• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

Thank you for sharing the story on the Sarley books. Your AF15 8.0 is a looker !

170K offer for an 8.0 (ok ... a very nice 8.0) while a freshly graded 7.5 OWW (Grade Date: 08/04/2016) sits with a highest offer of 53K.

Go figure. (shrug)

Thank you for sharing the story on the Sarley books. Your AF15 8.0 is a looker !

170K offer for an 8.0 (ok ... a very nice 8.0) while a freshly graded 7.5 OWW (Grade Date: 08/04/2016) sits with a highest offer of 53K.

Go figure. (shrug)

HA gets some crazy offers on books - who knows if all of them are 100% serious but I know of a couple people who got very high offers, accepted them and got paid.

Cool to see someone love a book as much as you do Peewee. Need more collectors in this hobby.

I just flipped through a Heritage catalog this morning from their 2011 August signature auction [what an incredible offering of books in that auction]. Sarley's books were mainly Spider-Man issues and they were just stunning, early issues in 9.8, breath taking stuff. But for $180K I would either have CPR'd that book or sold it and spent $60k on a copy a grade lower. I think Sarely had an initial batch of books from his collection auctioned off at Sotheby's if I'm not mistaken?

Go figure. (shrug)

I think many people know where that freshly graded 7.5 came from. That might be a reason why bids are still low.

Go figure. (shrug)

I think many people know where that freshly graded 7.5 came from. That might be a reason why bids are still low.

That 6/5 marking does look familiar. hm

Go figure. (shrug)

That 6/5 marking does look familiar. hm

Press 7.0 to 7.5

I just flipped through a Heritage catalog this morning from their 2011 August signature auction [what an incredible offering of books in that auction]. Sarley's books were mainly Spider-Man issues and they were just stunning, early issues in 9.8, breath taking stuff. But for $180K I would either have CPR'd that book or sold it and spent $60k on a copy a grade lower. I think Sarely had an initial batch of books from his collection auctioned off at Sotheby's if I'm not mistaken?

Ed purchased them off the stands one to read and one to collect. It was the luck of the Irish I guess. The AF15 could have easily been a 9.4. Just depended on what copies were available at the newsstand. Don't get me wrong. The 8.0 is a fabulous book but many other Spideys he purchased were 9.4 and better.

What this tells us is AF15 was made with cheaper materials and there weren't many fabulous copies on the stands. Some, but not many.

I can't believe 2 out of 3 graders put a 7.5 rubber stamp on that book. Amazing.

I thought all of them had to agree on grade. OK. Just learned something.

Well, it used to be the consensus rules. If 2 grade it 7.5 and 1 grades it 7.0, it gets a 7.5. But this may have changed. I rarely get books graded anymore.

I can't believe 2 out of 3 graders put a 7.5 rubber stamp on that book. Amazing.

I thought all of them had to agree on grade. OK. Just learned something.

Well, it used to be the consensus rules. If 2 grade it 7.5 and 1 grades it 7.0, it gets a 7.5. But this may have changed. I rarely get books graded anymore.

I don't think this was ever the case. The finalizer assigns the grade with input from the other two graders but it is still his call. Back when you could find out what each grader assigned you would see it was not a vote. Once I had a book where the first two graders assigned a 9.6 but the finalizer found something and it got a 9.0 .

I think it's pretty. Not as pretty as your copy of course but then again not same grade either.

Very pretty. Unusual clean grays. I just think a 7.5 is pushing the envelope. Did someone say it was pressed up from a 7.0?