• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Is it worth 50 000$ like the 6.5's with no chipping?

The cert# seems to be an old label number (2003/2004) which was another tight grading period in cgc history...  I'm pretty shocked that's a 6.5 but if it was graded then maybe that has something to do with it.  A question to long time collectors would be If CGC has treated chipping the same over the years.

2 hours ago, comicquant said:

The cert# seems to be an old label number (2003/2004) which was another tight grading period in cgc history...  I'm pretty shocked that's a 6.5 but if it was graded then maybe that has something to do with it.  A question to long time collectors would be If CGC has treated chipping the same over the years.

When time will come to sell it I will have it sent back in to CGC hopefully I get a 7.0 or even better a 7.5...that would be awesome.

2 hours ago, comicquant said:

I just verified the CGC grader's notes it was graded like you said in 2004. I have no plans to sell it for another 20-25 years....would that be to long to have it in the same CGC holder?

I got my book i showed earlier back from pressing and grading. Came back better than expected at 5.5! Was waiting for book in hand to have pics. Forgot to get the pic before shipping so im using my limited camera skills. Not sure how they get them so clear, wouldnt even scan well, so this is what you get...huzzah! Best book in my collection.

1stPrimeSpidey.JPG

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I got my book i showed earlier back from pressing and grading. Came back better than expected at 5.5! Was waiting for book in hand to have pics. Forgot to get the pic before shipping so im using my limited camera skills. Not sure how they get them so clear, wouldnt even scan well, so this is what you get...huzzah! Best book in my collection.

1stPrimeSpidey.JPG

Very nice 5.5!

5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

1stPrimeSpidey.JPG

Congrats nice looking book!!

On 3/2/2017 at 9:57 PM, comicquant said:
On 3/2/2017 at 6:51 PM, Drummy said:

Speaking of chipping and low-grade goodness, just got this one in hand today.  Really great color on this one, nicely centered, clean back cover -- very happy with it!

Dan

AF 15.jpg

Man, the reds and yellows are insane, then the PQ!!!  It must've taken awhile to find this copy!

Man, I still can't fully understand CGC's grading at times.  :ohnoez:

If the above AF 15 was graded as a CGC 3.0 G/VG copy, then can anybody explain how the following 2 books that's currently in CC's auction were also able to obtain equivalent CGC 3.0 grades:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=684452

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=676931

Not sure if it has something to do with the ages as the AF15 is a SA books while the other 2 in the CC auction are not?  I know you can never truly determine a grade from just cover scans, but still.  ???  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

If the above AF 15 was graded as a CGC 3.0 G/VG copy, then can anybody explain how the following 2 books that's currently in CC's auction were also able to obtain equivalent CGC 3.0 grades:

Not sure if it has something to do with the ages as the AF15 is a SA books while the other 2 in the CC auction are not?  I know you can never truly determine a grade from just cover scans, but still.  ???  :screwy:

You know the answer. CGC allows Marvel chipping in varying degrees based on the grade. GA DC's don't have this chipping.

But the DC books do both contain tape, something that CGC will downgrade for now.

36 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Man, I still can't fully understand CGC's grading at times.  :ohnoez:

Not sure if it has something to do with the ages as the AF15 is a SA books while the other 2 in the CC auction are not?  ???  :screwy:

The two Tecs have to have an issue not visible on FC/BC.  Visually both of those books appear to be 5.0 at a minimum.  On the #29 I can see a subscription fold or scratch running verically down the center but even so that wouldn't account for the grade.  The #38 looks more like a 6.0.  The only way to know for sure is to buy the grader's notes.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

You know the answer. CGC allows Marvel chipping in varying degrees based on the grade. GA DC's don't have this chipping.

Even though I am not a SA collector, I have heard of Marvel chipping. 

Are you saying that even though 2 books have the exact same type and amount of defects, with the only difference being that one book also has Marvel chipping, CGC would still give both of them the exact same grades?  Even though it is a clearly visual eye detracting defect, CGC would turn on their blinders and grade the book as if the chipping on the pages were not there.  That makes absolutely no sense at all from a grading point of view.  :screwy:

The only way that this would make sense is if Marvel chipping and a production related issue that was prevalent on all copies of the book that came off the printing press.  Clearly this is not the case as seen with copies such as the pedigree and some of the other non-pedigree HG copies of AF 15. 

I remember a similar issue being discussed on the Cerebus 1 thread in the BA Forum.  As we all know, Certebus 1 is notorious for having varying degrees of spine ticks on virtually all copies of the run that appears to be either a production binding or distribution related issue.  Even though virtually the entire print run of 2,000 copies show evidence of spine ticks to one degree or other, CGC still downgrades for these spine ticks.  I guess the rationale would be what one board member alluded to, since Dave Sim was able to scoured the entire print run to hand pick and pull out a handful of copies without the spine ticks to retain for his own collection. 

Hence, since Dave Sim's File Copies provided proof that there were indeed copies of Cerebus 1 exhibiting no spine ticks, then any copies which had spine ticks on them should then be downgraded accordingly.  Likewise then, since the Curator and other similar pedigree or even other non-pedigree HG copies of AF 15's exhibits no Marvel chipping, then should not any copies of AF 15 which have Marvel chipping on them also be downgraded accordingly.  hm