• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

We can judge it any way we want since it is our money that would be at stake.

:whatev:

Whatever!! Why are you boosting this book anyway what is it to you what we say about it? I do not like the way the book looks for a 7.5 there I said it again. You buy it if you like it.

Anyway, Doug made the perfect deal and at some point he is going to make an amazing profit on this book. I think the seller of this book may have a thought or two about letting this book go. BTW, TimelyFinds did a great job when he posted the current value for CGC7.0 as posted here on the boards!

To ignorant me, the 6.5 on CC has equal appeal to me as the 7.5 being discussed and the 8.5 recently sold at HA. I can hear the reactions coming :grin:

And the 5.0 has amazing appeal to me. But I am talking as a collector, not as a investor here and I am spreaking about the book, not the grade. Whyis a rusty staple such a big nono? Does it pose a risk for future degradation of the book, even in CGC encapsulation? And cream pages or not, I can't see the pages anyway.

The 8.0 is a dream to me. It seems vastly undergraded with the standards currently applied by CGC and others

Whyis a rusty staple such a big nono? Does it pose a risk for future degradation of the book, even in CGC encapsulation? And cream pages or not, I can't see the pages anyway.

For me yes, thats exactly why I would not buy a book with rust. I am really not 100% sure if there is a risk (or how big of a risk) for future degradation, but for that kind of money I wouldnt take the chances, especially when AF15s in that grade range surface pretty often.

Quick question guys. I'm new at collecting comics. So what does rusty staples do the actual comic? From what I have read, the value of the grade will drop. But what happens to the book after its graded and safely inside the CGC cover. Will the rust deteriorate the book further more.

Appreciate the help.

Quick question guys. I'm new at collecting comics. So what does rusty staples do the actual comic? From what I have read, the value of the grade will drop. But what happens to the book after its graded and safely inside the CGC cover. Will the rust deteriorate the book further more.

Appreciate the help.

It can, depends on the environment. I keep some loose staples in a small bowl inside my safe. One of the staples had a tiny spot of rust. After about two years, I cannot detect any deterioration.

I can't believe 2 out of 3 graders put a 7.5 rubber stamp on that book. Amazing.

I thought all of them had to agree on grade. OK. Just learned something.

Well, it used to be the consensus rules. If 2 grade it 7.5 and 1 grades it 7.0, it gets a 7.5. But this may have changed. I rarely get books graded anymore.

I don't think this was ever the case. The finalizer assigns the grade with input from the other two graders but it is still his call. Back when you could find out what each grader assigned you would see it was not a vote. Once I had a book where the first two graders assigned a 9.6 but the finalizer found something and it got a 9.0 .

Wow.

So why employ 2 Jr's? Save the money and let the finalizer just grade the book. Seriously.

It's not 2 juniors and one seniors.

It's 1 pre-grader, 1 grader and 1 finalizer.

Why do they use more than one grader? So that one person doesn't miss something and also so that there is more impartiality with the grade.

It's sort of like the same reason you would use a jury rather than one person to make a decision.

And talking about grades from the scan of a book is really just a guess unless you've held the book in hand.

I was very positively surprised when I read about the 3 graders process of CGC, compared to PSA for sports cards where one and only grader decides. That makes the process extremely vulnerable for human mistakes, subjectivity and a lot of inconsistency in grading - which is a fact in the world of graded sports cards.

It's a nice book, but 7.5 seems "generous" from the scan.
I disagree. Based on what I've seen over the years, it's right in the 7.0/7.5 pocket.

I just saw another book that didn't look nearly as nice as this copy with a CGC 7.5 grade and it was in an old 1st generation label holder.

So much for 'old label goodness'. lol

People are quick to judge a book by a scan but I don't think many people are very good at grading from a scan. You can guess but you don't have the book in hand to make the call.

Normally I would jump to sell most AF15's I come across, but that's a really sweet looking 8.0. Worth thinking about a resub.

Peewee talked to me when get got the offer. The first thing I did is looked at the HA scans to see if the book was upgradeable and if that was the motivation for the strong offer. My thought was that it wasn't.

It's a nice book, but 7.5 seems "generous" from the scan.
I disagree. Based on what I've seen over the years, it's right in the 7.0/7.5 pocket.

I just saw another book that didn't look nearly as nice as this copy with a CGC 7.5 grade and it was in an old 1st generation label holder.

People are quick to judge a book by a scan but I don't think many people are very good at grading from a scan. You can guess but you don't have the book in hand to make the call.

(thumbs u