• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

What I don't understand is, why wouldn't you accept their bids. I know because their low feedback, but you don't know for 100% certainty that they wouldn't pay.  And even if they did pay through ebay, you will certainly get your fees back because the buyer backed out of the sale or you can do a 2nd chance offer to the underbidder.  Not like you are losing $$$.

I  live in Canada so it is easy for them to say it was stolen on the way (most items I sold was to the U.S). I can only insure items up to 1000$ that is my main issue. Unless I purchased private insurance but that would be very costly. And not every person is OK paying for FeDex Priority Worldwide at almost 100$ U.S (safest for me when selling anything say over 2000$).

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

Just now, Foolkiller said:

You're correct, but this is over a five to six year cycle that it jumped again on the Show 22.  So you would have had to have held the Show 22 during a downturn for a number of years to get the rebound.  Again, I'm just not sure of comparing an Action 1 and Tec 27 to a AF 15, simply because of scarcity.  But that said, time will tell on whether it remains stable, goes up or down etc., especially as more copies get offered for sale.  At least it has a great cover.

I had about ten SC22, unloaded 8 and kept two...8.5...7.5. I'm not comparing to the three you are mentioning. As long as you sold your SC22 during the peak and reinvested for something else, you will do just fine. If you held on your SC22, you are still doing just fine...but depends on your expectation.

At least you have a Bat 1 :baiting: A lot of collectors out there don't and cannot afford it.

But they could have if they would have not waited same goes for AF15.

5 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

Totally agree -- but there are people who do have the funds, and there are folks who are hanging on to several multiples of AF 15s.  Some guys simply get tired and will put their copies on and then disappear from the market.  Without that buyer there to pump up the price or run it up, the market recedes.  People were buying up AF 15s before this run up with similar theories in mind.  On books that are genuinely rare (Action 1, Tec 27, even pre-Robin Tecs) much harder to do.  Most silver age books it's not that hard.  My concern becomes when a book isn't that rare, and you can artificially run up the demand -- and I'm not disagreeing with you that there is really strong demand for Spidey -- what I'm simply cautioning is that just because there are results in one auction it isn't the new norm -- necessarily.  I'd want to see replication of that before I sunk any money in at that level because I know the book isn't rare and there will be multiples available at every single auction.

Serious question- how many books in a grade would you consider replication? When the AF 15 7.5 sold for $82500.00 in August 2016 some thought the price was maybe artificially inflated as part of a cash and trade deal as the previous GPA high was $73500.00 - so a big jump. But 2 copies have sold in the last month for 87K and 85K - giving the last 3 7.5 sales an average of $85K. Is 3 sales enough of a sample to now say that 85K is the going price for a 7.5? I'm just using 7.5 as an example because 3 copies have sold in the last 8 months that I know of and it's the highest grade with multiple sales all in the same price range.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

Serious question- how many books in a grade would you consider replication? When the AF 15 7.5 sold for $82500.00 in August 2016 some thought the price was maybe artificially inflated as part of a cash and trade deal as the previous GPA high was $73500.00 - so a big jump. But 2 copies have sold in the last month for 87K and 85K - giving the last 3 7.5 sales an average of $85K. Is 3 sales enough of a sample to now say that 85K is the going price for a 7.5? I'm just using 7.5 as an example because 3 copies have sold in the last 8 months that I know of and it's the highest grade with multiple sales all in the same price range.

Good question indeed!!

Just now, Jordysnordy said:

The trend is quite clear on copies 7.5+, just waiting for the other grades to confirm the large move.

3 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

I  live in Canada so it is easy for them to say it was stolen on the way (most items I sold was to the U.S). I can only insure items up to 1000$ that is my main issue. Unless I purchased private insurance but that would be very costly. And not every person is OK paying for FeDex Priority Worldwide at almost 100$ U.S (safest for me when selling anything say over 2000$).

Signature with tracking is your friend.  If it says that the package was delivered to that address than that is all the proof you need and what ebay needs if ever you needed to open a dispute case or if the buyer opens a dispute and claims not to have received the package.

1 hour ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

You have one too ;) and other cool stuff.

Congrats to both of you but I have been pushed out so no TEC27 for me and no Bat1 either it sucks because I love Batman. Yes I could sell some books to buy one buy I like the books I own.

Signature with tracking is your friend.  If it says that the package was delivered to that address than that is all the proof you need and what ebay needs if ever you needed to open a dispute case or if the buyer opens a dispute and claims not to have received the package.

I will know for the future but even then some people hate paying 35$ shipping on a say a 200$ item and many times they will after the auction ask me if I can do the shipping with no tracking but I always refuse and some have cancelled (always people with less than 20 feedback) that sucks when the auctions was up for 10 days.

4 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

But they could have if they would have not waited same goes for AF15.

Yes that is true too, but even if prices then were cheaper, it could be out of other people's price limit to buy.  A lot of people do the waiting game thinking that the bubble will burst, prices will come down, etc.  But from what I've seen it hasn't.

1 minute ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Congrats to both of you but I have been pushed out so no TEC27 for me and no Bat1 either it sucks. Yes I could sell some books to buy one buy I like the books I own.

It can be a hard decision. For books I really like, I tend to always have two copies. One I may sell in a future date, or an upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

6 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

If you are willing to shell out $2000.00+ on anything, surely the $100.00 for FedEx Priority charge wouldn't be an issue - it would be a must.

Yes that is true too, but even if prices then were cheaper, it could be out of other people's price limit to buy.  A lot of people do the waiting game thinking that the bubble will burst, prices will come down, etc.  But from what I've seen it hasn't.

There was a AF15 CGC 7.5 that sold at HA in 2002 for about 10 000$ wish I had purchased mine then. With the money I had I could have easily purchased a 9.0 or maybe even a 9.2 instead of my 6.5 (I am happy with mine but who would not prefer to own such a high graded copy).

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vf-75-off-white-pages-without-question-this-is-the-most-sought-after-comic-book-p/a/803-6291.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

3 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

I will know for the future but even then some people hate paying 35$ shipping on a say a 200$ item and many times they will after the auction ask me if I can do the shipping with no tracking but I always refuse and some have cancelled (always people with less than 20 feedback) that sucks when the auctions was up for 10 days.

The shipping price shouldn't be your problem.  The buyer should be well aware of where you are shipping the item from, in this case Canada as it would say that on your ebay sales page with the shipping price.  It is up to the buyer if they want to pay $200 for your item + $35 shipping.  It's not like you are hiding the costs from them.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

If you are willing to shell out $2000.00+ on anything, surely the $100.00 for FedEx Priority charge wouldn't be an issue - it would be a must.

You would think.....but for some it's a deal breaker. And FeDex only insures up to 1000$ for collectibles. I believe UPS up to 1500$ and USPS up to 1000$ as well.

The shipping price shouldn't be your problem.  The buyer should be well aware of where you are shipping the item from, in this case Canada as it would say that on your ebay sales page with the shipping price.  It is up to the buyer if they want to pay $200 for your item + $35 shipping.  It's not like you are hiding the costs from them.

New buyers = new types of problems anyways in my case.