• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

Where and when did the term 'multiple of Guide' come into use?

As far as I know it's been 'forever'.

Chuck Rozanski was at least an early pioneer with the use of multiple guide pricing with the Church books. It actually seems kind of quaint now.

But don't just take my word for it: comicbookpedigrees.com

So people have been paying multiples of Guide for decades.

For Edgar Church books, other exceptional pedigrees, and ultra high grade that goes beyond the old NM ceiling of the Guide, yeah.

Thought it was pretty common knowledge that Chuck priced the Church books up to as much as 3x guide.

Edited by chrisco37

According to Doug the book looks like an 8.0 LMAO.

lol

Were you the original seller of that book as a 5.5?

as Roy knows I wasn't the original seller but I bought from clink (I think ) when it was a 5.5 and sold it a bit later

Next time I saw it was in a 6.5 holder. Then I saw in a 7.0 and now a 7.5

It did have 2 long non color breaking creases at one point (wish I pressed it lol )

I knew the AF15 ("6-5") looked familiar.

In the OSPG#16, two pages after "A-64", there's the AF15!

I wonder if the original owner was Bob Overstreet??

AF15-overstreet-no.16-40.jpg

Chuck Rozanski was at least an early pioneer with the use of multiple guide pricing with the Church books. It actually seems kind of quaint now.

For Edgar Church books, other exceptional pedigrees, and ultra high grade that goes beyond the old NM ceiling of the Guide, yeah.

Thought it was pretty common knowledge that Chuck priced the Church books up to as much as 3x guide.

But the point I'm making is that people weren't paying multiples because the books were owned by Church. They were paying multiples of Guide because the books were rumored to be the best of the best.

And so Guide was already just a guide for the best of the best even from the earliest years.

But the point I'm making is that people weren't paying multiples because the books were owned by Church. They were paying multiples of Guide because the books were rumored to be the best of the best.

And so Guide was already just a guide for the best of the best even from the earliest years.

The SF/Reilly books were priced at multiples of guide by the Comics&Comix crew and that was even before Chuck bought the Church collection.

At least, I think I have the chronology right: The SF books were brought to market after Overstreet was out but before Chuck found the Church books.

I was too young to know, but back in the early 70's did collectors disparage the Guide as inaccurate when they agreed to pay over Guide for books?

That was the point of discussion that I was following.

I don't remember the Guide prices being disparaged. When Marnin began offering SA comics with grades above NM and priced at multiples of guide, such as from the Massachusetts collection, it was understood that the Guide didn't cover such ultra high grade books. It wasn't until the advent of CGC and the establishment of premium prices for books graded above the Overstreet ceiling of NM did the Guide become less relevant, as paying a multiple of Guide prices for even non-pedigree books became commonplace.

I was too young to know, but back in the early 70's did collectors disparage the Guide as inaccurate when they agreed to pay over Guide for books?

That was the point of discussion that I was following.

No, The price guide was all you had back then and you understood that books would get hot, issues were harder to find in grade etc.

And I started buying/selling in 1973.

The Mass collection came to market in the 90's.

You also had the Overstreet monthly price guide that was being published while Marnin processed the collection.

My want list went up thousands every month the longer he took to get it ready for the market.

Marnin was definitely a dealer who pushed the envelope on pricing. But I was also around when the Northlands, Pacific Coast, Spokane, Edenwald, Rockfords, Western Penn's, Boston's, Overstreet collection, etc came to market.

Every one of them came to market at multiples of guide.

Auction houses were also getting multiples of guide on Gold/Silver age. Sotheby's and Christie's auctions gave a lot of insight into the strength of the market because back then most people flew in/went to the auctions. They were annual events and many a bidding war was waged.

If you didn't pay over guide you didn't get them.

Could you buy high grade below guide, Yes. Was it easy to do, No. Did you get first shot at collections if you were that type of buyer, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Guys who paid the most got to see collections first.

Edited by blazingbob

Of course they did, with many people calling it the Overprice guide when it first came out, as it was opined that nobody in their right mind would ever even think of paying $300 for a Mint copy of Action Comics #1. lol:takeit:

Of course they did, with many people calling it the Overprice guide when it first came out, as it was opined that nobody in their right mind would ever even think of paying $300 for a Mint copy of Action Comics #1. lol:takeit:

My experience was paying 2x guide for above average / superb copies. I remember Keith Contarino sending me a Spidey 2 via Jay at Sparkle City. I had the book in hand and it was gorgeous! And the price was too at 2300. Just could not pull the trigger, :cry:

The entry level market for af15s has exploded in value in the last 3 years. For example looking, at comicconect website i see the asking price as 10k for a 1.5 blue. Going from $10k(entry level) up to $15k(3.5-4.0). My point big jump in grade range for a $5k bump. Hard to put a dollar amount per grade point on this book.

Edited by stcgc

Is $300 what Action #1 listed for in the 1st Guide?

Does anyone have one handy to list some key prices?

Most of the SA keys were $50 I think in the early guides. Most back order catalogs listed them at that. Never could mow enough yards to get Spidey 1. Strange, but I never wanted AF15 then (in early 70s). Spidey 1 was king then.

Never forgot that. I guess that is why I'm in this hobby today. hm

I've got the Overstreet Giveaway reproduction that was done up in 1993.

Yes indeed, Action 1 is listed for the outrageous sum of $300 in Mint condition, with 'Tec 27 at $275, and both Marvel 1 & Superman 1 at $250 each. I guess nobody wanted AA 16 in those days since it was listed at only a measly $50 in Mint condition. :whee::takeit:

Most of the SA keys were $50 I think in the early guides. Most back order catalogs listed them at that. Never could mow enough yards to get Spidey 1. Strange, but I never wanted AF15 then (in early 70s). Spidey 1 was king then.

Well, from the reproduction of the first Overstreet guide, it looks like all of the SA keys were well under the $50 mark. :gossip:

Fantastic Four #1 appears to be at the top of the charts sitting at $30 in Mint condition. Looks like both AF 15 and ASM 1 were tied at $16 a piece, but still not high enough to beat FF 2 which came in at $20. Love the chronology as Journey Into Mystery #1 came in at $14 while JIM #83 managed to fetch only $10 at top of guide.

For DC's, it looks like all of the Flash Showcase books came in at the same $12 mark, but still behind Showcase 17, with the first Adam Strange possibly topping the DC SA chart at $16. :o

And for Roy and all of the other Thundra fans, it looks like the first issue of Thundra came in at $30 in Mint condition. lol

Well, from the reproduction of the first Overstreet guide, it looks like all of the SA keys were well under the $50 mark. :gossip:

Fantastic Four #1 appears to be at the top of the charts sitting at $30 in Mint condition. Looks like both AF 15 and ASM 1 were tied at $16 a piece, but still not high enough to beat FF 2 which came in at $20. Love the chronology as Journey Into Mystery #1 came in at $14 while JIM #83 managed to fetch only $10 at top of guide.

For DC's, it looks like all of the Flash Showcase books came in at the same $12 mark, but still behind Showcase 17, with the first Adam Strange possibly topping the DC SA chart at $16. :o

And for Roy and all of the other Thundra fans, it looks like the first issue of Thundra came in at $30 in Mint condition. lol

Most of the baby boomers were early in their careers and in their 20s. Spending $30 or more on a comic was probably not on the priority list. Buying a car, home and consumables was much higher on the list. And it probably wasn't cool to spend that much on a nerdy comic. :cool:

Most of the baby boomers were early in their careers and in their 20s. Spending $30 or more on a comic was probably not on the priority list. Buying a car, home and consumables was much higher on the list. And it probably wasn't cool to spend that much on a nerdy comic. :cool:

.... even that far back, you were unlikely to get a key in Mint condition for the OPG price....... 30 bucks was going to get you a decent VG of FF 1 for that. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... even that far back, you were unlikely to get a key in Mint condition for the OPG price....... 30 bucks was going to get you a decent VG of FF 1 for that. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Most of the back issue companies (Rogofsky, Cresthol, Bell) said they would pick the "better" copy to send to you once they received your postal money order.