• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2017 at 4:53 PM, SupergirlDC19591 said:

What is the highest price ever paid for a AF15 in CGC 8.5?

I expect that you will receive your answer in 6 days from now as the current CGC 8.5 graded copy of AF 15 is already sitting at over $131K with the juice included.  :gossip:

Guess the consignor of this particular copy did not do so bad after a lot of board members here opined that he had over paid for what was clearly an overgraded copy of this book when he paid $77K for it only a few months in the summer Heritage auction.  (shrug)

6 hours ago, lou_fine1 said:

I expect that you will receive your answer in 6 days from now as the current CGC 8.5 graded copy of AF 15 is already sitting at over $131K with the juice included.  :gossip:

Guess the consignor of this particular copy did not do so bad after a lot of board members here opined that he had over paid for what was clearly an overgraded copy of this book when he paid $77K for it only a few months in the summer Heritage auction.  (shrug)

What's the juice? Does the book come with some hooch?

Edited by NoMan

7 hours ago, NoMan said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine1 said:

What's the juice? Does the book come with some hooch?

The juice is the 19.5% Buyer's Premium which is charged to the winning bidder by Heritage?  :gossip:

Not sure what happened to your earlier question about the grading of the book?  I actually had no problem with the original 8.5 grading which was given to the book by the other company.  It's just that a lot of other board members stated at the time that the book was clearly overgraded and implied that it would only be somewhere in the 7.0 to 8.0 condition range if the book had been graded by CGC. 

Looks like they were clearly wrong in the end.  :boo:

Below is a cut/paste i posted in PGM. I thought the comparisons of FCRE of mine and the two links were interesting in their difference, all books being untrimmed. I'm interested in this threads opinion regarding expected(?) variance is FC size. Thank you.

Re-post:

"Re Signature, I get both options, definitely no signature on cover of this one, space is precious. That’s my dry humor segue to the ‘building window’ observation, thank you Glassman10 for your keen eye and multi points reply, certainly peaked my interest, gave me a startle, beget some questions.

I’m very interested in boards/threads insights, is it a known thing for Silver Age FC to be printer-cut at varying widths (possibly influenced by staple placement)? Is cover width a ‘range’ measurement accepted to X degree (for untrimmed books)?

To begin answering I Googled  ‘size silver age comics’, I saw range of 7 ¼ to 6 7/8 wide by 10 1/14 tall. I measured my above scanned AF # 15 and a Tales of Suspense #63 1965. ToS # 63 was 6 ¾ - 10 ¼ . For AF # 15 I used FCLE vertical black line as LE measure start, no spine or color beyond that line included in measurement.   My FCB(ottom)RE is 1/32 short of 6 ¾” wide, FCTRE is same. Top to bottom measurement is (approx.) 1/32 less than 10 ¼, carefully using a tape measure.

Next, to see examples and/or consistency of FC I went to  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/315296-the-amazing-fantasy-15-club/?page=101  Just short of half way down page, Spiderturtle January 30 posts a set of 3 books, all CGC 7.0. They all have staples on front cover (like mine) and slightly different RE.  The swooped right bottom edge of upper brown background color and the bottom three right side building’s windows and ‘horizontal’ floor divider are each slightly different. A current listing on ebay was very interesting to compare to above. Ebay FCRE extends a good bit (relatively) beyond all 3 above books http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-CGC-4-0-0273279001-1st-Spider-Man-/401198711167?hash=item5d694e817f:g:WiMAAOSw8w1X78ee

What I wonder from linked examples and from measurements of my two books referenced is if a book is definitely deemed a printing cut, am I seeing correctly what looks like a ‘pass’ or acceptability regarding FCRE end point, in terms of grading impact? Not addressing appeal, but from an industry understanding/accepted grading parameter. Asking insight drawing from anyone’s experience with cover width variances in books they’ve had graded ?

Long post, will try and shorten up the next post, though it would be a bit of a miracle if I actually did/could ;) Thank you for any and all insight!"

8 hours ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

What is the highest price ever paid for a 7.5?

There was a "sale" of $82500.00 but I think some people believe it was a cash and trade deal to reach that price - this was talked about on the boards when it happened.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

There was a "sale" of $82500.00 but I think some people believe it was a cash and trade deal to reach that price - this was talked about on the boards when it happened.

GPA shows the $82500 sale.  I don't think they would list it if part of the sale was trade. (shrug)

3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

GPA shows the $82500 sale.  I don't think they would list it if part of the sale was trade. (shrug)

It is on the  GPA but  it was talked about in this forum and there was speculation at the time - it may be unfounded but the chatter was there.

I'm not saying it's true - just pointing it out :foryou:

3 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:
3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

It is on the  GPA but  it was talked about in this forum and there was speculation at the time - it may be unfounded but the chatter was there.

I'm not saying it's true - just pointing it out :foryou:

+1

Not sure if GPA has the time or is even set up to do a detailed analysis for each individual sale.

Probably done on more of an exception basis if they hear something or if a particular sales result is flagged to them.  So, I believe it's quite possible that it might have been a cash and trade deal that possibly could have slipped through the cracks.  (shrug)

On 2017-02-18 at 10:35 AM, gadzukes said:

It depends on who submitted it. If it was Pedigree, Doug has been known to submit cash / trade as a final value.

On 2/16/2017 at 0:13 PM, lou_fine said:
On 2/11/2017 at 4:53 PM, SupergirlDC19591 said:

What is the highest price ever paid for a AF15 in CGC 8.5?

Looks like the consignor is going to have the last laugh here and not be the doofus that some members thought he was for picking up this supposedly overgraded copy of AF 15:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7158-91123.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Open-JumpLot-081514

Already at exactly double the price he had to pay for the book only 6 months earlier and we still have the live portion of the auction to go.  A definite win for them, especially in light of the extreme negativism on the boards here about this copy on its first go round with Heritage.  (thumbsu