• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

It is really sad that the prices on THE SA mega key are so out of whack. There is really no excuse for being so far out given that AF 15 comes up for sale regularly in all grades below VF.

+1

Once today's collectors as a whole quit hyper focusing on collecting major keys, and instead turn their attention to runs, characters, fine stories and art, or other desirable features of collecting non-keys, prices will normalize.

Don't hold your breath.

Roy, my thought waves are coming from how a book can start as a graded 5.5 and increase to a 7.5. Doesn't matter what the 5.5 "could or should have been". It was what it was. And it ended up a 7.5. Still looks the same to me alpha and omega.

Just curious. (thumbs u

What a book was to me is irrelevant because it could have been a higher grade or a lower grade. It's only what it is now that matters to me. And I buy (and sell) accordingly.

Makes sense.

Makes absolutely NO SENSE to me at all. :screwy:

Sounds as though you guys are saying that we should buy the current label, even if we know the book was graded significantly lower in previous occasions. Doesn't matter what was done to the book as the only thing that is relevant is its current grade.

So I guess Roy would have been willing to pay full market price for the Church 9.0 copy of Boy Comics #17, even though it was originally graded as a CGC 4.0 copy and then regraded as a CGC 7.5 copy before finally hitting a CGC 9.0 home run on its third try, all while residing in a blue slab. :insane:

It makes perfect sense.

You have no idea whether a book has been in a higher or a lower grade holder (although you are conveniently assuming it was in a lower grade holder of the sake of this discussion) or if it was ever in a holder at all.

Roy;

Looks like we are not quite in synch here.

I was referring to graded books where we clearly know that it was previously encased in a substantially lower graded slab. Like the CGC 7.5 AF 15 which we all now know was previously a CGC 5.5 copy or the Church 9.0 copy of Boy Comics 17 which everybody knew at the time was initially only a CGC 4.0 graded copy. hm

You seem to be referring to first time graded books or possible previously graded where nobody can trace what the previous grade was. Of course, in this case, I would agree with you in that the grade is the grade as there is no other information to go on. (thumbs u

I'm referring to any book I buy.

If I know about it's history great but if I don't I don't sweat it.

I don't think it's relevant what previous grade the AF #15 was. It was obviously grossly undergraded as a 5.5.

The Boy Comics is a different ball of wax but again, that's also a relatively isolated incident. Probably in the 1 percentile and not the norm. Would I like to know if a book was disassembled? Sure, but again it's relatively obscure and pretty much irrelevant in this discussion.

Wow, I buy the OSPG every year but only look at esoteric GA and HG bronze prices. It is really sad that the prices on THE SA mega key are so out of whack. There is really no excuse for being so far out given that AF 15 comes up for sale regularly in all grades below VF.

Where and when did the term 'multiple of Guide' come into use?

As far as I know it's been 'forever'.

Chuck Rozanski was at least an early pioneer with the use of multiple guide pricing with the Church books. It actually seems kind of quaint now.

But don't just take my word for it: comicbookpedigrees.com

If the AF #15 (now a 7.5) is such a great book why is it constantly up for sale?

The book has been a hot potato ever since it started out as a 5.5.

Books that come with stories are harder to sell. This book comes with a lot of "baggage" and while it may have sold again I'll probably be seeing it up for sale again.

Wow, I buy the OSPG every year but only look at esoteric GA and HG bronze prices. It is really sad that the prices on THE SA mega key are so out of whack. There is really no excuse for being so far out given that AF 15 comes up for sale regularly in all grades below VF.

Good point. I don't expect everything to trade at guide but some books for which there is a relatively efficient, very healthy and widely followed market I expect the OSPG to be within 10-20% rather than being out by a factor of two.

I mean come on, the new OSPG only came out in July.

If the AF #15 (now a 7.5) is such a great book why is it constantly up for sale?

The book has been a hot potato ever since it started out as a 5.5.

Books that come with stories are harder to sell. This book comes with a lot of "baggage" and while it may have sold again I'll probably be seeing it up for sale again.

I absolutely agree that a book with a story is harder to sell.

But I also think the book looked undergraded as a 5.5.

If that book could talk it would sing like a soprano.

Inquiring minds want to know how much CCS and CGC have made off of that book alone in grading/pressing fees.

According to Doug the book looks like an 8.0 LMAO.

I want those rose colored glasses.

Edited by blazingbob

It is really sad that the prices on THE SA mega key are so out of whack. There is really no excuse for being so far out given that AF 15 comes up for sale regularly in all grades below VF.

+1

Not out of whack when supply vs demand determines the market

Good point. I don't expect everything to trade at guide but some books for which there is a relatively efficient, very healthy and widely followed market I expect the OSPG to be within 10-20% rather than being out by a factor of two.

I mean come on, the new OSPG only came out in July.

OSPG is useless on high demand GA and SA keys before it's even printed.

+1

Once today's collectors as a whole quit hyper focusing on collecting major keys, and instead turn their attention to runs, characters, fine stories and art, or other desirable features of collecting non-keys, prices will normalize.

Don't hold your breath.

I'm only sad that I did not buy more copies 5 years ago

Edited by stcgc

Chuck Rozanski was at least an early pioneer with the use of multiple guide pricing with the Church books. It actually seems kind of quaint now.

So people have been paying multiples of Guide for decades.

+1

The first quote was taken out of context, by the way. The-Collector was referring to Overstreet Guide prices, not market prices.

It'll make total sense if you go see the posts Jake was referring to.

+1

The first quote was taken out of context, by the way. The-Collector was referring to Overstreet Guide prices, not market prices.

It'll make total sense if you go see the posts Jake was referring to.

Thanks for pointing that out

According to Doug the book looks like an 8.0 LMAO.

lol

Were you the original seller of that book as a 5.5?

as Roy knows I wasn't the original seller but I bought from clink (I think ) when it was a 5.5 and sold it a bit later

Next time I saw it was in a 6.5 holder. Then I saw in a 7.0 and now a 7.5

It did have 2 long non color breaking creases at one point (wish I pressed it lol )

Roy, my thought waves are coming from how a book can start as a graded 5.5 and increase to a 7.5. Doesn't matter what the 5.5 "could or should have been". It was what it was. And it ended up a 7.5. Still looks the same to me alpha and omega.

Just curious. (thumbs u

What a book was to me is irrelevant because it could have been a higher grade or a lower grade. It's only what it is now that matters to me. And I buy (and sell) accordingly.

Makes sense.

Makes absolutely NO SENSE to me at all. :screwy:

Sounds as though you guys are saying that we should buy the current label, even if we know the book was graded significantly lower in previous occasions. Doesn't matter what was done to the book as the only thing that is relevant is its current grade.

So I guess Roy would have been willing to pay full market price for the Church 9.0 copy of Boy Comics #17, even though it was originally graded as a CGC 4.0 copy and then regraded as a CGC 7.5 copy before finally hitting a CGC 9.0 home run on its third try, all while residing in a blue slab. :insane:

It makes perfect sense.

You have no idea whether a book has been in a higher or a lower grade holder (although you are conveniently assuming it was in a lower grade holder of the sake of this discussion) or if it was ever in a holder at all.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

i'm with roy on this one.

So people have been paying multiples of Guide for decades.

For Edgar Church books, other exceptional pedigrees, and ultra high grade that goes beyond the old NM ceiling of the Guide, yeah.