• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

I was asking for

Daredevil 1, cgc 9.4

He said no and wanted my books, plus $2500

The poor thing was obviously "stan-lee'd".

That kinda accounts for the 2500 imho.

lol, not a fan of the signature series?

Yes, it would appear that a signature increases the value of an otherwise worthless common drek book.

When it comes to a true vintage collectible comic book, however, a signature is probably treated more like a clear and visual defect by the marketplace.

Probably one of the reasons why the signed 8.5 copy of AF 15 in the most recent HA auction managed to sell for only something like more than a $35K discount to the condition guide price. :o:censored:

Its a no-brainer: Id never get a HG grail signed.

And when it comes to "stan-lee'd" books: I will completely shut up. End of rant.

I was asking for

Daredevil 1, cgc 9.4

Yes, it would appear that a signature increases the value of an otherwise worthless common drek book.

When it comes to a true vintage collectible comic book, however, a signature is probably treated more like a clear and visual defect by the marketplace.

Probably one of the reasons why the signed 8.5 copy of AF 15 in the most recent HA auction managed to sell for only something like more than a $35K discount to the condition guide price. :o:censored:

Or people thought it was graded on the loose side.

I don't think a Sig would devalue an otherwise good looking book.

I was asking for

Daredevil 1, cgc 9.4

This is the book you speak of:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-verified-signature-marvel-1962-cbcs-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7139-91159.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

The signature isn't visible. I don't think having a signature impacted the value of this book.

I'm thinking it is the condition of the book and the fact it is CBCS.

If this book was cgc 8.5, SS, it would have done much better.

I was asking for

Daredevil 1, cgc 9.4

Its a no-brainer: Id never get a HG grail signed.

And when it comes to "stan-lee'd" books: I will completely shut up. End of rant.

To follow everybody's comments, i purchase the book already signed.

Everybody has their opinions but i like the book and find the signature placement cool.

Thanks for all the feedback and insight.

I was asking for

Daredevil 1, cgc 9.4

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-verified-signature-marvel-1962-cbcs-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7139-91159.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

The signature isn't visible. I don't think having a signature impacted the value of this book.

Yup. (thumbs u

-J.

I was asking for

Daredevil 1, cgc 9.4

That book was graded 3 years ago IIRC.

Yup. (thumbs u

-J.

Jay;

Since you seem to be the acknowledged expert on CGC grading verus the other company, how would you grade this 8.5 signed copy relative to the recent CGC 7.5 copy (which was once a CGC 5.5 copy by the way lol:screwy: ) and which managed to sell for something like $82K, or a premium of 50% above the condition guide price?

:idea:

Maybe we should snap up all of the key books graded by the other company and simply send them into CGC for regrading as there's obviously a ton of potential easy money to be made here. For example, even if CGC came back with a grade of 7.5 on this 8.5 signed copy of AF 15, you would still be ahead of the game. Of course, you would stand to lose a bit if it came back as a CGC 7.0 signed copy. But just imagine the almost 6-figure profit you would make if it came back in the same 8.5 grade or your big jackpot winning if it came back as a 9.0 graded copy (which I personally don't see any chance of by the way).

I guess this goes to show the power of the brand and being first to market, even though historical evidence has clearly shown the product to be of less than consistent quality over the years. hm:screwy:

Yup. (thumbs u

-J.

Jay;

Since you seem to be the acknowledged expert on CGC grading verus the other company, how would you grade this 8.5 signed copy relative to the recent CGC 7.5 copy (which was once a CGC 5.5 copy by the way lol:screwy: ) and which managed to sell for something like $82K, or a premium of 50% above the condition guide price?

:idea:

Maybe we should snap up all of the key books graded by the other company and simply send them into CGC for regrading as there's obviously a ton of potential easy money to be made here. For example, even if CGC came back with a grade of 7.5 on this 8.5 signed copy of AF 15, you would still be ahead of the game. Of course, you would stand to lose a bit if it came back as a CGC 7.0 signed copy. But just imagine the almost 6-figure profit you would make if it came back in the same 8.5 grade or your big jackpot winning if it came back as a 9.0 graded copy (which I personally don't see any chance of by the way).

I guess this goes to show the power of the brand and being first to market, even though historical evidence has clearly shown the product to be of less than consistent quality over the years. hm:screwy:

lol I'm no acknowledged expert but there is a general consensus that Voldy slabs regularly do not sell at par to CGC. Perhaps it does have something to do with being "first to market". Perhaps Voldy's grading standards are not as strict as CGC and the market has figured that out. I have my own opinions why, and have expressed them before so will refrain from repeating here.

But...to answer your question , that Voldy 8.5 looks more like a 7.5 (CGC) to me. As for the CGC 7.5 that started a 5.5, I can't speak to how it looked before or whatever was done to it to "upgrade" it, but whatever that was it looks reasonably graded to me now (even if a bit soft). So as you said , all things being equal, there would only be a $5k spread between the realized prices of the two books, which would not even cover a typical 10% auction house vig At those prices but could be accounted for by the "Voldy Discount".

At the end of the day your question essentially answers itself (and as others have stated), it most likely came down to (loose) Voldy grading on the "8.5" more than anything else.

-J.

lol I'm no acknowledged expert but there is a general consensus that Voldy slabs regularly do not sell at par to CGC.

But a Voldy 9.0 AF #15 sold for $237K this past spring.

http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?ArticleID=176921

lol I'm no acknowledged expert but there is a general consensus that Voldy slabs regularly do not sell at par to CGC.

The price should be based soley on the book. But i prefer my books to be cgc'd. Makes me feel better. I'm a big warriors fan but don't want curry's under armour shoes. Since durant is now a warrior, i rather wear kd's nike shoes. Name recognition and loyalty plays a big role in my discrimination. Under armour-other company; nike-cgc

The price should be based soley on the book. But i prefer my books to be cgc'd. Makes me feel better. I'm a big warriors fan but don't want curry's under armour shoes. Since durant is now a warrior, i rather wear kd's nike shoes. Name recognition and loyalty plays a big role in my discrimination. Under armour-other company; nike-cgc

I personally liked the green converse that Larry Bird wore.

Roy;

Have you forgotten that this is the CGC boards and that you should never let boring facts get in the way of a good story. :gossip:lol

Actually, I believe you are still missing Jay's point here. If this particular copy was residing inside a CGC 9.0 slab, it would have sold for a cool half mmiiiillloon dollars, and not just for a paltry measly $237K!!! doh!lol

What do you guys think about this CGC 4.5? I am very close in acquiring it since it meets my criteria (range 4.0 - 5.5, no MC, no writing, no rust, no missing pieces). I would love to read what others with more experience think about that too, since this is my first big hit (after 7 months of research however).

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks a lot!

What do you guys think about this CGC 4.5? I am very close in acquiring it since it meets my criteria (range 4.0 - 5.5, no MC, no writing, no rust, no missing pieces). I would love to read what others with more experience think about that too, since this is my first big hit (after 7 months of research however).

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks a lot!

:gossip: Take that spine roll out and you have a 5.0-5.5. Really nice book

Edited by gadzukes

And a high grade Suspense 3 also sold well in a Voldy holder a year ago.

Uber high grade examples of mega grails that only come around once in a blue moon isn't going to tell you much. A sample size of "1" is obviously not enough to establish a control. We certainly have plenty of other examples of Voldy selling at a discount however, and it is also possible, if not likely, that the same AF 15 in a CGC holder would have fetched an even better price.

-J.

Uber high grade examples of mega grails that only come around once in a blue moon isn't going to tell you much. A sample size of "1" is obviously not enough to establish a control. We certainly have plenty of other examples of Voldy selling at a discount however, and it is certainly possible, if not likely, that the same AF 15 in a CGC holder would have fetched an even better price.

-J.

I read somewhere here on the boards that Voldemorts seem to be catching up in grading tightness. Is that true? I did one submission to them and I really regretted it. Now that CGC fixed their slab/wave problem I'm definitely back in the fold.

Uber high grade examples of mega grails that only come around once in a blue moon isn't going to tell you much. A sample size of "1" is obviously not enough to establish a control. We certainly have plenty of other examples of Voldy selling at a discount however, and it is certainly possible, if not likely, that the same AF 15 in a CGC holder would have fetched an even better price.

-J.

I read somewhere here on the boards that Voldemorts seem to be catching up in grading tightness. Is that true? I did one submission to them and I really regretted it. Now that CGC fixed their slab/wave problem I'm definitely back in the fold.

I've read that anecdotally as well, but I haven't seen any recently graded slabs in hand personally.

-J.