as the spine ticks keep it down but the back cover and gloss are a 9.2. Hell of a nice book structurally, no chips.

Normally I would jump to sell most AF15's I come across, but that's a really sweet looking 8.0. Worth thinking about a resub.

Peewee talked to me when get got the offer. The first thing I did is looked at the HA scans to see if the book was upgradeable and if that was the motivation for the strong offer. My thought was that it wasn't.

Doesn't matter. Would not leave this house.

The assigned graders: 2 gave it an 8.0 and 1 gave it a 7.5.

Grader notes below (I can't find the back cover crease).

164085.jpg.103c1b2c7ada854fc9f396f5ac8922da.jpg

Doesn't matter. Would not leave this house.

The assigned graders: 2 gave it an 8.0 and 1 gave it a 7.5.

Grader notes below (I can't find the back cover crease).

Never saw the notes of your copy before. I think CGC made a mistake. I always thought the crease was in the front cover, right corner (Spider-Man red foot to the building).

Good job, it is, was gonna mention when it was presented on these boards a few years ago but didn't want to since it belonged to a board member as a 7.0

5.5-7.0-7.5

I've seen a 4.5(ha copy) go to 5.5(my former copy) then a 6.0(last sold by sparklecity)

Good job, it is, was gonna mention when it was presented on these boards a few years ago but didn't want to since it belonged to a board member as a 7.0

5.5-7.0-7.5

I've seen a 4.5(ha copy) go to 5.5(my former copy) then a 6.0(last sold by sparklecity)

How can a book that has gone through the proper grading process, be resubbed twice and go up 2 FULL grades? I know CGC was in its infancy in 2002 but the book has migrated from a 5.5 in 2002 to a current 7.5 and it still has the same upper left stress areas. hm

The 2nd scan is the BC when it was a 5.5.

164088.jpg.8d4a6a0e204e4b29b78abc3503b28174.jpg

164089.jpg.9e4ba8e118775632d2a66ed50e6e0ce1.jpg

Edited by peewee22

It's the 'Peter Principle' of third party-graded comics. The Peter Principle states that every corporate worker rises in their organization to their level of incompetence. In our hobby, every encapsulated comic, after upteen times being pressed, resubmitted, and re-graded, rises to its level of being overgraded.

Offered tongue in cheek, of course, but it does have elements of truth.

very good question peewee

+1

Personally I think it was originally under graded. 5.5? Should have been 6.0 or 6.5.

And now it seems to be over graded.

Really? I would say the book looked like a CGC 6.5 and even possibly a CGC 7.0 in that 5.5 holder.

You don't know how deep those back cover markings go into the paper and how much they affect the grade. We also don't know if they're still there.

Also, everyone is a tight grader from an armchair on the internet. I've seen worse looking 7.5s in a CGC holder.

And I have no affiliation with this book. Just stating my opinion because I disagree with some opinions stated.

It's a nice book, but 7.5 seems "generous" from the scan.
I disagree. Based on what I've seen over the years, it's right in the 7.0/7.5 pocket.

I just saw another book that didn't look nearly as nice as this copy with a CGC 7.5 grade and it was in an old 1st generation label holder.

So much for 'old label goodness'. lol

People are quick to judge a book by a scan but I don't think many people are very good at grading from a scan. You can guess but you don't have the book in hand to make the call.

Yeah, I guess me posting "from the scan" wasn't quite clear enough. meh

My post wasn't a critique of your grading skills.

It was more of a critique of how most people throw out grading opinions (sometimes based on just a front cover scan) and yet have no idea what the book is like in hand.

My post wasn't a critique of your grading skills.

It was more of a critique of how most people throw out grading opinions (sometimes based on just a front cover scan) and yet have no idea what the book is like in hand.

Roy, my thought waves are coming from how a book can start as a graded 5.5 and increase to a 7.5. Doesn't matter what the 5.5 "could or should have been". It was what it was. And it ended up a 7.5. Still looks the same to me alpha and omega.

Just curious. (thumbs u

What a book was to me is irrelevant because it could have been a higher grade or a lower grade. It's only what it is now that matters to me. And I buy (and sell) accordingly.