• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Just now, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Possible not but not likely.

I don't want to go back and forth on this point and I certainly respect your point of view, and even given some of the information I know, it wouldn't mean you're wrong necessarily.  I'm simply skeptical overall based on results in a singular comic connect auction that are propelling things forward.  I remember when it happened on the Hulk 1s jumping up overnight.  

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck said:

Is it ahead of Bat #1, Sups #1, Flash #1, Marvel  #1, ...?

Point per point no. But Spidey is either the #1 or #2 superhero as far as popularity goes......it comes down between him and Batman.

13 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Sure you guys are all brave it's not your auction not so sure you would be a happy camper if it was.

I've had plenty of auctions with no feedback or low feedback buyers.  It's a bush league move to dismiss them.  This thing called communication is used to weed out problem buyers.

1 hour ago, Foolkiller said:

I don't want to go back and forth on this point and I certainly respect your point of view, and even given some of the information I know, it wouldn't mean you're wrong necessarily.  I'm simply skeptical overall based on results in a singular comic connect auction that are propelling things forward.  I remember when it happened on the Hulk 1s jumping up overnight.  

You have to understand this has happened with other key items in the comic book world and other hobbies and then the price was acknowledged as the new value point till it starts going up again. That is how new values are created sometimes slowly some times fast. If this was any other book in the SA I would be wary....maybe Hulk 1 but that is it.

When it is AC1 or TEC27  no on doubts it but when it is Spidey for some odd reason some people do. Their are the 3 most important books in the hobby not #278 or whatever.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

I've had plenty of auctions with no feedback or low feedback buyers.  It's a bush league move to dismiss them.  This thing called communication is used to weed out problem buyers.

You have more guts than I do when I sold anything with a value of over 1000$ I never accepted their bids.

2 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Point per point no. But Spidey is either the #1 or #2 superhero as far as popularity goes......it comes down between him and Batman.

If we are talking popularity then I would agree and say Batman and Superman are the top 2 and Spidey would be #3. 

You have to understand this has happened with other key items in the comic book world and other hobbies and then the price was acknowledged as the new value till it starts going up again. That is how new values are created sometimes slowly some times fast. If this was any other book in the SA I would be wary....maybe Hulk 1 but that is it.

I will give you another example, happened with Showcase 22.  I and a couple of other guys (Rick Whitelock was one of the others) bought up all the Show 22s for awhile there before the first GL movie.  The price ramped up, we all dumped ours, then the price receded -- it's started to come back again, but it can and does happen.  

I will give you another example, happened with Showcase 22.  I and a couple of other guys (Rick Whitelock was one of the others) bought up all the Show 22s for awhile there before the first GL movie.  The price ramped up, we all dumped ours, then the price receded -- it's started to come back again, but it can and does happen.  

Agreed but I am not sure many people have the funds to buy up all these AF15's.....and even if they did they would not want to loss money so they would be smart about it and keep the market stable and growing in their favor.

Like I said if it was any other SA book I would be wary. A lot of people can no longer afford a AC1 or TEC27 (including myself) so AF15 is the next best option for many.

Agreed but I am not sure many people have the funds to buy up all these AF15's.....and even if they did they would not want to loss money so they would be smart about it and keep the market stable and growing in their favor.

Totally agree -- but there are people who do have the funds, and there are folks who are hanging on to several multiples of AF 15s.  Some guys simply get tired and will put their copies on and then disappear from the market.  Without that buyer there to pump up the price or run it up, the market recedes.  People were buying up AF 15s before this run up with similar theories in mind.  On books that are genuinely rare (Action 1, Tec 27, even pre-Robin Tecs) much harder to do.  Most silver age books it's not that hard.  My concern becomes when a book isn't that rare, and you can artificially run up the demand -- and I'm not disagreeing with you that there is really strong demand for Spidey -- what I'm simply cautioning is that just because there are results in one auction it isn't the new norm -- necessarily.  I'd want to see replication of that before I sunk any money in at that level because I know the book isn't rare and there will be multiples available at every single auction.

Totally agree -- but there are people who do have the funds, and there are folks who are hanging on to several multiples of AF 15s.  Some guys simply get tired and will put their copies on and then disappear from the market.  Without that buyer there to pump up the price or run it up, the market recedes.  People were buying up AF 15s before this run up with similar theories in mind.  On books that are genuinely rare (Action 1, Tec 27, even pre-Robin Tecs) much harder to do.  Most silver age books it's not that hard.  My concern becomes when a book isn't that rare, and you can artificially run up the demand -- and I'm not disagreeing with you that there is really strong demand for Spidey -- what I'm simply cautioning is that just because there are results in one auction it isn't the new norm -- necessarily.  I'd want to see replication of that before I sunk any money in at that level because I know the book isn't rare and there will be multiples available at every single auction.

I respect you theory. Spidey will do just fine over time just like Superman and Batman. You could add others as well but it is easier just to talk about these 3.

There are always 1952 Topps Mantle's up for auction (if you have the funds you will find one).....always and they sell. Key stuff that have become socially iconic usually stay that way unless of course something major happens in the world then who really cares about that stuff anyway when you are just trying to survive day by day.

10 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

It's healthy  for the market to have skeptics. There will be back filling of AF15's on this recent gap upwards which has happened the last week. If one had held their SC22, prices has jumped 50% from the peak during the GL movie. AF15's had gap up in 2008, pulled back and stabilized and move forward again. There should be more sales to confirm recent large run-up, but the shipped has sailed, if one expect prices of a few months ago.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

1 hour ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

It's healthy  for the market to have skeptics. There will be back filling of AF15's on gap upwards which has happened the last week. If one had held their SC22, prices has jumped 50% from the peak during the GL movie. AF15's had gap up in 2008, pulled back and stabilized and move forward again. There should be more sales to confirm recent large run-up, but the shipped has sailed, if one expect prices of a few months ago.

Well said!! I should have purchased a Batman #1 a long time ago (I told myself it will not go up much more boy was I wrong) now it's way to expensive.....the last CGC 2.0 sold for 80 000$.

24 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

"they have always been honest and well-trusted."

Is that so?

At any rate, outside of comic connect the AF 15 results I think are relatively consistent.  One auction result or a series of them in the same auction isn't a market indicator, and if you're jumping on the book (as a buyer) I think you're taking a big risk.  If you're selling and convince someone to pay the "new hot price" for the book without more data points on such a common book, then you're maxing out as a seller and good for you.  Good for the hobby long term?  Uncertain.

I guess there's always that saying "never say never," but in my own personal experiences and from other buyers and sellers who have done business with them before, they seem legit.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I guess there's always that saying "never say never," but in my own personal experiences and from other buyers and sellers who have done business with them before, they seem legit.

From their reputation they seem very legit.

13 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

You have more guts than I do when I sold anything with a value of over 1000$ I never accepted their bids.

What I don't understand is, why wouldn't you accept their bids. I know because their low feedback, but you don't know for 100% certainty that they wouldn't pay.  And even if they did pay through ebay, you will certainly get your fees back because the buyer backed out of the sale or you can do a 2nd chance offer to the underbidder.  Not like you are losing $$$.

3 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Well said!! I should have purchased a Batman #1 a long time ago (I told myself it will not go up much more boy was I wrong) now it's way to expensive.....the last CGC 2.0 sold for 80 000$.

I feel you. I wish I would have went for a Batman 1 2.0+.  Now I have to settled for a 1.8 green, but decent PQ.9_9

Edited by showcase22gr1959

2 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

It's healthy  for the market to have skeptics. There will be back filling of AF15's on gap upwards which has happened the last week. If one had held their SC22, prices has jumped 50% from the peak during the GL movie. AF15's had gap up in 2008, pulled back and stabilized and move forward again. There should be more sales to confirm recent large run-up, but the shipped has sailed, if one expect prices of a few months ago.

You're correct, but this is over a five to six year cycle that it jumped again on the Show 22.  So you would have had to have held the Show 22 during a downturn for a number of years to get the rebound.  Again, I'm just not sure of comparing an Action 1 and Tec 27 to a AF 15, simply because of scarcity.  But that said, time will tell on whether it remains stable, goes up or down etc., especially as more copies get offered for sale.  At least it has a great cover.

2 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

I feel you. I wish I would have went for a Batman 1 2.0+.  Now I have to settled for a 1.8 green, but decent PQ.9_9

At least you have a Bat 1 :baiting: A lot of collectors out there don't and cannot afford it.