• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

lol I'm no acknowledged expert but there is a general consensus that Voldy slabs regularly do not sell at par to CGC.

But a Voldy 9.0 AF #15 sold for $237K this past spring.

http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?ArticleID=176921

And a high grade Suspense 3 also sold well in a Voldy holder a year ago.

Uber high grade examples of mega grails that only come around once in a blue moon isn't going to tell you much. A sample size of "1" is obviously not enough to establish a control. We certainly have plenty of other examples of Voldy selling at a discount however, and it is certainly possible, if not likely, that the same AF 15 in a CGC holder would have fetched an even better price.

-J.

I read somewhere here on the boards that Voldemorts seem to be catching up in grading tightness. Is that true? I did one submission to them and I really regretted it. Now that CGC fixed their slab/wave problem I'm definitely back in the fold.

I've read that anecdotally as well, but I haven't seen any recently graded slabs in hand personally.

-J.

Their new label is bad enough that I don't even care to find out how tight the grading has become.

What do you guys think about this CGC 4.5? I am very close in acquiring it since it meets my criteria (range 4.0 - 5.5, no MC, no writing, no rust, no missing pieces). I would love to read what others with more experience think about that too, since this is my first big hit (after 7 months of research however).

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks a lot!

:gossip: Take that spine roll out and you have a 5.0-5.5. Really nice book

Thanks for your comments. It looks like that I am not the only one who likes this. I am a bit turned off by the miswrap that mostly influences the back side, but I guess if it was perfect it would be a higher grade too, and probably unaffordable for me ;-)

I did one submission to them and I really regretted it.

Care to explain why you regretted submitting your books to them? ???

Was it because they came back graded too loose or tighter than what you were led to believe by most comments here? Or was it due to slow turnaround times, poor communications, insecure packaging for shipping, etc? Or was it simply because they did not look nice and were not compatible with the rest of your slabs since the others are all CGC slabs? hm

Your post just left a lot of unanswered questions that should probably be clarified a bit more.

Was it because they came back graded too loose or tighter than what you were led to believe by most comments here? Or was it due to slow turnaround times, poor communications, insecure packaging for shipping, etc? Or was it simply because they did not look nice and were not compatible with the rest of your slabs since the others are all CGC slabs? hm

Your post just left a lot of unanswered questions that should probably be clarified a bit more.

By the tone and context I presumed that he simply got a disappointing, cut-rate price for the slabs when he tried to sell....

-J.

they did tighten the grading, the other company isn't comprised of a bunch of bums and competition is healthy. I bet down the line the prices even out more but for the time being, I'm in agreement that you can score a deal on the right book just cause its in the voldy, get it in a cgc case and make a fast profit on a key. I mean come on, 8.5 or not that af 15 was a steal at what it sold for. Ol' Mr Magik Woo's book would have gotten more in a different holder, what's the worst that book is? a 7.5? No way it's less, maybe it's more. Yeah if I was selling a book like that right now I'd have gotten it in a cgc first.

I say this cause while I dont plan to sell the sc4 in my sig any time soon, it's in the other company holder and I'm ultimately really happy with the book at the price I paid. But I know eventually If I do decide to sell I should get it CGCd - it's a 7 but sometimes it keeps me up at night wondering what they'd grade it at.....

By the tone and context I presumed that he simply got a disappointing, cut-rate price for the slabs when he tried to sell....

-J.

Another opportunity to jab. You never miss one, even it means speaking for others. lol

lol I'm no acknowledged expert but there is a general consensus that Voldy slabs regularly do not sell at par to CGC.

But a Voldy 9.0 AF #15 sold for $237K this past spring.

http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?ArticleID=176921

And a high grade Suspense 3 also sold well in a Voldy holder a year ago.

Uber high grade examples of mega grails that only come around once in a blue moon isn't going to tell you much. A sample size of "1" is obviously not enough to establish a control. We certainly have plenty of other examples of Voldy selling at a discount however, and it is certainly possible, if not likely, that the same AF 15 in a CGC holder would have fetched an even better price.

-J.

I read somewhere here on the boards that Voldemorts seem to be catching up in grading tightness. Is that true? I did one submission to them and I really regretted it. Now that CGC fixed their slab/wave problem I'm definitely back in the fold.

I've read that anecdotally as well, but I haven't seen any recently graded slabs in hand personally.

-J.

They've tightened up. I've seen 100's of their boois at shows. I am not a fan of their new label though.

-J.

Another opportunity to jab. You never miss one, even it means speaking for others. lol

+1, low blow J (tsk)

-J.

+1, low blow J (tsk)

Huh? (shrug)

Then you may want to steer completely clear of this thread :

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9538857&fpart=1

-J.

-J.

+1, low blow J (tsk)

Huh? (shrug)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9538857&fpart=1

-J.

:facepalm: here i was, thinking you couldn't possibly get more dense. 'foiled again!

-J.

+1, low blow J (tsk)

Huh? (shrug)

-J.

This is called tilting at a windmill with a palm leaf in hand trying to do mortal combat.

-J.

+1, low blow J (tsk)

Huh? (shrug)

-J.

This is called tilting at a windmill with a palm leaf in hand trying to do mortal combat.

zzz I'm starting to think you own stock in Voldy.

I suppose, in a way you do.

You know, they do have some semblance of a chat board up now, right ? Maybe you and roulette44 can meet up over there and say hi to each other and the 3 other people on there ? zzz

-J.

To expect a competing new company's slabbed comics to realize prices comparable to CGC slabbed prices out of the gate is naive. Let's see where prices fall after several years of competition, and when the necessary time has passed for the hobby to gain confidence in and become fully accepting of the competitor before making any grand pronouncements.

Someone just listed a pair of AF15 2.0 on ComicLink. One a CGC copy, the other a CBCS copy.

Interesting difference between the 2 books.

Yes very interesting to look at them together. Without having access to pictures of the back cover, the CGC book does look (to me) to be a much better copy.

Edited by Jordysnordy